Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

Good idea or bad idea to get this tire size while maintaining the stock rims?

• Good

• Bad

• Mixed

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 2.5T Premium
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, fairly new to actually caring about the details of vehicle dynamics so bear with me if this is all basic stuff or if I'm way off base.

Anyways, I'm looking at getting some wider tires with a good balance of ruggedness and performance, and I think I've settled on the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's, particularly the 235/50R18's with 45mm offset, linked here. Their specs are below:

I found a site online that shows alternative setups for all car trim levels, the results for the CX-30T below:

I considered the 235/50/17's, but that would require different wheels/rims, which would pretty much double the cost and also increase the complexity of the work. On that topic, for the 235/50R18's, the idea rim would have an extra .5 inch width/depth, however based on the tire specs above, the stock R18x7's are within spec. I just wanted to make sure with someone knowledgeable that this is true, and I would want to know the risks I would run by having a wider tire and rims that are .5 inches from ideal rim width, but well within spec'd range.

The latter link allows for a tire/rim calc compared to stock that I found pretty informative, but I figured I'd see if anyone can verify whether or not I'm going down a good/bad path and maybe even if anyone has further advice on what wheel size is ideal for the new Turbo. It'd be nice of some of the big tire retailers could update their information on the car, they all show the OEM 215/55R18's as the only option.

Anyways, if anyone has any input on any of this it'd be incredibly helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
What does changing tire size do to warranty? Why not just have bought a car with wider tires to begin with vs. spending more on this car? Not computing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does changing tire size do to warranty? Why not just have bought a car with wider tires to begin with vs. spending more on this car? Not computing.
I'm still not entirely sure on the warranty part of it, talking it over with the dealership for that part of it.

Regarding why wider tires, I mean its a very common modification that gives a vehicle better grip and handling on road, with a slight sacrifice of offroad comfort. As long as all ratios seen by the drivetrain and suspension are relatively the same, why shouldn't it be a possibility? Why would anyone want to change anything on any car if they could have just bought another car to get it? I mean, the CX-30 has literally everything I would have wanted, but the tires are not very impressive compared to the overall package. I may end up getting the original tire sizing just higher quality, but no one is out there buying cars just for the wheel/tire size, those are literally made to be changed out.

Considering Mazda generally releases alternative wheel/tire sizing for every single model/make/year, I don't think my questions here were way off base. It just seems strange that those alternatives aren't listed for the CX-30T, hopefully not due to the turbo tuned suspension/drivetrain requiring those specific wheels and tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's a straight-up swap to a wider tire with the same diameter. Stock is 215/55R18, +1 is 235/50R18 and is .8" wider. When it's time for new tires, I'll put a performance 235/50 R18 tire on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a straight-up swap to a wider tire with the same diameter. Stock is 215/55R18, +1 is 235/50R18 and is .8" wider. When it's time for new tires, I'll put a performance 235/50 R18 tire on. View attachment 1608
Sounds like you're a bit more experienced in this than myself - what do you personally see yourself going for in a performance tire? I'm leaning towards the Quatrac Pro as it seems well reviewed for all conditions which as a frequent winter driver would be nice to have. But I would also love to hear personal favorite performance tires when someone actually has the knowledge of it lol. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had good luck with Bridgestone Potenzas, which is a performance tire. They have a 500 treadwear rating and are also AA rated. My CX-30 Turbo came with Bridgestone Turanzas, with a 480 treadwear rating and AA rating. Currently on sale at $150 OFF per set at Costco. Here is the description:

"The new Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS is Bridgestone’s flagship tire engineered for drivers of performance and luxury vehicles who enjoy taking a curve in any weather. Engineered for premium sports cars and sedans, it is optimized for crisp handling all year round. Backed by a 50,000 mile limited treadwear warranty*. *certain terms and conditions apply. See a Bridgestone representative or warranty manual for details"

Tire Benefits
  • SEE-THROUGH VOIDS AND OPEN SHOULDER SLOTS
  • REDESIGNED TREAD
  • NEW COMPOUND AND ASYMMETRIC TREAD DESIGN
  • LONG-LASTING PERFORMANCE
  • *Vs. the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
  • †Certain conditions and limitations apply.
Tire Features
  • 20% more see-through void and open shoulder slots to help reduce the risk of hydroplaning.*
  • engineered with new 3D full depth sipes and chamfered slots to improve wet and dry braking.*
  • featuring snow ridge walls and 3D full depth sipes offer 50% improvement in snow performance.*
  • designed to last 25% longer* and now backed by a 50,000 mile limited treadwear warranty.†

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had good luck with Bridgestone Potenzas, which is a performance tire. They have a 500 treadwear rating and are also AA rated. My CX-30 Turbo came with Bridgestone Turanzas, with a 480 treadwear rating and AA rating. Currently on sale at $150 OFF per set at Costco. Here is the description:

"The new Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS is Bridgestone’s flagship tire engineered for drivers of performance and luxury vehicles who enjoy taking a curve in any weather. Engineered for premium sports cars and sedans, it is optimized for crisp handling all year round. Backed by a 50,000 mile limited treadwear warranty*. *certain terms and conditions apply. See a Bridgestone representative or warranty manual for details"

Tire Benefits
  • SEE-THROUGH VOIDS AND OPEN SHOULDER SLOTS
  • REDESIGNED TREAD
  • NEW COMPOUND AND ASYMMETRIC TREAD DESIGN
  • LONG-LASTING PERFORMANCE
Tire Features
  • 20% more see-through void and open shoulder slots to help reduce the risk of hydroplaning.*
  • engineered with new 3D full depth sipes and chamfered slots to improve wet and dry braking.*
  • featuring snow ridge walls and 3D full depth sipes offer 50% improvement in snow performance.*
  • designed to last 25% longer* and now backed by a 50,000 mile limited treadwear warranty.†

View attachment 1612
Here I thought I was set on my tire choice, but you're certainly making me reconsider. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm still not entirely sure on the warranty part of it, talking it over with the dealership for that part of it.

Regarding why wider tires, I mean its a very common modification that gives a vehicle better grip and handling on road,
That's not true on wet/slick surfaces, is it, since the downforce of the car is spread over more area?

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a lateral load on the tire when cornering; a wider tire makes the "footprint" of the tire wider in that direction, giving it more surface to adhere to the road. Also, the change to a 50 aspect ratio from a 55 lessens relative sidewall flex, allowing more of the tire to stay in contact with the road...

·
Registered
2021 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD
95 Posts
I decided on 235/45/19 Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I purchased them from Tire Rack after reading the excellent reviews and ratings. They arrived yesterday evening. My wheels, Drag DR73 19x8 ET40 will be delivered on the 31st, so looking to have them installed on the 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided on 235/45/19 Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I purchased them from Tire Rack after reading the excellent reviews and ratings. They arrived yesterday evening. My wheels, Drag DR73 19x8 ET40 will be delivered on the 31st, so looking to have them installed on the 1st or 2nd.
Thats awesome, congrats! Let me know how the Vredestein drive as compared to the stock Bridgestones, if they have as good of dry performance I may just go through with them afterall.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats awesome, congrats! Let me know how the Vredestein drive as compared to the stock Bridgestones, if they have as good of dry performance I may just go through with them afterall.
Thanks, I definitely will!! And a buddy of mine said Vredesteins are great tires! I was gonna stick with the BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S but they don’t come in 235. And I wanted the closet tire in size and speedometer that matches the OEM tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those are lovely wheels though I would be bit concerned about their weight in a 19.
They weigh 26 lbs and the tires are 24, so 50 lbs total. The OEM tires are like 21-22 lbs and I can’t find the weight on the OEM wheels but I’m guessing they are like 24-26 so it’s not really much of a difference.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Right, you probably will not notice much of a difference from stock, but a change from stock provides the opportunity to reduce weight at each corner some 10 or even 12 lbs which could affect ride and handling , as well as acceleration and fuel economy. Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

My big concern in your case is a probable degradation in ride quality due to the shorter side walls and high unsprung weight as in my opinion, that is where is the CX 30 already falls short.

The downside of lighter wheels of good quality is higher cost and in a smaller diameter, they will not look as nice as the 19s, so I can see where you are coming from.

Anyway, the sock 215s are of undersized width, and your 235 cross section should provide a good boost in ultimate grip, maybe sharpen turn in.
Please publish pictures, love to see them on there and let us know of your impressions on the road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Right, you probably will not notice much of a difference from stock, but a change from stock provides the opportunity to reduce weight at each corner some 10 or even 12 lbs which could affect ride and handling , as well as acceleration and fuel economy. Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

My big concern in your case is a probable degradation in ride quality due to the shorter side walls and high unsprung weight as in my opinion, that is where is the CX 30 already falls short.

The downside of lighter wheels of good quality is higher cost and in a smaller diameter, they will not look as nice as the 19s, so I can see where you are coming from.

Anyway, the sock 215s are of undersized width, and your 235 cross section should provide a good boost in ultimate grip, maybe sharpen turn in.
Please publish pictures, love to see them on there and let us know of your impressions on the road.
Yes I debated staying with 18s but I made the decision to go up. Yes I will definitely post pics once installed which should be Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those are real sweat wheels there, waiting to see those pics.
Thank you! I fell in love with them immediately. They are on the way to me. Delivery is scheduled for Wednesday and I will have them installed Thursday or Friday!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts