Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium (Polymetal Gray)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sincerely hope it DOES NOT. Damned if I can find it on the internet. I'm ordering my car tomorrow and putting a deposit down, but not if it has Cylinder Deactivation. I've had NIGHTMARISH problems with CD on 2 GMCs. It's a useless gimmick that doesn't even save fuel. It's noticeable when in action and irritating.

If the 2021 CX30 Turbos have CD, it's a non-starter for me and I'll shop something else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you, but can you share a link to some information? I've looked all over Mazda's spec sheets and can't find it. But owners of Mazda 3's and 30's have said they actually DO have CD and didn't know it until they purchased. It seems Mazda wasn't making that visible. From what I see on the internet, there is no consensus. I did find a couple of statements indicating 2021 naturally aspirated engines up to Premium build have it, but the Turbos don't. Then I found a couple more things that seemed to counter those statements. It's just not clear. Thank you.

·
Update your profile and enter your Vehicle Details
1 Posts
I have the 2021 turbo premium model. And when I come to a full stop then release the brake, I feel there's a delay before the car is moving again. I can hear a mechanical noise in the front. Do you think that's the cylinder deactivation?

·
Registered
2021 CX30 Premium Turbo
25 Posts
CD only on premium non turbo. Base and mid level trim do not get CD nor does any of the turbo models. Mazdausa.com has a comparison chart and shows only premium NA with CD. The cluster also has icon that lights when CD is active. I have turbo since December and can verify it does not have CD.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
I have the 2021 turbo premium model. And when I come to a full stop then release the brake, I feel there's a delay before the car is moving again. I can hear a mechanical noise in the front. Do you think that's the cylinder deactivation?
no, CD would only operate at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
in the US for 2020 cylinder deactivation came standard only on the Premium Package (info is from the 2020 model comparison specs from Mazda US), it was specifically highlighted as a feature. There is no mention of this feature for any of the 2021 models. This also applied in Canada as only the top GT model got the CD for 2020 and for 2021 it is no longer mentioned. There was also different fuel economy ratings for the CD vs the none CD versions.

found this in a Canadian article on changes for the 2021 Mazda's:
"The turbo option will also become available on the 2021 CX-30, which doesn’t see many changes since its introduction this year. And like the Mazda3, the base CX-30 will also get additional equipment, although, in a somewhat strange decision by Mazda, both will drop the cylinder deactivation feature from the 2.5-L 4-cylinder."

You could also phone Mazda US and ask them, they have no idea whether it's a feature you like or not, so no reasons to tell you any different.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CD was dropped for all 2021 models, turbo or NA.
Thanks. I think I've verified the Turbos DO NOT have CD. However, just an hour ago I sat in the dealership reading a generic CX-30 owner's manual for 2021 models because I was asking about this. The 2021 manual for CX-30s DOES contain information on CD on page 4-11. So, some 2021's do have it. The manual does not get more specific other than to say it's equipped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been gathering info about the CX-30 as it might be my next car. There's a Mazda salesman named Johnathan Sewell, at a dealership in Alabama, who put out a YouTube video about CD on the CX-30 about 3 months ago. He shows how the infotainment system displays the CD activation status in the Premium model of the 2021 CX-30. (Only the Premium model has it!). Look it up and watch it...Hope that helps...

·
Registered
Current Mazdas: 15 Mazda3, 16 Mazda2, 19 Mazda3 and 3 prior Mazdas
113 Posts
I enjoy Jonathan’s videos but I am not sure I would use him as a definitive source. I don’t think it is on any turbo Mazda. Before signing the paperwork, take a test drive and go into the infotainment system and look into the screen for mileage. There is an extra screen that shows the cylinder deactivation status. If it is there I would assume that the Mazda has it.

I have it in my 2019 Mazda3 and I am not sure if I ever actually detected the change from 4 to 2 cylinders. I have not had a problem with it. Despite not having a problem, I would prefer not to having CD. It is not worth the long term risk for the 1 mpg savings.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the replies! I'm hoping they can get my car here tomorrow, but being a holiday weekend, I may have to wait until Tuesday. It has to be delivered from Charlottesville, Va. to Virginia Beach. That always bums me out when it's not on the lot with 0 miles on it. It will have about 200, but those 200 are critical in ensuring proper break in. I hope whoever drives it down doesn't just set cruise control and actually varies speeds a bit to get the rings seated. Does anyone think getting the extended warranty is a good idea on these? I haven't purchased an extended warranty for a new car in decades now and haven't regretted it yet, but you never know with a new model.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would not recommend an extended warranty. Mazda is one of the most reliable brands, and from my experience and from what I have seen on the several forums I follow, seldom need more than basic maintenance for well over 100,000 miles. If you were buying one of the brands at the other end of the spectrum like MINI, Alfa, BMW, Jeep, or Jaguar, perhaps but not Mazda, Toyota or Honda.

The next issue I have with extended warranties is the value for any purchase. The back room additional charges are where dealers make the majority of their profit. Just say no to all of them. I have heard that up to 50% of the price is commission. Next they plan to make a profit. Therefore, they expect your covered cost to be below 1/3 of the cost for the warranty. Put the cost of the warranty in a mutual fund each time you don’t buy it and every 10th car you buy will be free.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium
4 Posts
CD was dropped for all 2021 models, turbo or NA.
My 2021 Premium non-turbo has cylinder deactivation. With 3500 miles on the odometer, I have no complaints about CD. Surprisingly, the graphic shows CD deactivating all four cylinders for brief periods on steeper downhills. Usually it only deactivates two.

Gas mileage is about 38 mpg cruising at interstate speeds (74 mph / 120 kph), 42 mpg on secondary roads at slower speeds (54 mph / 87 kph). Nice!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2021 Premium non-turbo has cylinder deactivation. With 3500 miles on the odometer, I have no complaints about CD. Surprisingly, it will deactivate all four cylinders for brief periods on steeper downhills. Usually it only deactivates two.

Gas mileage is about 38 mpg cruising at interstate speeds (74 mph / 120 kph), 42 mpg on secondary roads at slower speeds (54 mph / 87 kph). Nice!
I have seen the graphic that shows 4, 2 and 0 cylinders. I can’t imagine what it is actually doing but it can’t be down to zero cylinders. The engine would stop if no cylinders were firing. That might work when stopped but not when coasting. Hopefully, at some point, Mazda will provide some clarification of how the system actually works.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Preferred AWD, sonic silver
25 Posts
The CD is not on the turbo, and in the US none of the CX30's have CD for 2021. I have the CX30 Preferred with the 2.5NA, and can confirm this.

I also have the CX-5, and it has CD. When cruising at steady highway speed, or when at a light, the engine shuts down the two outboard cylinders, and the two inboard cylinders continue to run. You can tell from the fuel economy gauge when it happens, and it quite seamless. Also, when you need to accelerate and give it the gas, then all 4 cylinders are put back into service right away.

I find such a system quite preferable to the auto start stop that many cars have, and are infinitely more annoying to live with.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your reply. At least one 2021 US version has CD....it's in the manual for US models. YES on the start/stop crap. I didn't even think about that and thank God it doesn't have that. It irritates me even hearing other vehicles do that at stoplights and all I can think of is the constant wear and tear on starters and other stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Start-stop is a very mature technology, dating back to at least 2008. Most manufacturers offer it on at least a few vehicles. It does not cause “wear and tear” on the engines starters or batteries - regardless of what some folks think. Change is hard for some people….

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Preferred AWD, sonic silver
25 Posts
Start-stop is a very mature technology, dating back to at least 2008. Most manufacturers offer it on at least a few vehicles. It does not cause “wear and tear” on the engines starters or batteries - regardless of what some folks think. Change is hard for some people….

Start stop offers pretty minimal fuel savings. There is also an additional battery to replace that represents an additional expense potentially.

I rented a Jaguar SUV a few years ago, with this tech. It felt like it was dying at every traffic light we stopped at, and then roughly restarted with the whole vehicle shaking each time.

If you go on other vehicles forums, there are droves of folks that want to disable this tech, and frustrated by manufacturers not offering an easy button to turn it off. I have seen this with Subarus, Buicks, Volvos for sure.

This is more than just a change issue...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.