Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What car cover do people use and find useful?
I am in the northeast US so rain, snow, and ice protection is a priority.
I've found empire (titan 5) and covercraft (noah) but they seem pricey and I am not sure if they offer anything that other cheaper alternatives don't.

Any advice?

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
108 Posts
If you're parking outdoors, it seems to me that a car cover being put on & off daily damages the paint more than simply sitting there uncovered. I personally don't "get" car covers unless the cover is going to be on there for a long period of time (days & weeks) - day to day, unless the car is perfectly clean (as is the cover) you're scratching the paint with all the dirt & dust on the car. I know a garage or carport isn't always available. Keeping your car washed regularly, even in the winter, would be better solution. I know I'm being a downer...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Supercrewbea
By telling the truth how could you consider your self as a downer.
The information you have given us is very helpfull, thank you .
Every thing in life has its limitations car cover are no exception.
I only use my light weight car cover during the hot summer months to protect the vehicle from U .V . which deteriates plastic, paintwork, leather steering wheel , and tires.
I also use a "California duster " used by many for their show cars to clean the car off dust pry to installing the car cover, I never cover a wet car.
As a stop gap
The O'cedar mop company has a triangle shaped mop with similar properties to my duster .B.T.W. I very lighly dust the car off, the funny part is the dirty it get the better it performs so don't wash it , hope this helps.
Donald.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What car cover do people use and find useful?
I am in the northeast US so rain, snow, and ice protection is a priority.
I've found empire (titan 5) and covercraft (noah) but they seem pricey and I am not sure if they offer anything that other cheaper alternatives don't.

Any advice?
CAR COVERS
I have spent a considerable amount for time reviewing car covers and have come to the conclusion that because of the fact that covers are suposed to take the brunt of the weather car covers don't last that long.
There are some very exotic car cover available with exotic price tags which make me wonder if they are any better.

I finaly settled an a relative cheep " polypro car cover" for around $100. under the pretex that i could buy an new cover every year, however it is your decision .
A good place to store a dry car cover is in the boot.

Both car and car cover will take a beating if left out in the weather.

I don't agree with using a car cover for rain and or snow protection because not only a wet car cover presents storage and drying problems and you are certainly not going to put a wet cover back on your car . There is also a wind limitations becaue a car cover will flog a car 's paint work and will damage the finish over time, the cover has to come off prior to pending rain and wind, so we are looking at limited use.

Covering a car during a gale or a hurricane is not a good idea, look for better parking options,take the car to under ground parking or back in your Garage.
A car cover is not a" poor man's garage"

All is not lost, at best a light weight economical U.V. cover is all you need during the hot summer months as the sun will also destroy the interior ,
other alternativws can be park the car in the shade of a building .

Do not park a car under a tree as the birds will use the cover and car for target pratice.
It is not a good idea to put a car cover over a dirty car, a new dry cotton floor mop ( never wash it ) can be used gently to dust off the paint.
A lazy mans trick ,I do not agree with using high powered pressure washer for cleaning cars, the garden hose is all you need after coming home on a wet day.
There are alternatives Ceramic and or Teflon paint protection .

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you're parking outdoors, it seems to me that a car cover being put on & off daily damages the paint more than simply sitting there uncovered. I personally don't "get" car covers unless the cover is going to be on there for a long period of time (days & weeks) - day to day, unless the car is perfectly clean (as is the cover) you're scratching the paint with all the dirt & dust on the car. I know a garage or carport isn't always available. Keeping your car washed regularly, even in the winter, would be better solution. I know I'm being a downer...
I am thinking that in the long run you may be better off with a more permant structure even if it has to be Prefab.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts