Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
been about ten days so far. they said it would take 12 days to make it and then it has to be shipped. They dont have it in stock

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got and installed the hitch from eTrailer..com BUT the wire harness is only a "universal" which requires you cut into the brake light harness in the attached picture. IMO a non-starter as there is a good chance you will cut the 22Ga wire and possibly void any electrical issue warranty. I was hoping the appropriate plugs similar to what is available for the CX5 & CX 9 would be provided. I found this post with info from Europe. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/pfjoneswiringkits/19120526PF-MAZDA-3-CX-30-19.pdf
Now all we need is for someone this side of the pond to do similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine arrived from Torklift and I bought a harness from etrailer. They both look difficult to install so I am going to get a body shop to figure it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The CURT hitch is straight forward. Release the muffler from 4 rubber isolators (WD-40 spray allows the rubber to slip off more easily. I only released at the muffler end leaving the rubber isolators on the chassis. You need to use die grinder to enlarge hole in frame that will allow the bolts and lock plates to slide in. The hole needs to be wide enough for the bolt heads. CURT includes stiff wire fixtures that you thread onto the bolts and then the long end goes into the frame and out the mounting hole With all 4 bolts located ( I thread nuts on for a few turns so they don't get pushed back into the frame.)
Raise the hitch and be sure to start each nut one at a time. You can do one end first and leave enough "wiggle room to get the threads through the hitch. Once all nuts are on tighten up then torque down.

Wire harness is different matter. It is a universal set and there is very little room to get to the harness wires. I learned that the female socket wire holes were too small for normal elecreic probe and even too small for paper clip. A straight pin is small enough to make contact so you can identify which connector is which circuit. But that's the easy part. I was concerned that the crimp connectors might cut the small wire so I stopped. I am returning wire to eTrailer and am hoping some one will get the harness from the place in Europe that has a "Plug-In" harness.

Here is more info on European Harness CX-30 trailer hitch harness installation

Good Luck

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX 30 preferred trim
17 Posts
The CURT hitch is straight forward. Release the muffler from 4 rubber isolators (WD-40 spray allows the rubber to slip off more easily. I only released at the muffler end leaving the rubber isolators on the chassis. You need to use die grinder to enlarge hole in frame that will allow the bolts and lock plates to slide in. The hole needs to be wide enough for the bolt heads. CURT includes stiff wire fixtures that you thread onto the bolts and then the long end goes into the frame and out the mounting hole With all 4 bolts located ( I thread nuts on for a few turns so they don't get pushed back into the frame.)
Raise the hitch and be sure to start each nut one at a time. You can do one end first and leave enough "wiggle room to get the threads through the hitch. Once all nuts are on tighten up then torque down.

Wire harness is different matter. It is a universal set and there is very little room to get to the harness wires. I learned that the female socket wire holes were too small for normal elecreic probe and even too small for paper clip. A straight pin is small enough to make contact so you can identify which connector is which circuit. But that's the easy part. I was concerned that the crimp connectors might cut the small wire so I stopped. I am returning wire to eTrailer and am hoping some one will get the harness from the place in Europe that has a "Plug-In" harness.

Here is more info on European Harness CX-30 trailer hitch harness installation

Good Luck
Is this what you are looking for? The best I can tell it just plugs right in no cutting or splicing wires. Says custom fit for CX 30

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a small update from my not-really-a-hitch but a bike rack experience. Had a trip planned for the beach and wanted to try a Saris 3 bike rack vs an Eco hitch as discussed here in this thread. The Torklift guys were super nice, but as you know, it takes some time to build these things and I needed something within 3 weeks. So looked at Saris and looked at every review and didnt see any red flags...other than people saying the soft plastic covered brackets would sometimes slip and damage plastic if not mounted correctly. The older Saris units used to mount at the bottom, just above your bumper and pushed up against the license plate area - causing many to see damage. Saris then redesigned for the bottom footers to rest on top of the bumper - what seemed like a better way to go.

Have to tell you that our CX30 now has bumper bends now from the two footing that rest in this area. Not happy at all...spent about 30 mins with a heat gun and corrected the bends, but not like the original gap lines you see in the new car pic below. Needless to say, I am returning the Saris unit and going hitch at some point.

The CX30 drove amazing on highway - even with bikes locked into place with the Saris. But sadly, I dont like things that cause damage like this. Not sure if someone was wanting to know of Saris application to our CX30, but feel free to ask me any questions.

Also, my accessory metal strip was slightly bent on far right corner during my install many months ago - had nothing to do with the Saris.

When we too delivery of our CX30:

Mounted correctly and hatch slightly opened to secure the rubber covered hooks. Gate was closed up when all looked good:

All gassed up and ready for beach:

And the damage that was caused:

·
Registered
20 CX-30 AWD JBM Prem
146 Posts
Your car, you can do as you like. Me, I wouldn't ever attach one of those to any car of mine.
Hitch mounted bike racks are the way to go.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a hatch-mount bike rack like yours (not as nice as yours actually, but same idea) on my old Mazda 3. It did the job, but it also left scuff marks on the top where the straps rub on the spoiler. You may not see scuff marks yet but eventually it probably will.

My car was already pretty old by the time I noticed the scuff marks so it wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TBP, very much looking forward to seeing the pix and learning of your install experience. Got mine from Torklift recently, just haven't gotten around to installing mine yet.

·
Registered
20 CX-30 GT DCBlue w/Gyeon Syncro Ceramic Coat + PPF
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My question now with getting a Kurt or TorkLift hitch... if I throw a hitch mount bike rack on, is it going to throw all the safety systems into panic? I have a GT so there is blind spot monitoring, backup sensors, rear cross-traffic alert, etc....

·
Registered
17 Posts
My question now with getting a Kurt or TorkLift hitch... if I throw a hitch mount bike rack on, is it going to throw all the safety systems into panic? I have a GT so there is blind spot monitoring, backup sensors, rear cross-traffic alert, etc....
Not sure about Canadian spec options, but should not mess with anything I know of except the rear camera. On highway with our other rack, had no issues with BLMs, RCTA, etc.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts