Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GS AWD Crystal Blue Mica
47 Posts
Not surprising. He didn't like the CX-30 in his earlier review. Really trashed it this time. Even this things he complimented Mazda on he only did grudgingly. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder but I find the Kia quite ugly, inside and out.

Reactions: Supafreak

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not surprising. He didn't like the CX-30 in his earlier review. Really trashed it this time. Even this things he complimented Mazda on he only did grudgingly. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder but I find the Kia quite ugly, inside and out.
Have a look on you tube when they did a off road comparison test , the Kia overheated and the dual clutch system didn’t like it at all

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 AWD Soul Red, 2020 CX-30 AWD Deep Crystal Blue Mica
93 Posts
When we purchased the CX we looked a just about everything in this price range. Seltos was the one vehicle I wanted to see so it was first on the list, CX was last.

The seltos didn’t do anything for us, not one bit. There’s an interesting look to it. At some angles looks intriguing but others makes me turn my head away. The interior is just ok. Definitely not as refined as the CX. You can definitely see the level of engagement is lacking.

the CX fits our style over the Seltos. I’d say we even like it over the Telluride. it’s a different class vehicle but we did compare it as well as many other vehicles.

·
Registered
Preferred FWD / Deep Crystal Blue Mica
171 Posts
Have a look at The fast lane off-road comparison between cx30 and Kia seltos , bit embarrassing for Kia ( you tube )
I posted this in another thread but will re-post here.

:The CX-30 has standard Whiplash-Reducing Headrests.The Seltos doesn’t offer a whiplash protection system.

:The CX-30’s 2.5 DOHC 4-cylinder produces 40 more horsepower (186 vs. 146) and 54 lbs.-ft. more torque (186 vs. 132) than the Seltos’ standard 2.0 DOHC 4-cylinder. The CX-30’s 2.5 DOHC 4-cylinder produces 11 more horsepower (186 vs. 175) than the Seltos S 1.6T/SX’s standard 1.6 turbo 4-cylinder.

:The CX-30 has engine speed sensitive variable-assist power steering, for low-effort parking, better control at highway speeds and during hard cornering, and a better feel of the road. The Seltos doesn’t offer variable-assist power steering.

:The CX-30’s rain-sensitive wipers adjust their speed and turn on and off automatically based on the amount of rainfall on the windshield. This allows the driver to concentrate on driving without constantly adjusting the wipers. The Seltos’ manually variable intermittent wipers have to be constantly adjusted.

:The CX-30 Select/Preferred/Premium’s standard dual zone air-conditioning allows the driver and front passenger to choose two completely different temperatures so people with different temperature preferences won’t have to compromise. This makes both the driver and front passenger as comfortable as possible. The Seltos doesn’t offer dual zone air-conditioning

:When two different drivers share the CX-30 Preferred/Premium, the memory seats and mirrors make it convenient for both. Each keyless remote activates different, customized memories for the driver’s seat position and outside mirror angle. The Seltos doesn’t offer a memory system.

:When the CX-30 Preferred/Premium is put in reverse, both rearview mirrors tilt from their original position. This gives the driver a better view of the curb during parallel parking maneuvers. Shifting out of reverse puts the mirrors into their original positions. The Seltos’ mirrors don’t automatically adjust for backing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they should do tests like this on mid-range models (where most people purchase) instead of the top ones.

As a side note with regards the comments in video, here in Canada the Seltos gets air-cooled front seats and heated 2nd row seats in the EX Premium and SX Turbo models, also heated steering wheel and sunroof is standard on the EX and above models.
The top SX Turbo gets a head's up display and rain sensing wipers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
TFL did their own comparison between the CX-30 and the Seltos. They gave the win to the CX-30.

Verdict: Two compelling new choices in an increasingly crowded field
If you’d asked me a year ago if I was excited that Kia and Mazda were coming out with two new small crossovers, I probably would have laughed while shaking my head. So it’s with a humble smile that I will now say my pessimistic assumptions were not justified. The Seltos and CX-30 are excellent new cars that prove that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on a nice set of wheels.

For my money, I’d buy the CX-30. Although I’d probably be kicking myself if I didn’t wait for the turbocharged engine to hopefully arrive down the line. That said, I won’t fault anyone for picking the more youthful Seltos instead — especially if you need the extra space.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Prior to purchasing my CX-30 GS FWD I did test drive a Seltos as it was up for serious considering as I owned a 2016 Kia Soul SX at the time and had owned two previous Kia's before that and found them very reliable vehicles. I had owned two Soul's so this time I was wanting something a little different and thought the Seltos would do that for me.

The specific Seltos that was of interest to me was the EX trim level (close to the MSRP to the CX-30 GS FWD that was of interest to me), however when I went to test drive one, my local dealer did not have one in stock so I had drive a LX FWD version. It had the same 2.0L engine as the EX and same transmission - IVT, so the driving characteristics would be similar. Drive wise and power it felt very similar to my 2016 Soul SX, which was a bit surprising as I thought it might have been a bit more sluggish, due to extra weight and overall size.

The Seltos EX is more feature laden in some respects than the CX-30 GS FWD, like AWD (didn't want it), sunroof (didn't want it), smart key, dual rear cargo floor, remote engine start (didn't want it), Sofino leather seats (wanted cloth seats). However, what really turned me off it was the amount of hard plastics in the interior and how much quieter the CX-30 was when I drove it and it also felt far more solid.

The CX-30 GS FWD has more advance safety features and two more airbags as well as all LED lighting. It felt a more luxurious and refined vehicle and after purchasing it and going over it in detail I also found out how well it was put together as the fit and finish was really outstanding. That when you notice a lot of the small details, as I had taken lots of photos of the Seltos when I test drove it so I could compare later.
  • Like the windows: Seltos EX - auto down driver only; CX-30 GS - auto up/down all windows
  • The differences in the size of the glove box and armrest storage
  • Dual zone climate control in CX-30 GS, just auto in the Seltos EX
  • Exposed seat bolts on the Seltos EX, finished off with caps on the CX-30 GS
  • the quality of the finish on the door panels, seat backs, cargo area, etc was so dramatically different
  • the larger 2.5L engine and 6-speed auto was a big plus for the CX-30, as the IVT in the Seltos (it is also in the Soul and Forte too) has had some major problems where some owners have had to have it completely replaced
One of my initial requirements of any vehicle I purchased next it had to have a decent size cargo area with a hatchback, heated front seats, heated steering wheel and heated side-view mirrors which the Seltos EX and CX-30 GS FWD both had.

Probably one of the main advantages of the Seltos was the greater rear foot room (my previous Soul, is better than the CX-30 in that regard), but as there is only two of us and the back seat is very rarely used, it doesn't make all that much difference to me. I am 5'-11" and can sit behind myself in my CX-30 in comfort, a bit snug (compared to my Soul) but fine (this was not the case when I tried a CX-3 years ago - that was awful).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts