Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT AWD Snowflake White
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...I have read an article in the CAA summer edition 2021 called Shop Talk.
A Kia Soul owner being told the car needs to be driven more to charge the battery etc.
The person is asking Shop Talk Mechanic if that was true.

Reply from Shop Top Mechanic says yes it is true and in town short drive is not good enough.
He highly recommends the use of an automatic battery tender to ensure battery is fully charged.

My question to our members is what do you think of this recommendation?
Would this be a solution for parking the car for extended periods of time? Might help for winter.
What about the alternator and all that goes with the battery...I would presume being automatic that it designed specifically to shut off and on..

I would have to think that if I was to put one on.. I should talk to the dealership and have them install one... don't want warranty issues. Do you recommend that is the way to go get the dealer to do it.
What are your thoughts about a Battery Tender?

You see the reason...is... I am finding myself taking the vehicle out on the highway for no reason at all.. because of this issue...and that is not my style and if I don't wish to take the car out at all that should be my choice. Bugs me a lot I can tell you that much.
Do love the vehicle mind you.. at least so far. Still discovering...;)
Susan From Niagara

·
Registered
2021 Turbo
47 Posts
My wife's brand new CX 30 has twice warned of a low battery condition in the past two weeks, with both instances occuring during the install of dash cams, and Tuxmat floor mats, where car doors were opened for slightly protracted periods of time. The car fired up fine after each warning.

So, is the software being overly cautious in it's assessment of the battery condition, or is the battery capacity inherently weak? I think it's a little of both.

The battery in my wife's CX 3 failed during it's third winter, so we bought (and used) a portable battery booster to get us through to the battery replacement appt. We now keep this charged and ready to go in the back of the CX 30 in case it's needed, with my wife being very confident (through practise) in its use.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife's brand new CX 30 has twice warned of a low battery condition in the past two weeks, with both instances occuring during the install of dash cams, and Tuxmat floor mats, where car doors were opened for slightly protracted periods of time. The car fired up fine after each warning.

So, is the software being overly cautious in it's assessment of the battery condition, or is the battery capacity inherently weak? I think it's a little of both.

The battery in my wife's CX 3 failed during it's third winter, so we bought (and used) a portable battery booster to get us through to the battery replacement appt. We now keep this charged and ready to go in the back of the CX 30 in case it's needed, with my wife being very confident (through practise) in its use.
Thanks for your reply...however for me it is impossible due to issues to be able to deal with the hood.
That's why I thought perhaps with a Battery Tender... this would eliminate the worry of a dead battery potential. Never owned a vehicle with this kind of nonsense.
So far so good with the battery however it is not a good feeling to have this hanging over your head.
Thanks again...Susan

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
Thanks for your reply...however for me it is impossible due to issues to be able to deal with the hood.
what's the issue with the hood?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
There are pigtails that can be connected to the battery terminals with a connector that can be routed to the grill and zip tied in place. That way the hood doesn't need to be opened to charge.
To connect/keep charged, plug the lead from the tender into the pig tail. Don't forget to unplug before driving away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are pigtails that can be connected to the battery terminals with a connector that can be routed to the grill and zip tied in place. That way the hood doesn't need to be opened to charge.
To connect/keep charged, plug the lead from the tender into the pig tail. Don't forget to unplug before driving away.
Thank you for your reply and information it is very much appreciated.
This is such a good site and glad I joined.
Susan

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
The issue for me is not the hood but me with tear in my shoulders.etc..and I am widowed..so no one here to lift the hood.
Susan
I was going to suggest getting the hood struts installed, but with the shoulder problem that might not help. My wife couldn't lift the hood but now I got the struts she can. The pigtail set up suggests sounds like the better way to go if needed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to suggest getting the hood struts installed, but with the shoulder problem that might not help. My wife couldn't lift the hood but now I got the struts she can. The pigtail set up suggests sounds like the better way to go if needed.
Hi Conwel I saw those struts your talking about on this site I'm sure they are a big help.
The latter for me would be the way to go.
By the way these struts where do you get them and are they easy to get installed...I would have to think there would be drilling involved ?
By the way I enjoy such good pics and info from you thank you very much.
Susan

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD 2021 CX-30 GS FWD
100 Posts
I have "battery maintainers" on all my cars. I use C-Tek devices, which come with "pig-tails" as described post#7. Not ony does it reduce the probability of flat batteries but it will also extend the life of your battery, especially when you do not use the regularly for example in winter. There are no warranty issues. It is also an easy install (no more than 0.5hrs).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have "battery maintainers" on all my cars. I use C-Tek devices, which come with "pig-tails" as described post#7. Not ony does it reduce the probability of flat batteries but it will also extend the life of your battery. There are no warranty issues. It is also an easy install (no more than 0.5hrs).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for replying...the more I hear the more I might look into this. Battery Maintainer and Battery Tender sounds like one and the same just different terminology.. would that be correct?
So this would need to be disconnected when starting vehicle...is that correct also?
Susan

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD 2021 CX-30 GS FWD
100 Posts
Yes you are correct on the terminology. You connect the device when you park your car and disconnect before starting the car. This is easy for us because we have a large garage and always park our cars inside. This also helps with battery life and life of our vehicles generally.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo premium
9 Posts
Two things I see here, one that flummoxed me, an experienced mechanic, upon taking delivery of our Turbo Premium at the end of May. Trying to set the opening height of the rear power hatch to our low ceiling garage, I was opening and closing this a lot, causing the disturbing "low battery risk" warning thingy. Without even thinking or testing, I put on a battery charger. Then littler things would trip the message. Battery always measure "fine". I finally realized that the key word was "Risk". I have come to believe it should say more like " if you constantly keep doing what you're doing, sooner or later, your battery may be low." (Duhh) The next five times I actually measured (must be 12 hours or so later after "resting" to be accurate), everything was just fine--no need to "start the engine for 5 minutes".

Very different subject--auto batteries loose about 2% of their charge per day if not started and run, and the run must be enough to replace what you used to start the car, AND the portion of discharge that non-use has caused. This is not related to substandard battery size or quality, its a fact of life (physics). Leave it after running somewhere 15 minutes or so, then letting it sit for a week, I wouldn't expect a problem. A month...well.... Just don't let the stupid message the lawyers insisted was needed rule your experience.

A "trickle charger", what people above are talking about (Battery Tender is a popular, widely available brand) would be VERY smart if your driving times are very far apart, or, usually, merely that 1/2 mile .drive to town, where you probably don't even replace what you used to start . When a battery does sit too long, sulfate crystals fall out of the battery acid solution, and collect on the plates and screens that fill the battery, lessening their ability to take a charge later, to the point of seriously compromising the battery's useful lifespan (covered above). Short answer (the one my wife prefers), Yes, get a battery-maintaining "trickle charger" or drive more often. I just think that knowing some of the "why" details are important.

Lastly, although much less widely seen in stores (if at all, don't know), look up "Battery Minder". This brand has a proprietary, patented, timed pulse to forced those gunky crystals that have deposited themselves on the plates and screens---OFF, and back into solution. I have used them exclusively for many years, I just got the small one needed for this purpose, on their site, for I think about $50.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.