Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my AWD Premium for a few days more than 5 weeks and have driven it nearly 1,000 miles.

The driver seat is killing me. Seriously.

I'm kind of shocked because the car is so great otherwise.

Today I made a two hour round trip plus around a nearby town and coming back I was extremely uncomfortable. It's the seat bottom that I notice the most. The seat is too narrow or the bolsters are too firm and dig into my hips. I've tried all sorts of adjustments but can't find a comfortable position. I have to sit sort of up on one side or the other. Plus my lower back hurts too. I've adjusted the lumbar too. Nothing helps. I'm at a loss of what to do. This is the first time I've ever had a car with this kind of problem.

Most of the driving I've done in my CX-30 has been short trips (3-4 miles) and not long enough for this to be a real problem. I have a vacation scheduled for the Fall and am planning on long road trip (~5,000 miles) but I think it won't be in this car. Disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be there's something wrong with my car? I have only sat in one other CX-30 and have only driven the one I bought. The 10-minute test drive before bringing my car home wasn't enough for me to notice this problem area.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT-AWD, Soul Red
18 Posts
I noticed this after a 3 hour drive also. Driving in the city, I sit fully in the seat but when I drive on the highway for long distance, I sit straight up a lot and that’s when the pain starts. The lower lumbar support encourages us to sit back so my body fights against it while I’m driving. When I arrive at my long distance destination, I’ve given my back a 3 hour calisthenic back workout.

i need a “city driving” position setting and a “distance driving” seat position.

Edit: Supercrewbear, the reason I brought up my story is because the seats are designed so that you sink into your hips. It’s safer and makes it easier for you to get in and out of the car (so their brochure says). You might be suffering from the hip-sinking like me. For my situation, I’m going to try a wedge cushion for long drives so I don’t sink as deeply into the seat.

·
Registered
2020 Preferred Snowflake AWD
171 Posts
I have 7700 miles on mine which includes a 2600 mile 5 day trip and I think the seats are relatively comfortable. I've had cars with more comfortable seats but these are not bad. I agree they are narrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed this after a 3 hour drive also. Driving in the city, I sit fully in the seat but when I drive on the highway for long distance, I sit straight up a lot and that’s when the pain starts. The lower lumbar support encourages us to sit back so my body fights against it while I’m driving. When I arrive at my long distance destination, I’ve given my back a 3 hour calisthenic back workout.

i need a “city driving” position setting and a “distance driving” seat position.

Edit: Supercrewbear, the reason I brought up my story is because the seats are designed so that you sink into your hips. It’s safer and makes it easier for you to get in and out of the car (so their brochure says). You might be suffering from the hip-sinking like me. For my situation, I’m going to try a wedge cushion for long drives so I don’t sink as deeply into the seat.
It sounds like you've got a similar situation to me. Today, on the ride home, I ended up having to tilt my seat back quite a ways to make it bearable - which made me have to move the seat forward some so I could reach the steering wheel. I was thinking if I had a pad of some sort of put on the seat base to sort of bridge the space between the bolsters might be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I did something I've not done since buying my CX-30: I rode in the passenger seat. It wasn't a long ride (20 minutes to have lunch at a restaurant in the next town) but the passenger seat seemed more comfortable. This wasn't a conscious decision to ride in the passenger seat to see how comfortable it was, I was letting someone else drive the car. On the ride back from the restaurant I drove. It was immediately apparent the driver seat is different somehow - immediately uncomfortable. I'm wondering if it's something to do with it being a power seat with the power recline and lumbar adjustment. I've done some measuring and took a couple pictures. The driver's side base has similar dimensions but the upholstery is slightly different on the outside edge near where the seats hinge - visually it appears the seating surface of the driver's seat is wider but it doesn't feel that way. The area that's the most painful for me is in that hinge area. What I'm going to do the first chance I can is go to a dealership and sit in another Premium model and also a model without the power seat.
B-20200726_174101.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like most folks, I'm like, "Who needs to read the owners manual?" Up to now, I've driven an '03 Saab wagon as a daily driver, though I've driven dozens of rentals here, there and everywhere in the US, NZ, Ireland and France. Gimme the keys, set up my seats, mirrors (gas tank release...lol) and find out where the dash dimmer is...go. You get used to winging it because rental cars NEVER have an owners manual.

Now I'm reading the Mazda manual to figure out the memory seating sequence and finding that setting the approved Mazda seating position requires over FIVE PAGES of the manual (US: 2-4 to 2-10). They walk you through every step of the process of setting you up in the drivers seat. Though I've spent less than 6 hours on horseback, both my daughters were equestrians in college, so I get the Jinba-Ittai principal. Probably the same thing I feel on my Ti bicycle, carving curves here on the N.C. piedmont. Proper setup on your bike is crucial to your enjoyment and safety.

With seat tweaking, I'm carving the twisties here way more than ...cough...legal, but in awe of the engineering of this machine.

That said, seating position for your passenger takes (not making this up) one half of one page: 2-12....Driver's car, indeed.

Oh, and for newbies like me...PLEASE check the tire pressure on your new ride. Mine was 45 psi all around when I tested it, remarking on the rough ride. Evidently, pressure is kept up for transit after production? Proper pressure is 36 psi and they mean it. Makes a world of difference to both rider and passenger.

AP

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
134 Posts
My tire pressure was also high apon delivery... around 45

Had them reset to 36 cold.

made a world of difference on ride quality.

as for the drivers seat ... I love it. I’m a female and 5’4”. I find it really comfortable. I’ve never had leather seats on my precious vehicles so it was a big change for me.

As for long distance driving & comfort, I can’t comment yet.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium AWD
10 Posts
I'm a 200 lb 5' 10" male, so definitely not small. I actually like it even better than the 2018 Mazda6 seats that I had. The CX-30's seats fit more snug, but they actually turn out to be more comfortable and provide more support. I frequently drive from San Antonio to Dallas which is a 4 hour non-stop and trip and had no problems.

Unfortunately, I think given your body shape and seating preference, you just got unlucky. Only thing I can think of is finding a seat cover and/or using a cushion/pillow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a 200 lb 5' 10" male, so definitely not small. I actually like it even better than the 2018 Mazda6 seats that I had. The CX-30's seats fit more snug, but they actually turn out to be more comfortable and provide more support. I frequently drive from San Antonio to Dallas which is a 4 hour non-stop and trip and had no problems.

Unfortunately, I think given your body shape and seating preference, you just got unlucky. Only thing I can think of is finding a seat cover and/or using a cushion/pillow.
I think you're right. I bought one of these in the picture last week and it's much better. But I don't really like how it looks in a brand new car... (this pic is not from my car...it's from where I ordered it)

I have a C6 Corvette and the biggest complaint most people had about the car was the seats - they have never bothered me. When the C7 generation came out for 2014 the seats were supposed to be much improved. When I drove one for a weekend (with the expectation that I was going to buy one) I had a very similar issue with the new seat - the cushion bottom is designed in such a way that there are high side/thigh bolsters that dig into my hips. I had to drive the C7 sitting with one side hiked up on the bolster instead of between them. So...I didn't buy a C7 because of the seat. There are others who felt the same way. I've seen two solutions - one fellow had a custom cushion made with matching leather upholstery.

Another fellow peeled the leather off the foam and drilled a bunch of holes in the side bolsters to make it softer. I've considered the foam drilling for my CX-30.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's good to read it's not just me! I've had my cx30 for a fortnight and its giving me a bad back daily, and my commute isnt even that long! At first I thought I just needed to get my driving position right, but now I've identified 2 issues. A) the seat is too narrow - the bulky centre console feels like I'm being pushed towards the door & B) there is absolutely no lumbar support - having looked at the manual you only get a lumbar adjustment option on the power seats, which I dint have. I have to say, for a car with so many bells & whistles, the lack of adjustments to make your seat comfortable is really disappointing! I'm thinking of buying a seat cover that has support built in, has anyone tried that? This is a lease vehicle, so I cant materially alter it and I'm stuck with it for another 3 years!

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
334 Posts
It's good to read it's not just me! I've had my cx30 for a fortnight and its giving me a bad back daily, and my commute isnt even that long! At first I thought I just needed to get my driving position right, but now I've identified 2 issues. A) the seat is too narrow - the bulky centre console feels like I'm being pushed towards the door & B) there is absolutely no lumbar support - having looked at the manual you only get a lumbar adjustment option on the power seats, which I dint have. I have to say, for a car with so many bells & whistles, the lack of adjustments to make your seat comfortable is really disappointing! I'm thinking of buying a seat cover that has support built in, has anyone tried that? This is a lease vehicle, so I cant materially alter it and I'm stuck with it for another 3 years!
.... The lumbar support and the electric memory seats is the reason i went for GT sport spec along with the other toys, im 6'4" and my wife 5' so we need max adjustment....
i must say we find the CX30 ride / seats very comfortable...

did your problem not arise on the test drive?
as for test drives we always have the car for 2-3 hours so we can have a good look around and test the features.

hope you find a support seat cover works....

·
Registered
13 Posts
.... The lumbar support and the electric memory seats is the reason i went for GT sport spec along with the other toys, im 6'4" and my wife 5' so we need max adjustment....

as for test drives we always have the car for 2-3 hours so we can have a good look around and test the features.

Thanks. No my test drive was for about 20mins, and although I wasnt particularly comfortable I just put it down to needing to adjust the seat more to find a better position. Plus the test drive was in a different model to the one I went for. To be honest, this my 4th mazda and I've never had a problem before, in fact the comfort of the Mazda driving position has always been 1 of the things that's kept me going back, so think I was a bit overly confident that it would be OK!

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
41 Posts

"2-3 hrs test drive" --- the salesman I had began to fidget after only 10-15 minutes on my test drive. And, no, it's not because I drove it like a speed demon.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium AWD
10 Posts
"2-3 hrs test drive" --- the salesman I had began to fidget after only 10-15 minutes on my test drive. And, no, it's not because I drove it like a speed demon.
Probably depends on the dealer and situation. Due to COVID, they just gave me the keys and a waiver to show police if pulled over. The best part was that I live 8 minutes from the Mazda dealer, so I was able to test it out on local streets/freeways I use everyday.

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
334 Posts
this is our 4th mazda in 5 years, never had any problems..hence why we return..
Drive it like its stolen..:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car is the top of line here in the U.S. (a "Premium" model) and has power adjustable driver's seat. It has a power adjustable lumbar too. The only thing, for me, is that the lumbar is too high up my back. If that lumbar adjustment was a few inches lower it would be better. I have two other Mazdas and they all have a manual lumbar adjustment but they are in the proper location. The seat being too narrow is another issue I have. I've never had a car with the problem before. I only test drove my CX-30 for about 10 minutes before loading it on a trailer to bring 200 miles home. For short drives the uncomfortable seat isn't really noticeable to me - it's when I'm in the car for more than about 20 minutes. The nearest Mazda dealer to me is about 2 hours away but the first chance I get I'm going to go sit in another Premium version and also one without the power seats to see if it's just my car or is typical to all CX-30s. Really, for such an other wise awesome car, this is disappointing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts