Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else find the (USA) scheduled maintainance chart confusing or lacking ? First i was told "normal" oil changes occur at every 7500 miles which i don't see in recommended
schedule but only see just a "severe driving" interval of 5000 miles between oil changes. Furthermore its unclear when brake fluids need to be changed ... every 2 oil changes or
every two brake replacement events ??. Thirdly scheduled maintance does not list when to change the transmission fluid at all. Thoughts ...am i missing something here ?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
765 Posts
your schedule maintenance says oil change at: 10,000 miles or 12 months for normal or half that for severe.

There is no need to change the transmission fluid (unless there is a problem) as it's a sealed unit (no dipstick to check it anymore). My last vehicles was a Kia and the same with regards the transmission, it was maintenance free.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
730 Posts
your schedule maintenance says oil change at: 10,000 miles or 12 months for normal or half that for severe.

There is no need to change the transmission fluid (unless there is a problem) as it's a sealed unit (no dipstick to check it anymore). My last vehicles was a Kia and the same with regards the transmission, it was maintenance free.
As per the technical book it dose Infact have a dip stick if you look down from the top ... One bolt holds it on but yes it isn't meant to be serviced..

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
730 Posts
Where would one get ahold of said technical book?
I know a tech really well at the dealership snd I asked him about it and he pulled out the internal pdf documents on the computer..sadly I don't have them but he showed me .. he did mention that you can drain and fill the fluid and he recommends it after about 75,000 km it's optional but even he doesn't believe in life time fluid.. that is based on the typical vehicle ownership of 5-7 years .. I probably know more then I should 🤣 after all it's internal a Mazda documents..

·
Registered
765 Posts
As per the technical book it does In fact have a dip stick if you look down from the top . One bolt holds it on but yes it isn't meant to be serviced.
thanks, sorry I didn't notice that, I'll have to take another look.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
79 Posts
Transmissions benefit from a lot more service than is ever specified. I have a 2010 Ford Escape that has 367,000 miles on it and the fluid doesn't even get discolored anymore. To get that kind of mileage with no failures isn't an accident. When I got the car it had 18,000 on it and normal clutch material was suspended in the fluid. So I flushed it, replacing all 11 quarts. I then did a drain and refill at 30,000 miles, (six quarts) and every 30,000 miles after that. I did have the AC condenser fail at 170,000 and it has the transmission cooler inside it so it got an extra flush at that time.

I plan on doing a drain and fill, which is just under four quarts with the first oil change which will let me see just what kind of initial debris has been generated. If excessive IMO I will flush the transmission and that's going to be right about 5,000 miles. To a lot of people this might seem excessive, but by getting that debris out of the transmission it will increase the life expectancy significantly. The microscopic clutch material, and metals that stay suspended in the fluid do not lubricate bushings and especially needle bearings that result in hard part failures. The same goes for wear that typically occurs inside of valve-body assemblies and solenoids.

As far as checking the fluid

·
Registered
765 Posts
thanks for posting that JohnG, I took a look but was going to come back and ask exactly where it was located when it was mentioned earlier, however I do remember seeing what is shown in your drawing - now I know, but it's still not a regular serviced item, otherwise it would be a standard type dipstick.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
574 Posts
(not quite a Mazda) but my Mercedes was initially sold with 'lifetime' transmission fluid. Within a few years, the advice from those in the know recommended flushing and changing fluid, filters and seals every 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
(not quite a Mazda) but my Mercedes was initially sold with 'lifetime' transmission fluid. Within a few years, the advice from those in the know recommended flushing and changing fluid, filters and seals every 70,000 miles.
In a similar note Toyota Prius had "lifetime fluid". But what we found through testing was a significant rise in silicates in the first 5000 miles that contributed to damaging the insulation of the motor-generator stator windings. A simple flush under 10,000 miles was attributed to tripling the average lifespan of the unit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
but it's still not a regular serviced item, otherwise it would be a standard type dipstick.
There is actually another reason for the dipstick to be secured the way that it is. The transmission fluid needs to be checked and when the fluid temperature is 122f. (50 C) There are a lot of transmissions that require the fluid to be at a specific temperature for testing. Many only have a plug that gets removed to judge the fluid level. This makes for fluid levels that are way more accurate than what we had in the past.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
56 Posts
Transmissions benefit from a lot more service than is ever specified. I have a 2010 Ford Escape that has 367,000 miles on it and the fluid doesn't even get discolored anymore. To get that kind of mileage with no failures isn't an accident. When I got the car it had 18,000 on it and normal clutch material was suspended in the fluid. So I flushed it, replacing all 11 quarts. I then did a drain and refill at 30,000 miles, (six quarts) and every 30,000 miles after that. I did have the AC condenser fail at 170,000 and it has the transmission cooler inside it so it got an extra flush at that time.

I plan on doing a drain and fill, which is just under four quarts with the first oil change which will let me see just what kind of initial debris has been generated. If excessive IMO I will flush the transmission and that's going to be right about 5,000 miles. To a lot of people this might seem excessive, but by getting that debris out of the transmission it will increase the life expectancy significantly. The microscopic clutch material, and metals that stay suspended in the fluid do not lubricate bushings and especially needle bearings that result in hard part failures. The same goes for wear that typically occurs inside of valve-body assemblies and solenoids.

As far as checking the fluid View attachment 2151 View attachment 2152
Great post John. Thank you!

·
Registered
765 Posts
if some of you are still wondering where the dipstick is located for the transaxle here it is:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I didnt know Transmissions were sealed now .... Hmmm

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As per the technical book it dose Infact have a dip stick if you look down from the top ... One bolt holds it on but yes it isn't meant to be serviced..
What technical book are you looking at for this ..? Chilton ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

As far as checking the fluid View attachment 2151 View attachment 2152
Never heard of transmission fluid being cooled in an A/C condenser ...what were they thinking ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
70,000 miles sounds about right ...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is actually another reason for the dipstick to be secured the way that it is. The transmission fluid needs to be checked and when the fluid temperature is 122f. (50 C) There are a lot of transmissions that require the fluid to be at a specific temperature for testing. Many only have a plug that gets removed to judge the fluid level. This makes for fluid levels that are way more accurate than what we had in the past.
Used to be that you had to have the transmission in drive (with parking brake on) to properly check the transmission fluid level accurately ,,,not sure if thats still the case .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Furthermore its unclear when brake fluids need to be changed ... every 2 oil changes or
every two brake replacement events ??"

For the second part of my question:
Anyone have any insight of when brake fluid normally gets done ...or is it just a visual looking for browning dirty fluid. ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts