Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately a few days after we took our CX-30 home we found that the cargo floor is too tight so there is zero gap between the bottom of the rear seats and the cargo floor front edge. There is absolutely no gap there at all. It is very tight. So when you lower the rear seats and then raise them, the lower fabric of the rear seats binds up and gets caught by the front edge of the cargo floor instead of going under it. If we had noticed this at the dealership during the delivery we would have refused delivery. Our cargo floor measures 31 and 7/8 inches long at the center. With the cargo floor removed, the measurement from the inside rear of the cargo area to the lower rear seat backs is only 31 and 1/4 inches. We calculate that either our cargo floor is too long or the rear seats were installed too far back. Either way this was a failure of Mazda factory final QC, the US port final QC, and the dealership final QC or Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI). We have looked at other CX-30s with the rear seats raised and it looks like they have a gap in front of the cargo floor of 1/4 - 1/2 inch which confirms the different measurements we have of our cargo floor versus the cargo area. We will go to a dealer this weekend to compare other CX-30s and measure their cargo floors. We will also take photos of the gaps they have versus our zero gap. Of course we have to do all this because the dealer and Mazda have never seen or heard of this problem before so we have to prove it. If anyone can send me the length of their cargo floor and possible photos of their gap between the lower rear seat and cargo floor front edge we would greatly appreciate it. I'm guessing we are not the only one with this problem. We also hope it is easily and quickly remedied. We are very sad that Mazda and the dealer missed this one. But we also wish they would step up more aggressively to resolve this on a brand new car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction, our cargo floor measures 31 and 7/8 inches long. The cargo area measures 31 and 1/2 inches long. That means it is possible the cargo floor is 3/8 inch too long (or the rear seats are installed 3/8 inch too far back) which would explain why our cargo floor fits too tightly up against the rear seats. It also explains why we have seen other CX-30 with the small gap between the rear seats and the cargo floor front edge versus ours with zero gap. We will hopefully confirm this weekend at the dealer. Please confirm your measurements and gaps.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Premium Snowflake White (previously 2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic)
156 Posts
A quick, undocumented comment. I had the same issue in my 2020 Premium that I took delivery in December of 2019. The material that should tuck under the cargo floor would bunch up about an inch, mainly on the left side seat towards the center of the vehicle although it would slightly bunch up on the right side as well.

Two months ago I took delivery of my 2022 Premium (the same day it was delivered to the dealer) and I didn’t think to check this when I took delivery. A few weeks later when I lowered the rear seats for the first time I noticed a similar situation. In both cars I can tuck the material down into the gap by hand easily, but it typically will exhibit the same issue the next time I lower the rear seats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A quick, undocumented comment. I had the same issue in my 2020 Premium that I took delivery in December of 2019. The material that should tuck under the cargo floor would bunch up about an inch, mainly on the left side seat towards the center of the vehicle although it would slightly bunch up on the right side as well.

Two months ago I took delivery of my 2022 Premium (the same day it was delivered to the dealer) and I didn’t think to check this when I took delivery. A few weeks later when I lowered the rear seats for the first time I noticed a similar situation. In both cars I can tuck the material down into the gap by hand easily, but it typically will exhibit the same issue the next time I lower the rear seats.
Thanks for your fast response. That is basically my same problem. I believe many people are having this issue and simply shove the material back down into the gap and think nothing of it. It's a factory defect... Try this.... either partially or fully remove the cargo floor and then raise and lower your rear seats. Keep in mind the material must also clear the gap between the rear seats and the black styrofoam that surrounds the spare tire. Since it is softer it should move out of the way as the fabric goes back down there. Key word there is "should". Please slightly or completely remove your cargo floor and measure it from front to rear to see if yours is the same length as mine (31 and 7/8 inches). Be careful to make sure the floor is flat and not curved when measuring so you get an accurate reading. Then while your cargo floor is out of the way measure the distance of your cargo area from the back panel to the spot on the rear seats where the cargo floor makes contact. Mine measured 31 and 1/2 inches for a difference of 3/8 inch. Doesn't sound like much but if you simply move your cargo floor back only 3/8 inch you will see the rear seat fabric no longer gets caught up against the edge of the cargo floor. Also, with your floor in place check to see if you have any gap at all between your seats and the edge of the cargo floor. I bet you will confirm yours is also way too tight and actually sits on top of and right up against the rear seat with zero gap. Mine is so tight it actually leaves a distinct impression in the fabric where it sits. Since it is only a cardboard-like material it would be very easy to cut this down to fit using tin snips, etc.. but that is not the proper way to resolve this. Mazda made an error here. I just wonder how many others have this same issue and don't realize it. I asked Mazda Corporate Customer Service if they would please let me know what is the correct measurement of the floor versus the cargo area and they insisted I have to go through the dealer to get that. Why?

·
Registered
2022 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD (Polymetal Gray)
61 Posts

My 2022 exhibits the exact same fabric bunching in the exact same area. As you, I just stuff it in the gap as I raise the seat.

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
324 Posts
Thanks for your fast response. That is basically my same problem. I believe many people are having this issue and simply shove the material back down into the gap and think nothing of it. It's a factory defect... Try this.... either partially or fully remove the cargo floor and then raise and lower your rear seats. Keep in mind the material must also clear the gap between the rear seats and the black styrofoam that surrounds the spare tire. Since it is softer it should move out of the way as the fabric goes back down there. Key word there is "should". Please slightly or completely remove your cargo floor and measure it from front to rear to see if yours is the same length as mine (31 and 7/8 inches). Be careful to make sure the floor is flat and not curved when measuring so you get an accurate reading. Then while your cargo floor is out of the way measure the distance of your cargo area from the back panel to the spot on the rear seats where the cargo floor makes contact. Mine measured 31 and 1/2 inches for a difference of 3/8 inch. Doesn't sound like much but if you simply move your cargo floor back only 3/8 inch you will see the rear seat fabric no longer gets caught up against the edge of the cargo floor. Also, with your floor in place check to see if you have any gap at all between your seats and the edge of the cargo floor. I bet you will confirm yours is also way too tight and actually sits on top of and right up against the rear seat with zero gap. Mine is so tight it actually leaves a distinct impression in the fabric where it sits. Since it is only a cardboard-like material it would be very easy to cut this down to fit using tin snips, etc.. but that is not the proper way to resolve this. Mazda made an error here. I just wonder how many others have this same issue and don't realize it. I asked Mazda Corporate Customer Service if they would please let me know what is the correct measurement of the floor versus the cargo area and they insisted I have to go through the dealer to get that. Why?
I agree it is a defect, however small, and mazda should correct it. Jut a small annoying item that should not be

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Premium Snowflake White (previously 2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic)
156 Posts
Just to quibble, I wouldn’t call it a defect as both my early production date 2020 and my recent production date 2022 production both have the same behavior. I’d call I’d a design error.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,436 Posts
wouldacouldashoulda it would be helpful if you used paragraph breaks in your comments, it makes it hard to follow and understand when it's in one continuous description.

here's my rear cargo measurements
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rather than quibble some more I decided to investigate the issue on my current 2022 CX-30. The first picture shows how the material buckles out. It does come out more than this at times, essentially with the whole corner of the backing coming out at times.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Tread Automotive design

The photo below shows what I believe is the design flaw that causes this issue. There are Velcro pieces that hold the seat backing material to the bottom of the seat, but there isn’t any Velcro in the area where the seat backing buckles out of position (Crudely drawn red boxes).

Tire Automotive tire Hood Black Motor vehicle

I added Velcro pieces in this area as shown in the next photo. Again, crudely done for now using a stapler to “reinforce“ the adhesive on the piece that is hidden and relying on the adhesive for the other piece. I thing it wouldn’t be difficult to sew these Velcro pieces into place but for now I’m leaving it as it is for now.

Automotive tire Hood Sleeve Gesture Grey

Next is how it looks when the seat is returned to its upright position.

Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar Tints and shades

I made a video of the movement of the back seat, but I don’t know how to insert it into this reply. It still is working smoothly after about 20 test of lowering and raising the seat. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello everyone. I knew there were many people having this problem despite the dealers and Mazda saying they never heard of this before. Evidently it has been happening for years. Thanks to those that sent me measurements, but what I needed was measurements of your actual trunk mat and then of the cargo area with the trunk mat removed. Here is what I accomplished Saturday. We went to 2 dealers in my area and compared 6 CX-30s. They ALL had the same fabric bunching problem. ALL of them. And, to make things more interesting, we also checked a CX-50 which has a MUCH better cargo floor that is heavily reinforced versus just our cardboard cutout. Well the CX-50 had the exact same fabric bunching problem. As soon as we opened the tailgate it was right there and almost all the way across. When we put the rear seat down, the fabric just laid there in an ugly clumped up pile. We confirmed the CX-50 also used the same poorly designed fabric adhering system. The sad and funny part is while we were doing it, the dealership personnel which included Sales and Service Management who saw it all said they never saw or heard of this before. Nobody had any idea how to resolve it and they would all have to call Mazda about it. They all also said they had zero complaints about it. So we all guessed that people simply just jammed the fabric back down and chalked it up. One Service Advisor notes that all the CX-30s VINs started with a 3 which meant manufactured in Mexico versus Japan and maybe that was the problem if they installed all the rear seats too far back. FYI, they all confirmed this was a factory error that also was missed by the Factory Final QC, US port final QC, and the dealership PDI (pre-delivery inspection). All of the Service personnel agreed the fabric at the bottom of the seats needed to be secured better and that the velcros that was used was too weak and in the wrong location (too high). Just to confirm, all 6 of these CX-30s had the same cargo mat measurement of 31 and 7/8 inches long. The empty cargo areas all measured 31 and 1/2 inches long for a potential gap difference of 3/8 inch. Based on that we tried simply lifting the rear of the cargo mat and moving the mat back approx 3/8 inch which created an approx 3/8 inch gap. That did allow the seats to be raised and lowered with no bunching. The fabric does still make some contact with the black styrofoam but since it is soft and pliable it did not jam the fabric. I did also install additional velcro strips and double-side tape near the lower area of the seat fabric and that helped to keep the fabric where it should be but only with the cargo mat not installed. I provided all this info to Mazda including pictures of the CX-30 and CX-50 bunched up fabric and photos showing how the sharp edge of the cargo mat leaves clear indentations on the fabric because of how tight it is. Since there is no reinforcement under the cargo mat up near where it makes contact with the lower seat I am concerned that if we cut the cargo mat down to create the gap that the front edge of the mat will potentially get bent down if something is placed there with the seats up or down. Mazda said they never heard of this issue and had no other complaints in their system. Please also call therm at 1800-222-5500 to complain about this. I told them that since we had proof of 6 additional CX-30 and the CX-50 (which was a 100% trial score) that this was not a one-off problem. It is a manufacturing design flaw that was also missed by all the final QC checks and the dealership PDI procedure. It is a problem that is easily and seen and obvious. If Mazda and dealership personnel are simply shoving the fabric back down hoping the customers don't notice that is shameful. Especially since customers with CX-30 of multiple years are having this same problem. So I gave Mazda all my measurements and photos and asked them to please let me know what are the actual factory measurement so we can all confirm if the cargo mats are cut too long or if the rear seats are installed to far back. I don't want t be subjected to any trial-and-error attempts to remedy this. They have my measurements of 7 CX-30s and they know what are the actual factory measurements. That should be enough. FYI, my qualifications include being a tester for Audi where we would drive and test all pending Audi models searching for defects, design errors, etc... but more importantly also providing ideas to the factory how to remedy the defects and design problems. I let Mazda know this because they have similar field testers who I am guessing missed this problem (or maybe didn't miss it). Perhaps we will confirm this is a Mexico manufacturing problem, but that means it was also missed by US Port final QC, and multiple dealers PDI. So fr now, we have to move our cargo floor slightly before raising our rear seats. And Mazda tries to brag about their quality? I have als passed this along to Car and Driver magazine and Edmunds who said the CX-30 was their #1 choice by far in this segment. Shining bright lights on this problem will hopefully get it fixed faster.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
whoa 🥴paragraph breaks would be helpful so our eyes don't glaze over 🤪

I'll be honest, when I see a post like that I don't even bother reading it.

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT Sonic Silver & 22 3 Sport Soul Red
116 Posts
whoa 🥴paragraph breaks would be helpful so our eyes don't glaze over 🤪
Ok so it’s not just me….😏
I just hope the OP’s vehicle doesn’t turn into an oil gobbler like some, then I will surely be blurry eyed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very sorry... I just get angry when there is an obvious design flaw that Mazda and the dealers must have known about for years. I was just trying to help. The research I did will hopefully help get this resolved for the little guy. We all paid full price for a brand new car. We did not agree to accept it with this design flaw. You can but many items such as major appliances, tires, clothing, etc where they are clearly identified as having flaws (ding and dents, mars, blems, etc.). FYI, you can't simply chalk this up to the cardboard cargo mat floor being too long (too tight) because the fabric also gets caught by the softer black styrofoam.as per the photos above. Also, if you move the seats forward it might solve this initially, but with this design, the thin cardboard floor is supported in several spots by rubber blocks. It is not supported near the front edge. The front edge is supported by sitting on top of the rear seat bottom edge. If you trim the floor back or move the seats forward, the front edge of the floor will no longer be supported. Hopefully Mazda will respond to my request which included photos.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Very sorry... I just get angry when there is an obvious design flaw that Mazda and the dealers must have known about for years. I was just trying to help. The research I did will hopefully help get this resolved for the little guy.

We all paid full price for a brand new car. We did not agree to accept it with this design flaw. You can but many items such as major appliances, tires, clothing, etc where they are clearly identified as having flaws (ding and dents, mars, blems, etc.). FYI, you can't simply chalk this up to the cardboard cargo mat floor being too long (too tight) because the fabric also gets caught by the softer black styrofoam.as per the photos above.
Also, if you move the seats forward it might solve this initially, but with this design, the thin cardboard floor is supported in several spots by rubber blocks. It is not supported near the front edge. The front edge is supported by sitting on top of the rear seat bottom edge. If you trim the floor back or move the seats forward, the front edge of the floor will no longer be supported.

Hopefully Mazda will respond to my request which included photos.
isn't that better 😀 I'll have to take a closer look at mine, not that it will bother me much if it isn't precise.

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT Sonic Silver & 22 3 Sport Soul Red
116 Posts
Could it be solved more or less with 50 cents of Velcro to keep it in place?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts