Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda Turbo Premium Plus
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Weird thing happened...I ran over someone's plate that I guess had fallen off their vehicle including the entire housing of the plate tonight. It happened on a stretch of road that has alot of potholes and I am always a little worried there. I didn't notice anything at first except for a loud crack but dismissed it. As soon as I got out of the car I found that the right rear bumper near the rear wheel was askew and there was a piece of plastic sticking out. I figured I had hit something and it cracked open. Upon my wife's closer inspection claiming that there is a whole ass license plate stuck in the wheel well and my obvious dismissal saying thats impossible, turns out this is possible ! I pulled out a whole plastic license plate holder including license plate from inside my rear bumper. It looks like it ripped off the parking sensor and scratched up the plastic. The parking sensor for that particular sensor seems to go off now whenever I park. I guess if we had a smaller gap between the wheels, the license plate and the holder would not have played ping pong in there. Who really knows ! Anyways this is a first for me and hopefully the last ?

I dropped it off to service and I think this will all cost about $500 ? I think...probably not worth replacing the entire bumper right ? Just minor cosmetics that cant really be seen from afar...

Picture below is the plate pulled out a little further than it was originally in...

video -

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
301 Posts
The dealer quoted me a repair bill of $1500. Apparently I need a whole new bumper since the bracket holding the sensor also broke.
I'm sorry, this sort of thing really sucks. You could probably report this to insurance (because you have the other car's license plate number), but it's probably not worth it.

I'm not surprised, new cars cost a lot to repair because you have to replace entire sections of the car if you get damage. You might get a lower quote if you bring it to a decent body shop or mechanic.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred AWD Jet Black Mica/Greige
20 Posts
Wow. That is a freaky thing to have happened. Also amazing is that one of those screws sticking out of that license plate bracket didn't puncture your tire. What a bummer. Sorry, man.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda Turbo Premium Plus
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry, this sort of thing really sucks. You could probably report this to insurance (because you have the other car's license plate number), but it's probably not worth it.

I'm not surprised, new cars cost a lot to repair because you have to replace entire sections of the car if you get damage. You might get a lower quote if you bring it to a decent body shop or mechanic.
yeah I claimed it, they deemed as no fault and is considered comprehensive with no effect on premiums, kind of a better outcome since I get a new bumper, I was originally not going to repair the bumper and just the sensor but now since the brackets are apparently broken there is no choice

Wow. That is a freaky thing to have happened. Also amazing is that one of those screws sticking out of that license plate bracket didn't puncture your tire. What a bummer. Sorry, man.
I was amazed too, I was assuming that the screws rode the tire till it hit the end of the wheel well

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Premium
33 Posts
Hey All,

Weird thing happened...I ran over someone's plate that I guess had fallen off their vehicle including the entire housing of the plate tonight. It happened on a stretch of road that has alot of potholes and I am always a little worried there. I didn't notice anything at first except for a loud crack but dismissed it. As soon as I got out of the car I found that the right rear bumper near the rear wheel was askew and there was a piece of plastic sticking out. I figured I had hit something and it cracked open. Upon my wife's closer inspection claiming that there is a whole ass license plate stuck in the wheel well and my obvious dismissal saying thats impossible, turns out this is possible ! I pulled out a whole plastic license plate holder including license plate from inside my rear bumper. It looks like it ripped off the parking sensor and scratched up the plastic. The parking sensor for that particular sensor seems to go off now whenever I park. I guess if we had a smaller gap between the wheels, the license plate and the holder would not have played ping pong in there. Who really knows ! Anyways this is a first for me and hopefully the last ?

I dropped it off to service and I think this will all cost about $500 ? I think...probably not worth replacing the entire bumper right ? Just minor cosmetics that cant really be seen from afar...

Picture below is the plate pulled out a little further than it was originally in...
View attachment 2275

View attachment 2276

View attachment 2277

video -

Damn. I am in New York too. Hate the potholes here. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.