Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my CX-30 AWD Premium 14 days ago today and have driven it a few over 400 miles. I had been looking at them online since they came out but had only seen a couple at the nearest dealership (two hours away) when they first started arriving - I didn't drive nor sit in one. I finally sat in one the middle of February. I made the deal for this Mazda entirely through texts and email. I've owned a 2000 Millenia and a 2006 3 since new so I felt confident in my choice. The day I picked it up I pulled the thing home on a trailer behind my truck - at the dealership I drove it around a few blocks and down the interstate and back - maybe 10-15 minutes. Not a great test drive but I didn't even really care if I did drive the thing - the salesman insisted. When I unloaded it in my driveway there was 9 miles on the odometer.

Now, after the 14 days and 400 miles I can say that I'm VERY happy with my decision. I was originally going to get a Preferred but ended up with a Premium because I just really liked the Polymetal Gray paint A LOT. The heads-up display and sunroof are the most obvious extras I got with the Premium but I know there are a few other nice things. The seat leather seems a lot nicer than what is on my older Mazdas.

What I'm most impressed with is the adaptive cruise control. I had forgotten it being on the car until I was driving and it worked when I came up behind someone driving slower. I could have gotten it on my pickup but it was [I believe] a $1,200 extra I thought wasn't worth the money. I still think it wasn't worth that much money but it is very nice - I use cruise all of the time and it bugs me to come up behind someone who is either driving a lot slower or constantly speeding up and slowing down.

The quietness and ride are my next positive points. For a smaller car it feels and rides like something larger and a lot more expensive. It definitely feels more like a luxury car than I expected. I do keep reaching for the dash to adjust the stereo volume but will adapt to that. Otherwise the volume knob is right where my hand falls. They did a great job of placing the steering wheel paddle shifters and how they operate too - I have a Corvette with paddle shifters that are more in the way than anything and they both do the same thing - you push and pull either to up or down shift - I like how one down-shifts and the other up-shifts on the CX-30.

I do have a few minor complaints: I like driving with my left arm on the windows ledge but it's higher than is comfortable for me. I wish the seat bottom was about 1/2" wider to fit my hips better - it's a little tight but I'm sure it soften up some with use. I'm sure I will become accustomed to the lane departure vibrating the wheel and trying to pull me back when I'm simply wanting to change lanes - I live in a very rural area so I don't always think to signal a lane change because there's nobody else around. The parking brake is a little annoying - I understand how it will automatically release and all but will get used to it too. I don't like how you're immediately beeped at when you start the car and don't have the seat belt on yet. Again, I understand but I wish I could turn it down or delay it a little - I always wear my seat belt but my order of doing things is different than what the car likes. For an otherwise quiet interior I'm surprised by the buzzy engine noise when in the high revs (passing or taking off quickly from a stop) - my 3 is the only other 4-cylinder I've ever owned and I never notice engine noise over the 14 years I've had it - I would expect better in a current model. This is the only place I think the car feels "cheap". I also think holding down the volume control button (which pauses whatever you're playing) for a few seconds would be a more logical way of turning the stereo OFF instead of navigating with the larger wheel to the off spot.

All in all this is the most happy with a new vehicle I've ever experienced, even with the minor annoyances I have. (I put some black electrical tape over the airbag lights on the overhead console - at night they are BRIGHT and RIGHT THERE in my face.) I feel like I got a fantastic value for the money. My other two Mazdas have been very reliable over the many years I've owned them (not counting routine maintenance, tires, batteries, etc I've spent less than $500 in repairs on the Millenia and under $1,000 on the 3) so I have high expectations for this CX-30. I definitely give my new Mazda two thumbs up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice review
Echo your opinion...Exceeds expectations. You did not mention the Bose sound system. Definitely not Harmon Kardon, B/W or Burmester, but "adequate" at this level. Superb for Tidal hi-res of "Hamilton."

For five years, have had a US$ 50K certificate of deposit, named "Macan." Happy to spend half of that at ZERO % interest 60 months on a US$ 30K car that brings a smile to my face when driving and when I exit and look back. Jeez, I hope I don't see myself at every intersection a year from now...already have seen one with dealer plates...Durham, NC, USA

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium FWD in Machine Gray Metallic
56 Posts
Pressing the volume button mutes it; holding it down turns it off. My beagle likes to do this.

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressing the volume button mutes it; holding it down turns it off. My beagle likes to do this.
Pressing and holding the volume button down turns EVERYTHING off, not just the radio/player. You have to navigate to the music submenu then pick "source" then roll all the way to the bottom of the list to turn off just the radio/player. To much trouble. I pretty much just turn the volume all the way down and forget it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts