Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred
14 Posts
I'm not assuming here and by "shut off permanently" I thing you mean "in the off position permanently" like most other vehicles unless you choose to engage it. Because to pull a fuse or disconnect a sensor or brake motor could be dangerous. The car would no longer have the ability to stop if there were another vehicle, child or deer on a road or in a parking lot that you don't see moving. I could see the point of safety for Mazda to do this but I don't like it. Now they're changing a thing that no one has ever had to do and we do not like change. I could see doing this so that people buckle up before they drive off. Some motorists drive away while putting that seatbelt on which is not safe.
I'm hoping the dealers get software to allow owners to be able to set it to not engaging itself each time automatically. It adds an extra thing to do. As a general practice I always put the belt on, then place it in drive, take a look around, then drive away. If I forget that brake on and the pavement is dry I could risk braking some component on my new vehicle that warranty may not cover. This is the first vehicle I've ever had that it turns on each time I leave the car and having to disengage it I must now think more. Like most folks I want to think less not more...that's the whole point of technology. I do get the safety aspect of it but I live on a flat street on PEI where the whole island is mostly flat. Just this morning...I had my seatbelt bucked, placed it in drive, pressed the gas pedal and it didn't disengage. The back end just squats down each time. I hope that this is updated via a software bulletin through the dealer. It would be a shame that drivers start breaking components on their Cx-30 because they forget the park brake sets automatically and don't see that little amber light is still on.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this "feature" annoying.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
269 Posts
I hate the APB. It should be user selectable. Want it, set it. Don't want it, turn it off. I live in flat Houston. I don't need the PB here, especially with an automatic.

I always drive away while putting on my seatbelt. Zero danger in my driveway. Gets the A/C running that much quicker and in mid-upper 90's and 6x% humidity every second counts.

My dealer also said it can't be turned off but the manual outlines a process to do so. Wouldn't work for me so I'll take it to my local shop and see if they can do it. Definitely one in the F column.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hate the APB. It should be user selectable. Want it, set it. Don't want it, turn it off. I live in flat Houston. I don't need the PB here, especially with an automatic.

I always drive away while putting on my seatbelt. Zero danger in my driveway. Gets the A/C running that much quicker and in mid-upper 90's and 6x% humidity every second counts.

My dealer also said it can't be turned off but the manual outlines a process to do so. Wouldn't work for me so I'll take it to my local shop and see if they can do it. Definitely one in the F column.
Too many safety nanny features these days.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
944 Posts
Initially I wasn't too impressed with EPB (just had the standard hand-pull brake on my previous vehicle) as it was quite a change for me and took some time to get use to it, but after some time and now used to it, I think it's a great feature, one less process to do any time you turn your car off.

I'm puzzled as to some comments that say they don't need it in many situations, I agree you don't (my previous vehicle had a 6-speed auto and very rarely used the hand brake, but did use it at times to make sure it was functioning and keep it operational), but as it does it automatically without you having to do anything, what difference does it make whether you want it on or not, it's not going to change any function of the car at that point.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
The difference is it has to be manually released every time. I am in Houston where it is upper 90's and high humidity. Start the car is job 1. Seatbelt buckling is when I get to it between home and the corner. I shouldn't be forced to have the nanny state sitting on my shoulder or in my car. It's a major mark against a chance at a perfect score.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT - Skyactive G - 2.5 L AWD
324 Posts
You can manually release it but you don't have to....as soon as you apply gas it releases automatically...

·
Registered
944 Posts
The difference is it has to be manually released every time. I am in Houston where it is upper 90's and high humidity. Start the car is job 1. Seatbelt buckling is when I get to it between home and the corner. I shouldn't be forced to have the nanny state sitting on my shoulder or in my car. It's a major mark against a chance at a perfect score.
if you fasten your seat-belt as soon as you get in the car then problem solved. It should be on before you pull out of your driveway for your own safety.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You can manually release it but you don't have to....as soon as you apply gas it releases automatically...
not if you don't have you seat belt fastened.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Yeah, I'd rather have the A/C on 3 seconds sooner and no stupid automatic parking brake to fool with. Now, if Mazda wants to reprogram it so that if the engine has been started, the car put into gear and the gas pedal depressed no matter what else has been done or not done in any particular order that's fine. But to require certain things in certain order, nope, too intrusive and too narrow minded.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30
13 Posts
Yeah, I'd rather have the A/C on 3 seconds sooner and no stupid automatic parking brake to fool with. Now, if Mazda wants to reprogram it so that if the engine has been started, the car put into gear and the gas pedal depressed no matter what else has been done or not done in any particular order that's fine. But to require certain things in certain order, nope, too intrusive and too narrow minded.
I you ever find out let me know. I hate it too.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30
13 Posts
It is not "held off with electric". It engages / Disengages electronically .

So start the car and disengage the parking brake. Then remove the fuse... I would NOT recommend this for safety reasons. If your brakes were to fail all you can depend on is the e brake. For people who are unaware ... To use the emergency brake while in motion. You must hold up the switch and keep holding it until the vehicle stops.
Not aware of how you could possibly use this auto parking brake in an emergency. You really have very little control over it. It is a major design flaw ..even my dealer hates it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I am almost ready to trade my 2020 then. I really hate it. What about others driving your car like parking attendants? This is a really flawed idea.
so you think Mazda is the only vehicle out there that has the EPB?

So parking attendants don't learn all the new features coming in vehicles? You can release it by pushing a button, much easier than releasing a hand brake, or pulling a leaver to release a foot brake - what a lot of fuss about such a simple thing.

I've never had in a vehicle before but I think it's a great feature and good idea! 👍

Reactions: dctokyo

·
Premium Member
269 Posts

So parking attendants don't learn all the new features coming in vehicles? You can release it by pushing a button, much easier than releasing a hand brake, or pulling a leaver to release a foot brake - what a lot of fuss about such a simple thing.

I've never had in a vehicle before but I think it's a great feature and good idea! 👍
The EPB is a great feature. What is a LOUSY idea is not allowing it to be turned off if desired or as an alternative make it turn itself off the moment the engine is started just like now it turns on the moment the engine is turned off. That's the problem people have, being forced to accept it regardless of their personal choice.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 2.5 S Premium AWD
17 Posts
I guess I've had it long enough that it's just second nature to push the EPB button right before I put it in gear. I even manually engage the EPB right after I put it in park and before I let off the brake. That way it engages before the weight of the car is put on the transmission. Using a parking brake like this has been a habit of mine for many years on many vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30
13 Posts

Mazda is the only one I know that takes the decision to use it away from you. Its not a big deal unless you enjoy the thought of people driving your car around with the emergency brake on. And I never use a parking brake unless on a hill its just stupid. I still have trouble remembering to disengage it after a year and I end up driving in reverse with it on. So yes I paid for stress I don't need.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts