Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX30 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an alternative to the Mazda branded crossbars for the CX30. The Mazda branded crossbars for the CX30 are not as nice as nice as the Mazda branded ones for the CX5. Specifically they sit too high and worse the fit and finish where they attached to the rails is gapped and subject to more wind noise. I am looking for a lower profile design that bolts directly to the inside of the side rails. If bolted it doesn't need to have a lock. (See pic example from my CX5 crossbars.) Thxs!
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium 2.5
37 Posts
I also had a terrible time with this. I ordered the OEM ones after being frustrated that Thule doesn't make a fit for the CX-30 with the factory side rails. The oem one was way too chunky and too tall, just returned it. I tried another amazon one that said it would fit and it was total garbage and did not fit.

I just found that yakima does have a fit for the rails with their Ridgeline towers, so I ordered a full setup for it. Here's the fit page: Yakima Infolookup

Not sure if I'll like it as much as I like Thule stuff, but hopefully it actually is secure and looks decent. I do wish there was an option like the crossbars for the CX-5 that I've seen around.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX30 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also ordered the Yakima rack. Expensive but hopefully it will fit and look better than the OEM crossbars. BTW, I also tried another pair of aftermarket bars and sent them back immediately. The quality was bad and weren't secure.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
2 Posts
I also had a terrible time with this. I ordered the OEM ones after being frustrated that Thule doesn't make a fit for the CX-30 with the factory side rails. The oem one was way too chunky and too tall, just returned it. I tried another amazon one that said it would fit and it was total garbage and did not fit.

I just found that yakima does have a fit for the rails with their Ridgeline towers, so I ordered a full setup for it. Here's the fit page: Yakima Infolookup

Not sure if I'll like it as much as I like Thule stuff, but hopefully it actually is secure and looks decent. I do wish there was an option like the crossbars for the CX-5 that I've seen around.
I just ordered the OEM crossbars and the THULE Force M cargo box (through Mazda, genuine accessories). Is this the combination of accessories you ordered that did not work due to the lift gate hitting the back of the cargo box?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium 2.5
37 Posts
I just ordered the OEM crossbars and the THULE Force M cargo box (through Mazda, genuine accessories). Is this the combination of accessories you ordered that did not work due to the lift gate hitting the back of the cargo box?
I tried my thule box (similar size to the Force M, but I'm not sure if the foot positioning is the same), and it didn't clear the lift gate. It may depend a lot on how adjustable the feet of the box are and how far it can slide forward. Hopefully it will work for you!

I will probably slide the Yakima feet of the crossbars a couple more inches forward if I want to use the box - it clears right now but only by the thickness of a piece of paper, haha. The issue with the oem crossbars is that you can't put them any further forward since the width of the rails changes front to back.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium (Polymetal)
17 Posts
@ccutlerwood hey, how did the OEM cross bars and Thule Force M box work out for you? Hoping to make the same purchase tomorrow. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Total newbie here (1st post!)

My girlfriend just bought a 2022 CX-30 Premium (with roof side rails pre-installed). I'm trying to figure out a crossbar and roof rack solution for carrying bikes. She definitely does not want a hitch mounted rack hanging off the back of the car. Most of the time we will carry bikes inside the cargo area, which we have done for years in a 2010 Mazda 3. Got a lot of practice arranging bikes just right to fit in. (My current car is a Subaru Outback that has a roof rack which I leave setup for kayaks.)

The roof rack on the CX-30 will only be installed for occasions where we can't fit the bikes inside with everything else we're carrying, such as when going away for a weekend camping trip with the bikes. I already have some fork-mount bike rails that we can use.

Because I'll remove the entire rack from the car when we're not actually using it, I don't mind the fugliness of the OEM crossbar setup. However, based on the installation manual for the OEM crossbars, the position of the front crossbar is sufficiently far back that the back of the bike rails would not clear the tailgate when it's fully raised, and the front crossbar apparently cannot move further forward than the designated position because of the curvature of the side rails.

That leaves me with a few options that I can think of:

1. Get the OEM crossbars and install the fork-mount rails backwards (front of bike at rear of car). I expect the main downside of this approach (besides the somewhat dorky look) would be excessive wind noise, as a large portion of the bikes will be forward of the front crossbar.

2. Get the OEM crossbars and get new upright bike carriers. That type of carrier usually allows adjusting the front-to-back position of carrier to be centered over the crossbars. Won't look as dorky as backward mounting fork-mounts, but the bikes will sit up even higher and may result in even more wind noise.

3. Get the Yakima setup as noted by @degal2642, which appears to enable the front crossbar to be mounted further forward than the OEM crossbar, and it might be far enough forward that the back end of the fork-mount bike rails can clear the car's raised tailgate.

So I have a few questions:

- Has anybody used the OEM crossbars with backward mounted fork-mount bike rails or with upright bike rails? If so, how's the wind noise with bikes on it (with moonroof closed and/or open)?

- Is it possible to mount the OEM rear crossbar further rearward, such that backward mounted fork-mount bike rails won't protrude as far forward?

- With the Yakima setup, can the front crossbar be mounted any further forward than the position shown in the instructions (the M2 dimension of 14" in the Yakima diagram)?

- And with the Yakima setup, it looks like the RidgeLine towers and clips don't actually clamp onto the side rails, but instead rest against the rails and rely on additional pieces to clamp to the top of the door frame area. Is that correct? (IMO, that kinda defeats the purpose of having the side rails. Without even having the side rails you could install a similar rack setup by using different Yakima tower feet/clips).

- Anybody out there come up with a better roof rack option to carry bikes on a CX-30?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for an alternative to the Mazda branded crossbars for the CX30. The Mazda branded crossbars for the CX30 are not as nice as nice as the Mazda branded ones for the CX5. Specifically they sit too high and worse the fit and finish where they attached to the rails is gapped and subject to more wind noise. I am looking for a lower profile design that bolts directly to the inside of the side rails. If bolted it doesn't need to have a lock. (See pic example from my CX5 crossbars.) Thxs! View attachment 1663
The 2022 OEM crossbars for the Mazda CX30 are made by Thule. I was ready to order them until I read this original post. I need the bars for a Cargo box but I don't need the noise too. I searched high and low and the only one made is by Yakima which is pinch mounted to the rail. Thule does not make one according to REI and a local shope that specializes in roof mounted systems; that is all they sell. Very well informed and they only sell Yakima and Thule. They are in Ashland Oregon pac-rack.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts