Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a 2021 CX-30 (Select Trim) in the US. My choice has been between this and the 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport. One of the things I like much better about the Crosstrek is that the cargo area isn't carpeted, so it's ready for messes and easy cleaning + it comes will all-weather mats for the rest of the car. But in the end, I preferred the CX-30 for more important reasons.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum has an opinion regarding buying the mats (front, rear, and cargo) from the dealership when I buy the car, or get them aftermarket (US). And if aftermarket, any recommendations regarding the brand/supplier?

Also, regarding the cargo area ... I would love protection for not only the main cargo area (when the rear seats are up), but also the back of the seats when they're folded down. I do a lot of hiking and might be be getting a dog in the near future, and don't want the interior to turn into a mess.

And just a little venting ... why do car manufactures continue to use carpeting for areas that are constantly going to get dirty?!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
219 Posts
I have the WeatherTech mats for the front and rear as well as the hatch area. They have nice deep side walls to keep liquids contained, with the exception of the area around the gas pedal, which is floor-mounted and therefore cannot have the mat go underneath it and must be cut low around it. As such, any mat you buy will be vulnerable in that area to allowing liquid and salt to get onto the base carpet. Unlike the Mazda OEM high-wall mats, the WeatherTech covers more of the dead pedal area as well.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the WeatherTech mats for the front and rear as well as the hatch area. They have nice deep side walls to keep liquids contained, with the exception of the area around the gas pedal, which is floor-mounted and therefore cannot have the mat go underneath it and must be cut low around it. As such, any mat you buy will be vulnerable in that area to allowing liquid and salt to get onto the base carpet. Unlike the Mazda OEM high-wall mats, the WeatherTech covers more of the dead pedal area as well.
Thanks for the reply. I checked the WeatherTech site, chose 2021 CX-30 and the results came back showing me 2019 CX-5 items. Perhaps sizes are the same? I'll check with them. When you mentioned "cut low around it" do you mean that's how it's made, or you had to cut it yourself?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
219 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I checked the WeatherTech site, chose 2021 CX-30 and the results came back showing me 2019 CX-5 items. Perhaps sizes are the same? I'll check with them. When you mentioned "cut low around it" do you mean that's how it's made, or you had to cut it yourself?
No, that's how the mats come. They are a perfect laser fit to the floors, but with some vehicles the gas pedal hangs from the firewall, like your brake pedal does. In others, like the CX-30, the gas pedal is floor mounted and therefore a mat has to fit around it and can't really have a high wall in that particular area. Since your boots in the winter will have snow and salt on them, it will drip down the pedal and eventually may make its way to the main carpet itself.

Here is a link to the mats on the US WeatherTech site: 2021 Mazda CX-30 | Floor Mats - Laser measured floor mats for a perfect fit | WeatherTech

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, that's how the mats come. They are a perfect laser fit to the floors, but with some vehicles the gas pedal hangs from the firewall, like your brake pedal does. In others, like the CX-30, the gas pedal is floor mounted and therefore a mat has to fit around it and can't really have a high wall in that particular area. Since your boots in the winter will have snow and salt on them, it will drip down the pedal and eventually may make its way to the main carpet itself.

Here is a link to the mats on the US WeatherTech site: 2021 Mazda CX-30 | Floor Mats - Laser measured floor mats for a perfect fit | WeatherTech
Thanks so much for the low-down. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,521 Posts
I went with the OEM floor mat set (high side) and cargo area mat as I liked the thick rubber material. I've had WT mats before and considered them before I got the OEM mats, however they do not have the dead-pedal partial coverage like WT. I found my local dealer as cheap as anywhere else I checked.
I use a large rubber floor mat cut to size to fit in the rear area to prevent excess messes and it's long enough to extend over the rear bumper so it doesn't get damaged putting items inside and even a cargo tarp with high sides (hook on the front seat head-rests and side windows) if that is not enough.

Reactions: zico21

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
376 Posts
I agree about the weather tech mats...i have them, and have had them in many cars over the Years. But what is it with mazda and a floor mounted accelerator pedal?! I thought that went out in '64! Do their engineers not think of stuff like keeping carpets clean and inst'ling mats?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I agree about the weather tech mats...i have them, and have had them in many cars over the Years. But what is it with mazda and a floor mounted accelerator pedal?! I thought that went out in '64! Do their engineers not think of stuff like keeping carpets clean and inst'ling mats?
It may be Mazda's response to the floor mat getting caught under the accelerator causing unintended acceleration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I forget which manufacturer it was, but they contributed a number of accidents to the floor mat getting stuck under the break pedal, preventing it from being fully pressed. Seems equally bad as a floor mat pressing the accelerator causing unintended acceleration.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I forget which manufacturer it was, but they contributed a number of accidents to the floor mat getting stuck under the break pedal, preventing it from being fully pressed. Seems equally bad as a floor mat pressing the accelerator causing unintended acceleration.
it was Toyota

Reactions: dpaCPA

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I agree about the weather tech mats...i have them, and have had them in many cars over the Years. But what is it with Mazda and a floor mounted accelerator pedal?! I thought that went out in '64! Do their engineers not think of stuff like keeping carpets clean and inst'ling mats?
this is nothing unusual and not just Mazda. I owned a 2012 Kia Soul and it had the "floating" gas pedal, but with the next generation in 2014 they went to the floor mounted gas pedal.
When you look close at the Mazda accelerator pedal it is quite elaborate and keep in mind quite a lot of things are now controlled by the slightest touch on the pedal which might not be as easy to control with a "floating type": eg - touching it to release the EPB, touch from releasing from the Stop & Go. touch from accelerating from Auto Hold, etc.

here's the accelerator pedal from my 2016 Soul SX, but quite a difference on its operation vs my CX-30

Reactions: KeithK

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
301 Posts
Even the 2016 Camaro I used to own had a floor-mounted accelerator. I think it saves money if the car has a drive-by-wire throttle (at least based on a quick lookup of part prices).

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
376 Posts
People can be ignorant. Manufacturers have to consider that while attempting to limit their liability.
If the pedal is high enough with proper clearance chances of a mat sticking on it are nil. Every vehicle , til now, i have had since 1980 has had a floating accelerator. Over 12 vehicles. used mart with all of them...oem mats, weather tech, other after market mats. Not one caught on the pedal.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
174 Posts
I got the high wall version OEM ones for both front and rear with a discount from my dealership for around $110. Great buy and the quality is really good.
Otherwise I would recommend the weather tech.

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
44 Posts
I have bought weather tech for two other cars with zero complaint.

I got the dealer to throw in all weather mats when we bought our CX30. Love the material and the trunk space mat. Unfortunately, the four seating area mats are NOT the high wall kind. The work well. However, in the land of salty snow, there is no substitute for a high wall mat. Love the rubber material though.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. If I can get the dealer to throw in, or at least sell at cost, I'll go OEM. If not, I guess I'll go with WeatherTech. They cost more than the Mazda mats, but from what everyone is saying here it sounds like they're a bit better, so perhaps worth paying more for them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.