Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
944 Posts
Parking attendants don't always wear seat belts. I can't let anyone else drive my car without a tutorial. Really frustrating.
so, even if you are not familiar with it, there's a light on the switch to tell you it's engaged, besides the car won't move and on top of that the instrumentation tells you it's engaged, how many more reminders do you need?
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Gauge Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Turbo Premiun, Soul Red
79 Posts
Agree it is a pain and I wish it was not automatically applied.

But I have gotten into the routine of releasing it.

And the car is way too good to let it hinder my enjoyment.

My MX5 does not have it. It still has the old fashion manual e-brake, which I am more than glad about.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Reactions: zico21

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
The problem is it only auto-releases if you do certain things in certain order. It is poorly designed and engineered and earns an F on its report card. If they had done it correctly it would release the instant the car is put in gear regardless of any other factors. Then it would just be the annoyance of being forced to have it applied when one doesn't want it applied, not the added insult of not being able to drive without performing a specific ritual first. F Mazda. F. No D- just absolute Fail.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 2.5 S Premium AWD
17 Posts
So am I the only one that was taught to always apply the parking brake so the auto transmission is not strained by holding the weight of the car? Maybe that's an old wife's tale or it doesn't apply to today's cars? Still, easier to disengage with a quick push of the button as I'm about to shift out of park than it was in older cars with the foot or hand parking brake.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
180 Posts
So am I the only one that was taught to always apply the parking brake so the auto transmission is not strained by holding the weight of the car? Maybe that's an old wife's tale or it doesn't apply to today's cars? Still, easier to disengage with a quick push of the button as I'm about to shift out of park than it was in older cars with the foot or hand parking brake.
It's not an old wive's tale - go ahead an Google countless articles on why you should always engage the parking brake on automatic transmission vehicles. The parking pawl is not designed to hold any significant load. Regardless of whether you're parking on level ground or a hill, using the parking brake is best practice.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
If I were parking on an incline I'd agree. When parked on the flat where in neutral the car wouldn't roll without a good push it is totally unnecessary and should be at the owner's choice, not Mazda's.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I guess I have to drive it with the brake on more and see. In reverse I know the car squats down seriously so I am not convinced.
If you put your seat belt on and put it in drive or reverse it will auto release as soon as you touch the gas pedal - it's not rocket science!

Please fill out your profile with your location and details of what you are driving so we can see that info makes it so much easier for everyone.

Reactions: Polymetal Gray

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30
13 Posts
Agree it is a pain and I wish it was not automatically applied.

But I have gotten into the routine of releasing it.

And the car is way too good to let it hinder my enjoyment.

My MX5 does not have it. It still has the old fashion manual e-brake, which I am more than glad about.
My problem is that my car may need to be moved at work with most likely someone not wearing a seat belt. I had to create a laminated card explaining how to disengage it and leave it hanging on my dash. I didn't expect to have this hassle.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 2.5 S Premium AWD
17 Posts
I have to laugh that an automatic parking brake is causing such an issue and will result in some never buying a Mazda again. I understand that some don't want this forced on them, but is it really that much of a hassle to do a quick push of a button to disengage it? I just don't get it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
"With the vehicle stationary, the electronic parking brake is automatically applied when the engine is turned off with the ignition switch "

quote from the 2021 Nissan Qashqai (Rogue Sport in the US) owners manual

• Haha
Reactions: theisen_4

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm old school, I don't understand why it has to be electric. Give me a handle to pull up and push down. It makes spirited driving more fun too!

·
Registered
CX-30 SkyActive-X
4 Posts
I found this in manual:

Cancelling the parking brake automatic operation
The parking brake automatic operation can be cancelled by doing any of the following after switching the ignition from ON to OFF.
Auto operation cancel method 1
  1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. Turn off the AUTOHOLD.
  3. Press the EPB switch continuously for 2 seconds or longer (until a sound is activated).
  4. Release the EPB switch and switch the ignition OFF within 5 seconds after the sound was activated.
    After the auto operation is cancelled, a sound is activated one time, and the EPB switch indicator light switches from illumination to flashing, and then turns off after 3 seconds.
Auto operation cancel method 2
  1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. Turn off the AUTOHOLD.
  3. Switch the ignition OFF with the EPB switch pressed.
    When the auto operation is cancelled, a sound is activated one time, and the EPB switch indicator light from normal flashing to faster flashing, and then turns off after 3 seconds.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Yeah, that's in the manual but #1 doesn't work. Haven't tried #2 yet but doubt it's any better.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
138 Posts
It is really ridiculous what people complain about in this world. I have never once has a problem with the parking brake its stupid simple. Get in buckle up put it in gear and drive off.... How much simpler of an operation could it be??? People talking about trading in a perfectly good vehicle that is the best in its class over stupid BS. Find some real problems please!!!

And to use the brake in an emergency you simply keep holding the lever in the up position and it will stop the car.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts