Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2018 CX-5 GT with cylinder deactivation and have driven about 40,000 kms - no issues. It has had the software update to address the issue and to date, knock on wood, all is good. I also have a CX-30 GT that has the cylinder deactivation and again so far so good, no issues. It only really comes into play when your driving at a constant speed for a period of time, if your in the city it isn't ever going to engage due to starts and stops. I am aware of the recall for the 18 & 19 models but other than that, I haven't really heard of it being a big issue here in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2020 CX-30 Machine Gray Premium FWD, 2020 Soul Red Crystal MX-5 RF GT
54 Posts
That is great to hear. I mentioned it to my wife but let her know that the software was probably already updated in hers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I totally agree -- flawless performance. I thought mine was rarely activating until I brought up the system monitor and found that it was happening quite frequently. I had no idea. Plus, the gas mileage is incredible, at least in small part due to CDA. I am averaging 36.8 mpg after 2,500 miles of mixed city/highway driving.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Select Machine Gray Metallic Mobil 1 0w20
173 Posts
I'm sure it's probably fine. I went with the Select trim for this reason though. Didn't want to take a chance on it.

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
17 Posts
Hello guys any updates on this one. Anyone notice any problems? Planning to get one with the premium package. Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Premium FWD and have had absolutely no problems with CDA. You will almost always be unaware that it's even happening (except for the incredible gas mileage that it helps to create, at least in small part)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Premium as well and haven't even noticed it.

I don't seem to be getting the greatest gas mileage either though... still around 23 mpg. Mostly city driving. I'm wondering if I should reset it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello from Australia , I’ve just done 1000klms run in on my cx30 astina awd , today I looked at cylinder deactivation on my screen to see when it was activating while doing 110klms per hour on cruise control , this was on a highway that was slightly up and down for 70 klms , I was curious at how quickly it smoothly changed from 2 to 4 cylinders and there were no problems plus the radar cruise control worked great , what a cool option this is . I have read reports about previous CD and recalls and that engine life isn’t as long with this feature . Does anyone with true experience of many klms ( miles ) know of engine life with cylinder deactivation on mazda cars, I was also surprised that it activates doing 50 klms on constant speed

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
103 Posts
I have 5200 miles on a Soul Red Select AWD. Have been averaging 33 combined. On the drive from NC to NY. She averaged about 35mpg going 80 most of the way. I am getting better mileage in the country then I get on straight Highway drives. Most local drives I average between 35-40... Can't imagine what I would be getting if I had CDA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
don't understand why you call it "garbage" some other manufacturers have been using it for years (Honda for example) on some of their engines.

This feature is also standard on the top GT model in Canada but there is increased fuel economy with this feature.
2.5L without - 9.9 / 7.7 (AWD)
2.5L without - 9.3 / 7.1 (FWD)
2.5L with - 9.5 / 7.4 (AWD)
There is a reason this option is not that popular. Although it seems logical, on paper, it is complicated and expensive to apply (more gimmicks, more chances that something will go wrong...). But mostly, overtime, engine wear will be uneven (among the cylinders) and will cause trouble. So, it is okay, I guess, if you don`t plan to keep the car for a long time, but again...
I either would rather not buy a vehicle with CD. My two cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My understanding is that cylinder deactivation is only a "feature" on the top level "Premium Package" trim in the US: https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets...0/cx-30/2020-cx-30-compare-specifications.pdf

I was unaware of Mazda's cylinder deactivation issues/recall when I decided on the mid level "Select Package" for my CX-30 but that definitely would have been a consideration had I known. Also the fuel economy ratings aren't any higher with cd.
All 2021 Cx-30's have NO cylinder de activation but ALL 3's except for the turbos have it for 2021. Mazda is messing with the minds of people who know about this crap and just plain confusing the public,that is if the public even know it exists. I would be driving a 2018 and up Mazda 6 n/a engine if they did not have CD. A turbo is nice but shortens engine life even though no CD. GET RID OF IT MAZDA!

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
55 Posts
I kind of forgot my Premium CX-30 had the cylinder deactivation until I stumbled onto the graphic display showing which cylinders are operating. Seriously, the only way I can tell is if I'm watching that graphic and focusing on anything I can feel. The only thing I can feel is a very slight blip like the transmission made another shift. And I have really got to be concentrating to know it happened. I don't know if it's accurate or not but sometimes on a long downhill the graphic will show all four cylinders are deactivated. About three months after buying my CX-30 I went on a 4,000 road-trip across Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming from Oklahoma - I did a lot of looking at things like that cylinder deactivation graphic. Most of that trip was on fairly flat terrain but I also had some pretty severe elevation changes thru Yellowstone, the Big Horn Mountains and western South Dakota. My fuel mileage for the entire trip was ABOVE the EPA estimate - most of my tanks were around 35 mpg with 2-3 where I hit 40 mpg. I was super impressed because I made no attempt to drive in a conservative way. There was also quite a bit of 80 mph interstate highways involved. I have no idea how much the cylinder deactivation contributed to those numbers but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
11 Posts
don't understand why you call it "garbage" some other manufacturers have been using it for years (Honda for example) on some of their engines.

This feature is also standard on the top GT model in Canada but there is increased fuel economy with this feature.
2.5L without - 9.9 / 7.7 (AWD)
2.5L without - 9.3 / 7.1 (FWD)
2.5L with - 9.5 / 7.4 (AWD)
Well it's enough of a concern for Mazda to recall 250,000 vehicles because of it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts