Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

Good idea or bad idea to get this tire size while maintaining the stock rims?

• Good

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mixed

Votes: 1 10.0%
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal CX-30 AWD 2.5L Turbo Premium+
79 Posts
Thanks for that insight....I was under the car yesterday eye-balling the current rear tire sidewall proximity to the rear shock cover and it looks pretty close...maybe 1/2" tops. I understand the 235mm tire will only move inward 10mm but 1/2 inch is only 12.7 mm so that will give me only 2 or 3 mm wiggle room. On the other hand i was able to easily move that flexible shock cover another 1/2 inch or more out of the way.so I think I'm good.

By the way, I know you were considering a ECU tuning upgrade, did you ever do it?

Key1
1) I've never really looked under there but the Discount Tire store guy told me the tire clearance was OK.
2) No longer pursuing an ECU upgrade, I've decided a 2.5 turbo with 250 HP is good enough.
3) The only thing I may do is Bilstein Gas shocks except the company hasn't produced them for my model yet!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, this afternoon I looked at the rear tire clearance versus the rear shock with my 235/50 Continental tires. It's not rubbing on the plastic shock cover. I can't get a caliper in there to measure but I can put my index finger there in the gap. The gap appears to be at least a centimeter (10 mm), not 2-3 mm. Mounting chains would be an issue, I'm sure not possible but I never intended to do that.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
55 Posts
Well, this afternoon I looked at the rear tire clearance versus the rear shock with my 235/50 Continental tires. It's not rubbing on the plastic shock cover. I can't get a caliper in there to measure but I can put my index finger there in the gap. The gap appears to be at least a centimeter (10 mm), not 2-3 mm. Mounting chains would be an issue, I'm sure not possible but I never intended to do that.
That's good news since my Falken WildPeaks has "raised" lettering........ We will find out soon enough as I ordered the 235/50's and they are scheduled to arrive the middle of next week.
Key1

·
Registered
79 Posts
About tire configurations > Brand to brand, tire sizings & shapwpe can vary slightly. Some have a square/flat shouldered tread, some are more rounded like my Continentals. My Contis also have indented lettering on the sidewall while other brands have raised lettering.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well....my 235/50/18 Falken WildPeak tires have been installed on my stock 18x7" rims and......the look exceeds my expectations. I love them :love: . I took some pictures but the pics simply cannot do them justice. They actually look more aggressive than I thought they would. And to be honest I feel no difference in the drive for my around town driving so far. For me they easily pull attention away from the large wheel wells as the tires themselves are a focus point.
Thanks to all who took the plunge 1st on the wider 235/50/18's which gave me confidence to pull the trigger as well.

Here are some pics:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Key1

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow
Well....my 235/50/18 Falken WildPeak tires have been installed on my stock 18x7" rims and......the look exceeds my expectations. I love them :love: . I took some pictures but the pics simply cannot do them justice. They actually look more aggressive than I thought they would. And to be honest I feel no difference in the drive for my around town driving so far. For me they easily pull attention away from the large wheel wells as the tires themselves are a focus point.
Thanks to all who took the plunge 1st on the wider 235/50/18's which gave me confidence to pull the trigger as well.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 4566

View attachment 4567

View attachment 4568

View attachment 4569

Key1
WOW - You went pretty aggressive with the tread on those new tires!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are the tires noisy? Do you reside in a region where it snows a lot in the winter? My Continental Control ContAct Sport high performance all-season tires are not primo in snow but that's not what I need in the Seattle area. They ride smooth & quiet and are excellent in rain!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not noisy at all and very smooth....to be honest I can't tell a difference versus the stock tires but the stock tires have low ratings from 2 to 7 in varying categories on Tirerack.com and if I recall correctly were rated very low at 52 out of 55 for tires in it's class.... but my new tires were ranked number 1 in it's class with ratings of 8.5 to over 9 for noise, smoothness, ride, snow traction, rain traction, dry pavement traction, etc.... I wanted to upgrade to a wider tire and I wanted an aggressive off-road more rugged look and this tire gave me that and more with the high ratings for everything else.
I'm in Princeton New Jersey and some Winters we get blizzards and lots of snow and others we get very little. .. but we do get tons of rain at certain times of the year lots of very heavy thunderstorms.
Key1

81 - 89 of 89 Posts