Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola ppl! Does anyone know if there is an option to buy an after market big brake kit for the CX-30? The current brakes aren't to my liking.

I have StopTech's on my other vehicle but they don't sell for CX-30, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 Premium Turbo
13 Posts
Been looking for improved brake pads and rotors since I got the car in December. Nothing available that is better than what is on the vehicle. I am looking more for higher performance pads and slotted rotors than a big brake kit, but have found neither yet. Wanting something like brembo, hawk or ebc. Will be watching this topic to see what others may know.

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
698 Posts
I think that on the turbo they should of upgraded the brakes because considering its has that much HP and tourque you are entering in performance and a bit of a luxury line of vehicle like a Acura cross over which usually have little bit beefy brakes in the A spec anyways. Just my opinion 🙂

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
87 Posts

A few months ago I thought 19" TSW Nurburgring wheels on my CX-30 would look great and decided a set of Brembo Carbon-Ceramic brakes would be pretty cool too. So I Photoshopped it. 🤪 I'm no expert by any stretch but it doesn't look too bad. Those brakes would probably cost nearly what the entire car costs. Ha Ha

·
Registered
2021 CX30 Premium Turbo
13 Posts
60-0 mph braking distance on the cx30 is around 120 ft. Kind of average for compact cuv. BMW X1 is about 115 ft, so it is not too far off. I don’t want to spend $2000 on a big brake kit, will not be tracking the vehicle to make use of it. Want to target a stopping distance of 100-105 ft. Willing to spend $125 each axle for good pads (ebc, hawk,etc) and a front axle of slotted rotors. The rear doesn’t add enough brake force to warrant the cost. Cx30 appears to be too new for any aftermarket brakes yet. When anyone sees something, can they post links? Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think that on the turbo they should of upgraded the brakes because considering its has that much HP and tourque you are entering in performance and a bit of a luxury line of vehicle like a Acura cross over which usually have little bit beefy brakes in the A spec anyways. Just my opinion 🙂
I don't understand why more HP & higher torque needs better brakes to stop from any speed.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Base
10 Posts
60-0 mph braking distance on the cx30 is around 120 ft. Kind of average for compact cuv. BMW X1 is about 115 ft, so it is not too far off. I don’t want to spend $2000 on a big brake kit, will not be tracking the vehicle to make use of it. Want to target a stopping distance of 100-105 ft. Willing to spend $125 each axle for good pads (ebc, hawk,etc) and a front axle of slotted rotors. The rear doesn’t add enough brake force to warrant the cost. Cx30 appears to be too new for any aftermarket brakes yet. When anyone sees something, can they post links? Thanks.
I imagine the limiting factor in panic-stop braking distance is the tires. The factory setup should easily have the capacity lock all 4-wheels, prevented by ABS of course. A low-grip tire locks up sooner so ABS reduces brake force to keep the wheel turning. If it is a shorter one-stop distance you are after, a high performance tire is probably the place to start. The more grip, the higher the lock-up point, the more stopping force. Now for repeated heavy braking, a high-performance kit would probably be beneficial.

edit According to Tire Rack, the BMW is weighing 200-300 pounds heavier and running 225 tires on 18 inch rims, compared to our 215s on 16 or 18 inch rims.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@detailcarguy They do have larger brakes on the Turbo models but only in the rear and only on the AWD ones. Not sure why the fronts haven't been upgraded.

10.9-inch solid disc (AWD) vs 11.9-inch solid disc (AWD)

@ES CX30 5 feet might not seem like much but it is. In an accident it might be a difference of not having one at all. Or a difference between no injury, minor injury, major injury or death. I'm not suggesting you spend money on the kit. I do want to though. Hence my question.

@tangent Tires play a huge role. Once you upgrade those, brakes are the next logical step. I was also thinking that the hight of the vehicle plays a role. Dropping it by an inch (1.3" I think is the current offering with springs) and lowering the center of gravity might be beneficial in reducing the stopping distance.

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
698 Posts
I don't understand why more HP & higher torque needs better brakes to stop from any speed.
Because better brakes can handle more heat... and wear and tear even the top trim level MX 5 has better brakes and less HP and lighter ..granted it is a roadster car tho however heavier vehicle should have upgraded brakes with that much horsepower and torque. The addition of a turbo was added for enthusiasts and spirited drivers and like my self I am a spirited driver and do enjoy testing the vehicles limit as I do have rally/ track experience and training.. no I know it's not a sports car but little exstra brake capacity and power would not hurt.
I'm not going to mention tires as that's a obvious one already but the two go hand in hand.. tires are not any use without brakes that can handle little more heat.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks @SkuTorr They also have rotors (rear only for some reason) and pads for a non-turbo CXs. Pads and rotors will be my next move until a big brake kit is available for the front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts