Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been looking to swap our BMW 5-series for something a little smaller now that we've moved somewhere more rural as the 5-series was just too large to be comfortable around the lanes we use in the area.

So what to buy?

As I've said elsewhere, we had a BMW 5-series, so started off looking at the BMW X1 20i xDrive xLine. Didn't fancy the Mercedes GLA and did not take to the interior of the Volvo XC-40. Considered the Audi Q3 but rejected it as there was no dealer nearby to test one. As two of my sons and my daughter have all had Mazdas in the past, I had a look at what Mazda could offer - and settled on the CX-30 GT Sport or GT Sport Tech.

As @sc489 and others have said, I put together a spreadsheet to compare the two cars, but in summary, the Mazda was just the better car. It has a quieter cabin, better seats, and a better ride. True, the X1 has more space in the rear seats and a bigger boot, but that’s not overly important when there's just the two of us. The X1 DCT transmission is superior to the Mazda's 6-speed auto and the 2 litre petrol engine is pretty good too. However, driving it just felt ... soulless. No involvement and no real feedback. The ride was OK in the BMW, but tyre noise was intrusive compared to the Mazda (I could fix that by switching away from runflats, but that would have added considerably to the cost).

Another major thing that marked the X1 down was that BMW, in their wisdom, have placed all the serious tech for the X1 as Options. And expensive options at that. They combine tech in such a way that you can only buy option packs, which mean that a new X1 gets expensive really quickly and looking for those options in a used car becomes very difficult. I did spend a lot of time looking at X1s that were available – even kept a list of those I liked – but getting the tech options tick-list lined up on a used X1 was nigh-on impossible, whereas I could just choose pretty much any CX-30 I wanted and pretty much all the tech I need comes with it.

To compare the tech:
  • Seats are manually adjustable in X1 unless you buy an option. You get full memory drivers seats in the CX-30s I was looking at
  • On the X1 the Navigation screen is smaller. A larger screen is only available as an option. Heads up is also an option. Both are standard on the CX-30. The CX-30 has better dash too. (I like how the speedo tracks the speed limit)
  • The X1 Sound system is basic - unless you purchase an option for HK. On the CX-30 you get a Bose system as standard
  • No Android Auto at all on the X1. The CX-30 has both Android Auto and Carplay available.
  • Reverse camera is an option on the X1 On the CX-30 reverse camera is standard – with full 360° view available on GT Sport Tech
  • Little touch – the screen wash is part of the wipers on the CX30 – no jets below the bonnet.
  • Foldable wing mirrors are optional on the X1 – they’re standard on the CX-30
  • Adaptive LED headlights are an option on the X1 – they come as standard with the CX-30.
Some of the safety tech on the Mazda just isn't available on the BMW X1. True, you get lane assist and active cruise control - and dynamic stability control and brake assist, but you don't get the front and rear cross-traffic warnings for example.

In the end I was also very lucky to get a good deal on a 3-month-old CX-30 GT Sport Tech within my budget, so I have a virtually new car with the manufacturers warranties in place, for about the same as I’d pay for a 3-4 year old X1. No brainer, really.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Other considerations;
In the US at least, depreciation on BMWs is wicked and if you trade with any frequency, the cost to own a BMW vs Mazda a couple of years is much greater than the difference in initial purchase price.
If you do plan on keeping past warranty, reliability and cost of repair is much worse with BMW.

It's too bad Mazda does not offer the U.K. a decent engine option. I would find the 2 liter too weak an engine to be acceptable over here. I somewhat understand though, the price of fuel in the U.K. being so high.
Locally The price of regular E10 is about $1.60 U.S. for a U.S. gallon or equivalent .32 pound sterling per liter.
I am considering trading my 2.5 N.A. '20 Mazda 3 for a 21 turbo 3 or turbo CX-30

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMW depreciation is as bad here - as is the reliability (with diesel X1s being worse than the petrol models).

I hear you about the engines, but, while the standard US engine is a 2.5l engine with 186 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm and 186 hp at 6000 rpm, it is a SkyActiv-G model engine. In the UK, I have the choice between a SkyActive-G 2l and a SkyActiv-X 2l which by comparison (all in US units) gives:
EngineMax TorqueMax OutputMPG
US-spec 2.5l SkyActiv-G186 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm186 hp at 6000 rpm27 mpg (US)
UK-spec 2.0l SkyActiv-G157 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm124 hp at 6000 rpm38 mpg (US)
UK-spec 2.0l SkyActiv-X165 ft-lb of torque at 3000 rpm183 hp at 6000 rpm40 mpg (US)

So the UK engines may be smaller but they're not that far behind in performance compared to the US model.

Where I am, a litre of standard unleaded fuel is about £1.19 - or about $4.50 per US gallon. You can see why we're obsessed by MPG in this country!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts