Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 cx30 awd GS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just installed a dash cam and powered it from the 12 volt socket in the consul. It appears to NOT shut off when turning car off. I know the camera doesn't consume much power but it is a concern. Can this socket be configured to power down when turning car off?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2020 cx30 awd GS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, found that out after posting. (first time posting).
I did found out it is always powered on. I am curious though if it can be reconfigured to turn off when car is turned off???

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
I don't believe the socket can be programmed on and off like that. More likely it's on a controlled circuit from the battery and either connected to the battery (via a fuse) so it's always on, or connected to the Accessory side of the battery (again, via a fuse) so that it is only powered when the car is running.

Welcome to CX30Talk

You should consider posting an introduction here so we can welcome you properly. It is like starting a conversation by saying 'Hello'. If you're wondering what to say, take a look at other members introductions. Some are detailed, others are short. But remember, do not post about issues in the New Members area.

If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, then read our introduction here.

·
Registered
CX-30 G122 AT Comfort Machine Grey
148 Posts
Based on the findings of my fellow UK drivers I started to check. And I have to admit, the behavior is now as described by @mattleics and @jonceebee Both the USB and lighter sockets are turned of almost immediately. This has not been the case in the beginning and the ongoing functioning of the 12V has been discussed in the German forum I visit, especially with people having experienced battery problems. My guess is Mazda had it changed with all the software updates as part of the battery drain fighting. My car has received all possible software updates in November last year (15!) and some of those are part now of the ongoing recall and service program.

@marbra , my guess is your car is not yet up to date software wise.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
Based on the findings of my fellow UK drivers I started to check. And I have to admit, the behavior is now as described by @mattleics and @jonceebee Both the USB and lighter sockets are turned of almost immediately. This has not been the case in the beginning and the ongoing functioning of the 12V has been discussed in the German forum I visit, especially with people having experienced battery problems. My guess is Mazda had it changed with all the software updates as part of the battery drain fighting. My car has received all possible software updates in November last year (15!) and some of those are part now of the ongoing recall and service program.

@marbra , my guess is your car is not yet up to date software wise.
The online owners manual does state that the socket is only live when the ignition is switched to ACC or ON. This would imply the socket is NOT powered when the car is switched off.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
111 Posts
I am forced to park my car outside ....
My use of a dash cam would be more when the car is parked to see who is lurking around (ie cat converter thieves) ...Supposedly the 5v usb ports are active all the time ...
I use wyze mini cameras (they connect to your local internet connection) and have to calculate the power drain in monitor state (looking for motion) and draw when motion occurs and it records 15 seconds of video .I dont get the warm and fuzzies that the cx-30 could handle having that on all night considering the low battery warnings and batterys going dead issues discussed in other threads in this forum.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
219 Posts
I am forced to park my car outside ....
My use of a dash cam would be more when the car is parked to see who is lurking around (ie cat converter thieves) ...Supposedly the 5v usb ports are active all the time ...
I use wyze mini cameras (they connect to your local internet connection) and have to calculate the power drain in monitor state (looking for motion) and draw when motion occurs and it records 15 seconds of video .I dont get the warm and fuzzies that the cx-30 could handle having that on all night considering the low battery warnings and batterys going dead issues discussed in other threads in this forum.
IMHO, if you want to effectively use your dash cam for parking mode operations, get an external battery just for the camera (something like the Cellink Neo). That way the battery powers your camera at all times, charges off your car battery only when the vehicle is running, and can power a two-channel camera system (in parking mode) for about 18 hours and a single camera system for about 28 hours (times may vary depending on your camera's power draw). The battery takes about 45 minutes to an hour to fully recharge when hardwired at 9A.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.