Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
114 Posts
44. Previous car was a mini cooper which I bought after a Mazda 3 2010 model that I kept trouble free for 6 years.

I loved the mini until things started going wrong. So I remembered my Mazda being reliable and cheap to maintain and got the CX30. Hoping to keep it for 10 or so years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been driveling since 1957, 79 years old. I've had a bunch of cars/trucks/motorcycles. Mazda's: Cosmo,rotary, 4wheel disc brakes and independent rear suspension. 2nd gen RX7, 2016 3 hatch 6 speed, 2019 CX3 which I did not like. Current CX30 2021 which is much better. Cars that stood out: BMW2002tii, 911s Porsche, '68 Z-28,'75 Chevy van, mid '70s f150 300 Ci truck, '95 325I BMW.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 FWD Preferred
22 Posts
69. Previous car was a Forester XT. It’s interesting the age category of 60 and up is well represented among forum members. At least by the ones who chose to respond so far.

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
113 Posts
69. Previous car was a Forester XT. It’s interesting the age category of 60 and up is well represented among forum members. At least by the ones who chose to respond so far.
My previous vehicle was also a Forester XT (10 yrs old) --- have fond memories of it. Do you miss yours, too?

·
Registered
114 Posts
How do you guys compare the CX30 to the Forester? I remember having one as a rental for a week and I loved driving it. It was probably the car that planted the seed of owning an SUV one day. But when it came to buying one somehow I preferred the look of the CX30.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How do you guys compare the CX30 to the Forester? I remember having one as a rental for a week and I loved driving it. It was probably the car that planted the seed of owning an SUV one day. But when it came to buying one somehow I preferred the look of the CX30.
Features like great visibility on the Forester; cabin felt roomier, as well. The window line on my CX 30 is so high, can't rest my elbow on the sill while driving because it's so elevated. Miss the heated side mirrors, too. As the saying goes---- "it's the little things".

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,364 Posts
not sure on Australian specs, but the Forester is a much larger vehicle than the CX-30 and really should be compared to the CX-5, also here in Canada the Forester is a much more expensive vehicle, so it depends how much you want to spend.

Personally I don't like large vehicles (my previous vehicle was 10" shorter) so want to keep things as compact as possible, also has to be within a price range that I'm comfortable with and the features that interest me (and the CX-30 ticked most of those boxes). When I was shopping the only Subaru that I compared it to was the Crosstrek but eliminated that early in the process.

Reactions: Navii

·
Registered
114 Posts
not sure on UK specs, but the Forester is a much larger vehicle than the CX-30 and really should be compared to the CX-5, also here in Canada the Forester is a much more expensive vehicle, so it depends how much you want to spend.

Personally I don't like large vehicles (my previous vehicle was 10" shorter) so want to keep things as compact as possible, also has to be within a price range that I'm comfortable with and the features that interest me (and the CX-30 ticked most of those boxes). When I was shopping the only Subaru that I compared it to was the Crosstrek but eliminated that early in the process.
Ah yes. In Australia I would have gotten less features in a Forester for the same price as the Mazda. Granted I wasn't taking the AWD into the calculation. For my city driving the Mazda is a better size. But for country roads, while taking a holiday the Forester sure was nice... We even slept in the back of it once with the back seats down.

Much like for you, the Crosstrek is the more comparable vehicle here, and I also ruled it our early on.

·
Registered
Current Mazdas: 15 Mazda3, 16 Mazda2, 19 Mazda3 and 3 prior Mazdas
113 Posts
My wife drives Subarus. I drive Mazdas. Currently I have a Mazda3 and she is on her second Forester. The Forester drives like a truck to me. Bounces around on the highway. Constant beeping and dozens of illuminated data points from all directions in the drivers face. Mazdas are driver focused with few distractions. The CX-30 is more comparable to the Crosstrek and the CX-5 is closer to the CX-5 but in a different class, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 FWD Preferred
22 Posts
My previous vehicle was also a Forester XT (10 yrs old) --- have fond memories of it. Do you miss yours, too?
I had an ‘18 Forester XT and really liked it (turbo power was nice to have) but it had a catestrophic engine fail at just 10,500 miles. Major disappointment. The repairs were covered under warranty ($7,800 in parts plus labor) and it took the dealer 5 weeks to finish the work. They gave me a Crosstrek as a loaner and I put about 700 miles on it over the 5 weeks. I found I really liked the smaller size and niftier handling making it more fun to drive than the Forester even though it couldn’t compare power wise. I also realized I could get by with the smaller rear cabin which was perfectly adequate for my needs. With such a huge engine fail at only 10,500 miles I had a concern about possible problems long term with the Forester. The combination of that concern and realizing how much I enjoyed the Crosstrek I began thinking of making a change. At that same time the CX - 30 was getting introduced to the US with a lot of buzz. It was similar in size to the Crosstrek. I researched it and test drove it. I liked it better than Crosstrek - traditional trans vs CVT, more power, better handling, the interior and the exterior styling are more to my liking. I wound up selling the Forester and getting the CX -30.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had an ‘18 Forester XT and really liked it (turbo power was nice to have) but it had a catestrophic engine fail at just 10,500 miles. Major disappointment. The repairs were covered under warranty ($7,800 in parts plus labor) and it took the dealer 5 weeks to finish the work. They gave me a Crosstrek as a loaner and I put about 700 miles on it over the 5 weeks. I found I really liked the smaller size and niftier handling making it more fun to drive than the Forester even though it couldn’t compare power wise. I also realized I could get by with the smaller rear cabin which was perfectly adequate for my needs. With such a huge engine fail at only 10,500 miles I had a concern about possible problems long term with the Forester. The combination of that concern and realizing how much I enjoyed the Crosstrek I began thinking of making a change. At that same time the CX - 30 was getting introduced to the US with a lot of buzz. It was similar in size to the Crosstrek. I researched it and test drove it. I liked it better than Crosstrek - traditional trans vs CVT, more power, better handling, the interior and the exterior styling are more to my liking. I wound up selling the Forester and getting the CX -30.
Sorry to hear about your Forester's engine failure at such a low mileage (at least you were still covered under warranty). Just a major fluke! I, too, looked at a Crosstrek last year but decided it was under powered (not to mention the CVT). I like my CX 30 --- just wish Mazda had included extras found in other Markets. Such as heated steering wheel, heated side mirrors, power outlet in boot.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
55 Posts
I think we need to get this thread caught up! Since it is the original age posting site.

I'm a 60 year old male, first turbo was a Chevy Sonic which was BNR boosted adding to the fun. 2nd turbo was the 2017 Kia Sportage SX. At this stage in my life I plan to replace my car every 5 years or so (if there is a better alternative for my taste at that time).
Key1

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
7 Posts
26F here. My previous cars were a [god-forsaken, awful] GrandAm, a 2006 Acura TSX, and a 2008 Prius.

Maybe the 50+ age range representation here is biased in that younger drivers of non-enthusiast type cars normally don’t peruse owner forums? Anecdotally, nobody else I know does. Interesting indeed.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts