Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
766 Posts
Same here. It has to be related to individual body configuration.
I agree. I'm more comfortable in the Mazda than I ever was in the BMW 5-Series I had before the Mazda. Happily driving 2-3 hours at a stretch without discomfort to me or to my passenger(s). I do have to position myself in the driver seat, but once settled, the seat is very supportive.

Reactions: jhaupt47

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
112 Posts
I actually find it comfortable. I did 4 x 10 hour trips and never had a major problem. In my previous cars my ass would hurt after about 1 hour. I'm surprised the CX30 is so good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
...Update on an earlier post of mine on the seats: Well, I'm 3.5 weeks post-op after a total right hip replacement at Duke Regional, here in Durham, NC (anterior approach...De Puy hardware), a procedure that I delayed way too long. Anyway, the surgical team cautioned me about not driving until I could apply brakes hard for a panic stop. Gave it a go around the local roads last week. It might be hard to believe, but the CX-30 seats offer me the most comfortable seating I've experienced post-op. All the chairs in my house are either too low, too hard, too cushy or something. As long as I don't carry my wallet in my right hip pocket, I could sit in that front seat for hours, even though I'm not supposed to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time. Easy entry/exit. Thank you, Mazda for doing that research into proper seating position, padding, bolstering, etc..

PS: It's truly amazing how fast and relatively painless recovery is from this procedure...up and walking the next day. 8.2K steps today plus 2K on the Concept 2 BikeErg here at home. All in less than a month. I just passed my 70th birthday, but don't feel a day over 60!

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L Premium
8 Posts
It's truly amazing how fast and relatively painless recovery is from this procedure...up and walking the next day. 8.2K steps today plus 2K on the Concept 2 BikeErg here at home. All in less than a month. I just passed my 70th birthday, but don't feel a day over 60!
Great it worked out so well comrade.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After 3 weeks of driving I agree with the others that the seats are absolutely horrific. At first I only noticed short cushions that didn't support the legs up to the knee, but right now the seats are absolutely brutal towards my right ankle and hip flexor.

I try to slide further away with the seat to relieve tension from the ankle that is cramped by the highly angulated gas pedal, and then to tilt the back of the seat backward to loosen up the hip flexor. After I do this, I cannot reach the steering wheel, like at all. The height and tilt adjustments of the seat don't help.

I am 6"0 (182 cm) and 174 lb (74 kg) with a pretty standard body composition, maybe with slightly short arms. Really pissed by Mazda engineers! I have not really experienced seats that uncomfortable before, even on much cheaper cars. I will be trying to find a DIY solution with a cushion of sorts or what not

·
Registered
2021 GT Turbo, Red, mods on order
29 Posts
Subjective is the keyword here.

My lowered Subie BRZ will knock out your tooth fillings on certain roads, but the manual seats are incredibly comfortable on hours long drives, a seeming oxymoron.

And yet, a two hour round trip in my wife's new CX 30 on Monday had me pining for a plank to sit on - I'm at a loss to describe why, as she simply loves the seats.

Butt . . .

·
Update your profile and enter your vehicle details
1 Posts
I've had my AWD Premium for a few days more than 5 weeks and have driven it nearly 1,000 miles.

The driver seat is killing me. Seriously.

I'm kind of shocked because the car is so great otherwise.

Today I made a two hour round trip plus around a nearby town and coming back I was extremely uncomfortable. It's the seat bottom that I notice the most. The seat is too narrow or the bolsters are too firm and dig into my hips. I've tried all sorts of adjustments but can't find a comfortable position. I have to sit sort of up on one side or the other. Plus my lower back hurts too. I've adjusted the lumbar too. Nothing helps. I'm at a loss of what to do. This is the first time I've ever had a car with this kind of problem.

Most of the driving I've done in my CX-30 has been short trips (3-4 miles) and not long enough for this to be a real problem. I have a vacation scheduled for the Fall and am planning on long road trip (~5,000 miles) but I think it won't be in this car. Disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be there's something wrong with my car? I have only sat in one other CX-30 and have only driven the one I bought. The 10-minute test drive before bringing my car home wasn't enough for me to notice this problem area.
Omg! Just bought mine, and am having the same issue. My husband thinks I’m crazy. I was almost crying, wanted to return it. I even bought an expensive cushion, it’s not helping! What can we do???

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Omg! Just bought mine, and am having the same issue. My husband thinks I’m crazy. I was almost crying, wanted to return it. I even bought an expensive cushion, it’s not helping! What can we do???
My CX-30 was a year old about 2 weeks ago. I don't know if I just got used to the seat or if it kind of "broke in" or something. It's not like it was - it's pretty comfortable but there are times I do notice it being a little uncomfortable. There could be a little of both; me getting used to it and somewhat broke in. I have a little over 12,000 miles on my car now and am still happy with my choice. It still smells new inside too. 👍

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,080 Posts
I think on this thread in order to perhaps see a pattern (if there is one), each member having a problem with the seats, should state what type of seat they have:
  • 8-way manual cloth drivers seat
  • 10 way power leatherette drivers seat
  • 10-way power leather drivers seat
(or perhaps any different ones in other markets)

I have the cloth interior with the 8-way manual drivers seat. I have no problem with it, but the longest single drive I've done so far has only been an hour and fifteen minutes.

·
Administrator
766 Posts

·
Administrator
766 Posts
I think on this thread in order to perhaps see a pattern (if there is one), each member having a problem with the seats, should state what type of seat they have:
  • 8-way manual cloth drivers seat
  • 10 way power leatherette drivers seat
  • 10-way power leather drivers seat
(or perhaps any different ones in other markets)

I have the cloth interior with the 8-way manual drivers seat. I have no problem with it, but the longest single drive I've done so far has only been an hour and fifteen minutes.

View attachment 2358
I could maybe look at adding a Poll to the thread (or start a new one) to see where we are with this?

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
1 Posts
The CX30 is NOT a car for long trips??? Excuse me but I'm 73 years young and have been driving since 1965. In that time, I've owned at least 30 cars from a VW Beetle to a Porsche 911 to a Hummer H3 and 2 Corvettes and everything in between and the driver's seat in my new 2021 GX-30 is by far the most uncomfortable I've ever encountered...period. Love the car! Hate the seat! I've had the car a month, put on 1150 miles and originally thought it was me but at 5'9" and 162 pounds I'm average and the seat should be wide and deep enough to accomodate me comfortably. I bought this car to drive on a daily basis on short AND long trips and there's absolutely no excuse for a poorly designed, uncomfortable driver's seat that severely diminishes the enjoyment of driving what is otherwise a wonderful car. I've ordered a Mazda seat cushion that has yet to arrive and will update you on the results soon.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The CX30 is NOT a car for long trips??? Excuse me but I'm 73 years young and have been driving since 1965. In that time, I've owned at least 30 cars from a VW Beetle to a Porsche 911 to a Hummer H3 and 2 Corvettes and everything in between and the driver's seat in my new 2021 GX-30 is by far the most uncomfortable I've ever encountered...period. Love the car! Hate the seat! I've had the car a month, put on 1150 miles and originally thought it was me but at 5'9" and 162 pounds I'm average and the seat should be wide and deep enough to accomodate me comfortably. I bought this car to drive on a daily basis on short AND long trips and there's absolutely no excuse for a poorly designed, uncomfortable driver's seat that severely diminishes the enjoyment of driving what is otherwise a wonderful car. I've ordered a Mazda seat cushion that has yet to arrive and will update you on the results soon.
For many of us the seat works fine. How is that a "poorly designed, uncomfortable drivers seat"?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,080 Posts
The CX30 is NOT a car for long trips??? Excuse me but I'm 73 years young and have been driving since 1965. In that time, I've owned at least 30 cars from a VW Beetle to a Porsche 911 to a Hummer H3 and 2 Corvettes and everything in between and the driver's seat in my new 2021 GX-30 is by far the most uncomfortable I've ever encountered...period.
maybe some sort of specialized cushions you can get at a pharmacy for various seat comforts might be a way to go. We also don't know any details of what you are driving or which specific seats you have. Also there is a possibility that your body changes over time, so it may not be the seats - no offence but just a thought - my body sure isn't what it was 10 years ago or even five 😁
Did you check out the various suggestions in the display unit (or owners manual) for the correct posture for driving? With so many adjustments on the seat and the steering column adjustments there should be some position that would work best for you, it only takes one slight tweak on one of the positions to make a big difference in your comfort. I find it can take some time to find "just the right" spot that works best for yourself.

I'm 77 years old (5'-11" and 200 lbs) and got my license in 1961 and owned a lot of vehicles including the VW bug which was my very first car. I've no problem with the cloth seats in my CX-30, but as I said on an earlier post the longest single trip only lasted an hour and a quarter, but even on very long trip I always take a break every few hours.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
224 Posts
I have the leatherette with power driver seat. Have driven up to about an hour with no issues. Put on a total of over 1400miles in about 6 weeks I’ve had it. Even slept in the passenger seat one night at a car show. It ain't no pillow top mattress, but far from the worst. My other car is a 75 Plymouth Duster with a bench seat. LOL
Plan to go for a few hour trip in a couple weeks, so will see how that goes.

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
For many of us the seat works fine. How is that a "poorly designed, uncomfortable drivers seat"?
Because there are "many of us" who find the seat painful. I currently own two other Mazdas, a Ford F150 Supercrew, a Chevrolet Corvette and an Infiniti QX80 plus have owned a plethora of other cars & trucks over the past 40-something years. None of them have/had painful seats. So there is obviously something lacking in the seat of my CX-30. One thing I've noticed about my CX-30 is that the passenger seat is of a slightly different design. I have the USA "Premium" version that has a power driver seat and manual passenger. The manual passenger seat has a different base design than the power driver side seat base - the cushion one sits on is shaped differently. The passenger seat is completely comfortable and was from the beginning. If there is different foam under the upholstery, I have no idea. In a previous post somewhere in the middle of this discussion I noted that after a year and 12,000+ miles I have either grown accustomed to the seat or it has gotten worn down enough that it's not so uncomfortable. Though there are times it sucks.

·
Registered
G25 Astina 2021
6 Posts
Because there are "many of us" who find the seat painful. I currently own two other Mazdas, a Ford F150 Supercrew, a Chevrolet Corvette and an Infiniti QX80 plus have owned a plethora of other cars & trucks over the past 40-something years. None of them have/had painful seats. So there is obviously something lacking in the seat of my CX-30. One thing I've noticed about my CX-30 is that the passenger seat is of a slightly different design. I have the USA "Premium" version that has a power driver seat and manual passenger. The manual passenger seat has a different base design than the power driver side seat base - the cushion one sits on is shaped differently. The passenger seat is completely comfortable and was from the beginning. If there is different foam under the upholstery, I have no idea. In a previous post somewhere in the middle of this discussion I noted that after a year and 12,000+ miles I have either grown accustomed to the seat or it has gotten worn down enough that it's not so uncomfortable. Though there are times it sucks.
I have a new CX-30. I have adjusted the driver seat, but I cannot see the bonnet properly and when I turn I can't really see the front of the car. I am not tall, but I haven't had this problem with my other cars, three BMWs, Toyota Camry, Suzuki. I have ordered a cushion. I hope that helps when it arrives. Does anyone else has the same issue?

·
Update your profile and enter your Vehicle Details
1 Posts
I've had my AWD Premium for a few days more than 5 weeks and have driven it nearly 1,000 miles.

The driver seat is killing me. Seriously.

I'm kind of shocked because the car is so great otherwise.

Today I made a two hour round trip plus around a nearby town and coming back I was extremely uncomfortable. It's the seat bottom that I notice the most. The seat is too narrow or the bolsters are too firm and dig into my hips. I've tried all sorts of adjustments but can't find a comfortable position. I have to sit sort of up on one side or the other. Plus my lower back hurts too. I've adjusted the lumbar too. Nothing helps. I'm at a loss of what to do. This is the first time I've ever had a car with this kind of problem.

Most of the driving I've done in my CX-30 has been short trips (3-4 miles) and not long enough for this to be a real problem. I have a vacation scheduled for the Fall and am planning on long road trip (~5,000 miles) but I think it won't be in this car. Disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be there's something wrong with my car? I have only sat in one other CX-30 and have only driven the one I bought. The 10-minute test drive before bringing my car home wasn't enough for me to notice this problem area.
tootill
I've just noticed after feeling uncomfortable after 2,000 miles that my driver's seat is not level across the seat. My passenger seat is OK. This is a RHD car. The tilt downwards is towards the centre console which is level. Is this causing me to slightly twist as I am sliding towards my passenger ?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts