Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished a 10-day roadtrip from southeast Oklahoma to Yellowstone (northwest Wyoming) and back in my CX-30 and am very impressed. I bought my newest Mazda (I have two others) almost 4 months ago and wasn't sure I wanted to drive it on that trip but am glad I did. When I left home there was just a couple more than 2,000 miles on the odometer - I drove 3,925 miles over those 10 days. What is knocking my socks off is the fuel mileage - my worst tank was about 32 MPG but the rest ranged from about 35 MPG to 40 MPG. I'm shocked. The window sticker EPA estimates are 25 city and 32 highway. I live at around 500 feet above sea level; this trip took me to as high as 10,000 feet with speed limits that were mostly 75 MPH though there was quite a bit of 80 MPH limits too. If I hadn't driven my CX-30 I was going to take my F150 Supercrew 4x4 - I'd have used twice as much gasoline if not a little more.

About the only complaints I have about the entire car is that I wish the door windows were a little lower because I like riding with my arm resting on the ledge (but lower windows would probably ruin the looks of the car) and the Android Auto was a little bit contrary at times. The car has plenty enough get up and go for me so I imagine the turbo coming soon will be pretty nice. I think the sound system is the best Bose I've ever heard - I have a Mazda3 and a Corvette with Bose sound and neither are anything special.

When I decided to buy my CX-30 I was pondering several other choices that were anywhere from twice to three times as expensive - if I didn't know what this Mazda cost I'd guess it was a lot more expensive than it is. It's really an amazing little vehicle. Until the last couple days off the trip I'd only seen one other CX-30 (it appeared to be a rental) but eventually saw 2-3 more. I'm pretty happy and satisfied with my CX-30.

I took these two pics in the Big Horn Mountains between Sheridan and Cody, Wyoming - I have had many compliments on the color.
20200928_075131.jpg
20200928_075834.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
51 Posts
I just finished a 10-day roadtrip from southeast Oklahoma to Yellowstone (northwest Wyoming) and back in my CX-30 and am very impressed. I bought my newest Mazda (I have two others) almost 4 months ago and wasn't sure I wanted to drive it on that trip but am glad I did. When I left home there was just a couple more than 2,000 miles on the odometer - I drove 3,925 miles over those 10 days. What is knocking my socks off is the fuel mileage - my worst tank was about 32 MPG but the rest ranged from about 35 MPG to 40 MPG. I'm shocked. The window sticker EPA estimates are 25 city and 32 highway. I live at around 500 feet above sea level; this trip took me to as high as 10,000 feet with speed limits that were mostly 75 MPH though there was quite a bit of 80 MPH limits too. If I hadn't driven my CX-30 I was going to take my F150 Supercrew 4x4 - I'd have used twice as much gasoline if not a little more.

About the only complaints I have about the entire car is that I wish the door windows were a little lower because I like riding with my arm resting on the ledge (but lower windows would probably ruin the looks of the car) and the Android Auto was a little bit contrary at times. The car has plenty enough get up and go for me so I imagine the turbo coming soon will be pretty nice. I think the sound system is the best Bose I've ever heard - I have a Mazda3 and a Corvette with Bose sound and neither are anything special.

When I decided to buy my CX-30 I was pondering several other choices that were anywhere from twice to three times as expensive - if I didn't know what this Mazda cost I'd guess it was a lot more expensive than it is. It's really an amazing little vehicle. Until the last couple days off the trip I'd only seen one other CX-30 (it appeared to be a rental) but eventually saw 2-3 more. I'm pretty happy and satisfied with my CX-30.

I took these two pics in the Big Horn Mountains between Sheridan and Cody, Wyoming - I have had many compliments on the color. View attachment 992 View attachment 993
Nearly 10,000 miles in 10 days--- you are so fortunate to live out West! Nice pics,btw. So, your CX 30 handled those mountain roads without wimping out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nearly 10,000 miles in 10 days--- you are so fortunate to live out West! Nice pics,btw. So, your CX 30 handled those mountain roads without wimping out?
It ran just fine at the high altitudes - there was a stretch thru the Big Horn Mountains that's probably 8,500 feet up but relatively flat with only slight curves and zero other traffic - I ran through there at about 80 MPH and it seemed effortless. It was only 3,900 miles in 10 days... :) I'd be a zombie if it had been 10,000! :eek: Something interesting I noticed in watching the cylinder deactivation monitor, going downhill it showed all cylinders deactivated - this is a great time for using the paddle shifters for engine braking.

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
51 Posts
It ran just fine at the high altitudes - there was a stretch thru the Big Horn Mountains that's probably 8,500 feet up but relatively flat with only slight curves and zero other traffic - I ran through there at about 80 MPH and it seemed effortless. It was only 3,900 miles in 10 days... :) I'd be a zombie if it had been 10,000! :eek: Something interesting I noticed in watching the cylinder deactivation monitor, going downhill it showed all cylinders deactivated - this is a great time for using the paddle shifters for engine braking.
Yes, typo on my part --- meant to say nearly 4,000 miles in 10 days, lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A good road trip in a great car sounds so appealing. Haven't made anything longer than a day trip since I bought my polymetal 3 in January. I'm too covid paranoid. Last time was to Crater Lake and the Oregon coast in my CX 5 last fall.
Southeast Oklahoma huh? Been to Beavers Bend a couple of times. Also Talimena Skyline Drive lots and often in the old days on a motorcycle. Robbers Cave, etc. I am in Choctaw ( a smidge east of Oklahoma City). Where did you buy your CX 30?

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
396 Posts
How was the transmission software at not Gear hunting and knowing what gears to stay in on the inclines. Taking a 3.5 hr road trip by self on Friday in mine to go see family for Thanksgiving here in Canada 🙂

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A good road trip in a great car sounds so appealing. Haven't made anything longer than a day trip since I bought my polymetal 3 in January. I'm too covid paranoid. Last time was to Crater Lake and the Oregon coast in my CX 5 last fall.
Southeast Oklahoma huh? Been to Beavers Bend a couple of times. Also Talimena Skyline Drive lots and often in the old days on a motorcycle. Robbers Cave, etc. I am in Choctaw ( a smidge east of Oklahoma City). Where did you buy your CX 30?
I don't live too far from Beavers Bend and the Talimena Drive - my sister & brother-in-law sold their home at Hochatown and built a new one in Broken Bow to get away from so many tourists. The most noticeable thing about the virus situation is how many people are wearing masks and doing things like riding in the car alone and pulling them down to talk. I'm not virus concerned. There's a Fall Festival at Robbers Cave State Park sometime this month - lots of great fair food and huge classic car show. I bought my CX-30 in Dallas, TX.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How was the transmission software at not Gear hunting and knowing what gears to stay in on the inclines. Taking a 3.5 hr road trip by self on Friday in mine to go see family for Thanksgiving here in Canada 🙂
If the transmission hunted for gears I wasn't aware of it. If the border between the U.S. and Canada wasn't still closed for casual travel my intention was to go all the way to Victoria to visit a friend who lives there. In the past I've driven about 2/3rds of the way across Canada. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's right. Mazda's 6 speed auto is one of the best at avoiding gear hunting, somewhat because they have resisted adding more ratios. I have had 3 Mazda 6 spd autos., first and 2nd gen CX-5sand my new 3, all were 2.5s.
Of course the CX 5s downshift more up steep lopes to cope with the extra weight. The 2nd gen is good at selecting its own lower gear for steep down slopes and only has be over riden lower still for really steep downhills. It really is a good transmission in the mountains, and I expect the lighter CX-30 will do better than the 5.

One interesting tech note though, the first gen CX 5 weighed a little less in 2wd form than the cx 30 weighs in awd.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I was telling you about. We go to look at the cars and EAT. :)

32nd Annual Robbers Cave Fall Foliage Cruise 2020 in Wilburton

·
Registered
2020 AWD Select Machine Gray Metallic Mobil 1 0w20
153 Posts
If the transmission hunted for gears I wasn't aware of it. If the border between the U.S. and Canada wasn't still closed for casual travel my intention was to go all the way to Victoria to visit a friend who lives there. In the past I've driven about 2/3rds of the way across Canada. Enjoy your trip!
Did you use sport mode at all?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you use sport mode at all?
No, it didn't occur to me to give it a try. Sorry. I did like the paddle shifters for the steep and long downhill sections of highway - those paddles make sense since one side is downshift and the other is upshift. My Vette has paddles but they both do the same thing - push and pull either to go up or down a gear. The CX-30s are MUCH better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts