Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I don’t know how common is this issue but I bought a couple of months ago a brand new cx30 select i have been having a couple of issues with it but the main one right now is a high pitched screeching from the front driver side wheel as if the brakes are wore down. I took it to the dealer mechanic. They checked the pads and no problem was showing. The noise only happens when the car is warmed up and ridden for more or less an hour and only happens in slow soft braking. Has anyone had the same issue?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
283 Posts
Brake noises have been concerns on lots of different cars for years. A lot has improved over the last decade or so with regards to pad formulations, brake efficiency and in reducing both dusting and noise. Unfortunately, not all noise and/or dusting can be completely eliminated but that doesn't mean that something is actually wrong. Some noises are inherent to the brake pad material and the brake rotors. It can often be a compromise when choosing pad material between how effective the brakes are over a wide temperature range and whether they are truly noise free. Consider that noise from brakes means a component is vibrating with a high-pitched noise being a very fast vibration. When you have a light brake pedal application, the pads are moved against the rotor but not pressed firmly enough against it to dampen out normal vibrations between the pads and the rotors. Changing the brake application harder or softer likely makes the sound go away, that very likely should be recognized as a normal condition. That being said consider that some contamination of the pads and rotors can cause the brakes to also make noise. Contamination can come from products like "Tire Shine" if it is accidently applied to the brake rotors. This doesn't mean that the brakes will definitely get noisy when some tire shine gets into the brakes, but things like that can often be the true culprit.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake noises have been concerns on lots of different cars for years. A lot has improved over the last decade or so with regards to pad formulations, brake efficiency and in reducing both dusting and noise. Unfortunately, not all noise and/or dusting can be completely eliminated but that doesn't mean that something is actually wrong. Some noises are inherent to the brake pad material and the brake rotors. It can often be a compromise when choosing pad material between how effective the brakes are over a wide temperature range and whether they are truly noise free. Consider that noise from brakes means a component is vibrating with a high-pitched noise being a very fast vibration. When you have a light brake pedal application, the pads are moved against the rotor but not pressed firmly enough against it to dampen out normal vibrations between the pads and the rotors. Changing the brake application harder or softer likely makes the sound go away, that very likely should be recognized as a normal condition. That being said consider that some contamination of the pads and rotors can cause the brakes to also make noise. Contamination can come from products like "Tire Shine" if it is accidently applied to the brake rotors. This doesn't mean that the brakes will definitely get noisy when some tire shine gets into the brakes, but things like that can often be the true culprit.
Wow thank you so much for the info it really calms my nerves with the noise. Basically it’s normal. I was just concerned because of the fact that when i bought the vehicle the noise was not present, and so many year with so many different cars in my possession i have never had this issue. And also considering fact that the same place where the noise is coming from is where they already changed my suspension because of a muffled clunking noise when going over uneven pavement or bumpy roads

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
283 Posts
Back in 1986 I got to attend the Detroit Grand Prix with about thirty other GM Master technicians. We were sitting just after turn 2 and the first thing all of us noticed was the squealing brakes on the F1 cars. We couldn't help but laugh a little thinking that if it's OK for exotic race cars that cost close to a million bucks back then...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys! I don’t know how common is this issue but I bought a couple of months ago a brand new cx30 select i have been having a couple of issues with it but the main one right now is a high pitched screeching from the front driver side wheel as if the brakes are wore down. I took it to the dealer mechanic. They checked the pads and no problem was showing. The noise only happens when the car is warmed up and ridden for more or less an hour and only happens in slow soft braking. Has anyone had the same issue?
I own a 2016 CX-5 and a new 2022 CX-30. A few weeks ago I took the CX-5 to the dealer to have all 4 wheel's disck brakes replaced. They resurfaced the rotors and replaced the pads with what they said were genuine Mazda pads. After 3,000 miles I began to hear noise like what you describe coming from moderate to firm braking so I took the car back to the Mazda dealer. What he told me was shocking. Apparently Mazda has two replacement pad sets for their cars. The OEM pads AND what they call "Value" series pads which are made in Mexico from a different supplier than the OEM pads. My CX-5 was serviced using the value pads. The service manager explained that in soe cases (not all) the value pads will cause noise like described. Long story short; they replaced the cheaper pads with the more expensive OEM pads, and now I have quiet brakes. I can also feel a difference in the pedal as I brake with the OEM pads (much firmer). Since all new CX-30's in North America are built in Mexico, I wonder if they are using the "value" pads for them. My suggestion if the noise is bothering you is to ask your dealer if there is another Mazda pad available for your car. The difference is price was less than $60 for all 4 wheels. I am upset that I was not offered a choice at the time of service. It would have prevented a lot of aggravation and extra time at the dealership. My CX-30 only has 120 miles on it, so I will be anxious to see if I develop said brake noise down the road. If I do, at least I will know of a probable remedy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts