Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

Good idea or bad idea to get this tire size while maintaining the stock rims?

• Good

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mixed

Votes: 1 10.0%
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
559 Posts
There is no single answer of course. Jalopnik is one respected source and they say basically flip a coin.

Tire review is new to me as of today but this is their 21st year so I'm sure they are reliable.

I don't believe there is an answer. I believe every individual has their own answer and for them that is the answer but not for everyone else.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT Polymetal Gray
86 Posts
There is no single answer of course. Jalopnik is one respected source and they say basically flip a coin.

Tire review is new to me as of today but this is their 21st year so I'm sure they are reliable.

I don't believe there is an answer. I believe every individual has their own answer and for them that is the answer but not for everyone else.
honestly it depends on your winter conditions. If you live in an area where the temperature drops to below -10C but relatively dry any snow tire will do. If you do any driving in deep snow or hilly terrain you really want to have a narrower tire and consider studs.

in Montréal we are known for brutal winters that includes lots of snow , occasionally extreme cold (-35C) and freezing rain. Lots of elevation changes on the streets, too. I would never consider a wider snow tires on a lighter vehicle.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
289 Posts
Years ago, before all season's became common, most people ran the same size snows as they did regular. Wide tires were mostly found on sports cars that stayed in the garage for winter. Now 'normal' vehicles are running bigger wheels with wider, low profile tires. So, if you go wide for summer sport, smaller wheels and more narrow footprint for snow can be a huge benefit. I think the stock 18" wheel and all season tire is a good compromise in my region.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
289 Posts
Getting any tire, no matter how good and running on a rim outside of designed range is not advisable. It distorts the tire too much and will not handle as it should..

·
Registered
Mazda cx30 gt turbo 2021
128 Posts
I've had good luck with Bridgestone Potenzas, which is a performance tire. They have a 500 treadwear rating and are also AA rated. My CX-30 Turbo came with Bridgestone Turanzas, with a 480 treadwear rating and AA rating. Currently on sale at $150 OFF per set at Costco. Here is the description:

"The new Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS is Bridgestone’s flagship tire engineered for drivers of performance and luxury vehicles who enjoy taking a curve in any weather. Engineered for premium sports cars and sedans, it is optimized for crisp handling all year round. Backed by a 50,000 mile limited treadwear warranty*. *certain terms and conditions apply. See a Bridgestone representative or warranty manual for details"

Tire Benefits
  • SEE-THROUGH VOIDS AND OPEN SHOULDER SLOTS
  • REDESIGNED TREAD
  • NEW COMPOUND AND ASYMMETRIC TREAD DESIGN
  • LONG-LASTING PERFORMANCE
  • *Vs. the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
  • †Certain conditions and limitations apply.
Tire Features
  • 20% more see-through void and open shoulder slots to help reduce the risk of hydroplaning.*
  • engineered with new 3D full depth sipes and chamfered slots to improve wet and dry braking.*
  • featuring snow ridge walls and 3D full depth sipes offer 50% improvement in snow performance.*
  • designed to last 25% longer* and now backed by a 50,000 mile limited treadwear warranty.†
  • *Vs. the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
  • †Certain conditions and limitations apply.

View attachment 1612
can this tire be compatible with the original wheels?

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 2.5T Premium
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
can this tire be compatible with the original wheels?
I've been running the 235/50 Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4's for over a year now with around 20k miles on the vehicle, 17k on the tires. This is all on the stock rims, as the offset is well within rated margin.

I have noticed no issues at all really - more stability at all speed and RPM ranges, much more control off the line, and to be frank, there isn't a speed under 100mph where I don't feel absolute control - 90mph on the freeway feels far more stable and easy than 60mph on a winding country road did with the Turanza's. The grip is just lightyears beyond; I worry far more about rolling than tire slip. Sometimes I can throw it around a tight turn, but I do miss that about the stock tires I will say.

Let me know if you have any questions or want any picture of the wear so far. I drive it hard nearly all the time, so keep that in mind lol.

·
Registered
Mazda cx30 gt turbo 2021
128 Posts
I've been running the 235/50 Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4's for over a year now with around 20k miles on the vehicle, 17k on the tires. This is all on the stock rims, as the offset is well within rated margin.

I have noticed no issues at all really - more stability at all speed and RPM ranges, much more control off the line, and to be frank, there isn't a speed under 100mph where I don't feel absolute control - 90mph on the freeway feels far more stable and easy than 60mph on a winding country road did with the Turanza's. The grip is just lightyears beyond; I worry far more about rolling than tire slip. Sometimes I can throw it around a tight turn, but I do miss that about the stock tires I will say.

Let me know if you have any questions or want any picture of the wear so far. I drive it hard nearly all the time, so keep that in mind lol.
thank you very much for all this information I generally drive like you and I also believe that this tire is worth the investment. are they noisy. yes if you want I would like to see a photo. thanks again much appreciated

·
Registered
31 Posts

I'm thinking about going with the 235/50 tire size on the stock wheels.
Do you have ANY rubbing issues?
Any clearance issues in the rear with the struts?
Any info or pics are greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Mazda cx30 gt turbo 2021
128 Posts
You and I think alike on a lot of choices.
How the exhaust working for you?
I love when I put it in Sport mode and just stay on it as it shifts through the gears!
Oh yes I love the sound and keep the gears rev. Down shift too. I don't like the oil consumption that started this weekend. I had to add half a liter to the turbo engine. tomorrow I will go to the mazda dealer to make a report in my file. And also advise mazda canada. Mazda assumed work on this TBS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh yes I love the sound and keep the gears rev. Down shift too. I don't like the oil consumption that started this weekend. I had to add half a liter to the turbo engine. tomorrow I will go to the mazda dealer to make a report in my file. And also advise mazda canada. Mazda assumed work on this TBS.
Hope it's all good.
Keep us posted on the oil issue.
Godspeed!

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
55 Posts
I too am in the camp of wanting to run 235/50/18's on stock turbo 7" rims. I'm looking for a little more aggressive look so I am leaning towards the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires mainly because they are the most aggressive looking I could find that comes in this size. Anyone running these?
Also I hear the nay sayers indicating you should not run a tire that wide on 7" rims.... I think I will go by the tire manufacturer's recommendation that states the 235mm tire is rated for 6.5 to 8.5 rims.....So I'm good.

My only question is when to pull the trigger considering I only have ~300 miles on this 3 week old puppy so far.

Key1

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal CX-30 AWD 2.5L Turbo Premium+
79 Posts
I too am in the camp of wanting to run 235/50/18's on stock turbo 7" rims. I'm looking for a little more aggressive look so I am leaning towards the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires mainly because they are the most aggressive looking I could find that comes in this size. Anyone running these?
Also I hear the nay sayers indicating you should not run a tire that wide on 7" rims.... I think I will go by the tire manufacturer's recommendation that states the 235mm tire is rated for 6.5 to 8.5 rims.....So I'm good.

My only question is when to pull the trigger considering I only have ~300 miles on this 3 week old puppy so far.

Key1
Considering swapping out tires soon after new purchase of vehicle? I did it with my CX-30 last year! And I've done it a number of times in the past like when my new car came with summer high performance tires. I live in the often rainy and sometimes snowy Pacific Northwest so I've always preferred high performance all-weather tires. If you're lucky, your local tire store (I always go to Discount Tire in my area) will give you a trade-in value for the new take-offs. However, with my new CX-30, the OEM Bridgestones were, according to my Discount Tire guy, possibly the worst tire Bridgestone makes. He refused to give me a trade-in allowance like before! Ouch! But I went ahead anyway and upgraded to a 235/50 ZR 18 high performance all-weather Continental tire. After over a year, I am quite pleased. The tire tracks very well on the freeway, is excellent in the rain and adequate, but I wouldn't say superior in light to medium snow, just adequate. Good thing we only get snow of any consequence a couple times a year in the Seattle area. If I lived in an area with more severe winters, I would opted for the Nokian WR G4 all-weather tire. I have noted not detrimental clearance, performance or handling issues with the 20mm wider than OEM tires on 7 inch rims. I don't drive much so it's too early to assess if there are any wear anomalies with the wider tire.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
55 Posts
Considering swapping out tires soon after new purchase of vehicle? I did it with my CX-30 last year! And I've done it a number of times in the past like when my new car came with summer high performance tires. I live in the often rainy and sometimes snowy Pacific Northwest so I've always preferred high performance all-weather tires. If you're lucky, your local tire store (I always go to Discount Tire in my area) will give you a trade-in value for the new take-offs. However, with my new CX-30, the OEM Bridgestones were, according to my Discount Tire guy, possibly the worst tire Bridgestone makes. He refused to give me a trade-in allowance like before! Ouch! But I went ahead anyway and upgraded to a 235/50 ZR 18 high performance all-weather Continental tire. After over a year, I am quite pleased. The tire tracks very well on the freeway, is excellent in the rain and adequate, but I wouldn't say superior in light to medium snow, just adequate. Good thing we only get snow of any consequence a couple times a year in the Seattle area. If I lived in an area with more severe winters, I would opted for the Nokian WR G4 all-weather tire. I have noted not detrimental clearance, performance or handling issues with the 20mm wider than OEM tires on 7 inch rims. I don't drive much so it's too early to assess if there are any wear anomalies with the wider tire.
Thanks for that insight....I was under the car yesterday eye-balling the current rear tire sidewall proximity to the rear shock cover and it looks pretty close...maybe 1/2" tops. I understand the 235mm tire will only move inward 10mm but 1/2 inch is only 12.7 mm so that will give me only 2 or 3 mm wiggle room. On the other hand i was able to easily move that flexible shock cover another 1/2 inch or more out of the way.so I think I'm good.

By the way, I know you were considering a ECU tuning upgrade, did you ever do it?

Key1

61 - 80 of 89 Posts