Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is a log of when members are affected by the Low Battery issue on the Mazda CX-30 2019/2020/2021 models in all markets.

This is as a result of requests from members who are affected so that some form of evidence can be gathered in one place.

For background information the following threads should be reviewed:

To add your record, simply enter the following information in a new post below:
  • When and where the incident occurred
  • What the incident was (low battery warning/failed to start etc.)
  • Your car model and year
  • Did the car need to be recovered from the incident
  • Was a dealer involved
  • (if known) has the Battery Discharge update been applied by Mazda
We may update this as things go on.
To keep the thread tidy, I will remove posts made once details are entered into the table.

Reactions: OERA1

·
Administrator
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
MemberDateLocationVehicle DetailIncidentRecovery required?Dealer Involved?Battery Discharge SSP applied
@OERA1
(Mexico)
At home washing car2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWDLow Battery warningNoNoNot known
@OERA1
(Mexico)
At home washing car2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWDLow Battery warningNoNoNot known
@savcom
(UK)
9th Apr 2021At home washing car2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport TechCar wouldn't startNoYesUpdate applied to correct battery discharge after incident
@digitaldoc77
(USA)
May 2021Home, next day after picking up the car.2021 CX-30 Preferred AWD (2.5NA)Low battery alert (Numerous times)NoVehicle subsequently checked, and no issue found.Reportedly delivered with all updates applied.
@almazda
(UK)
May 2021At home or work.
Happens regularly. Having door open triggers warning
2021 CX-30 GT Sport Tech Skyactiv G Automatic.Low battery alert (this remains in place until car is driven again)NoDealer checked and confirmed battery OK. No error codes.
Dealer stated it was a normal warning and that it didn't mean battery is about to die.
Reportedly delivered with all updates applied.
@paulf
(UK)
Started Mar-20At homeGT Sport Tech X, AutoThree "failures to start"Jump-starts requiredYes. Battery replaced following the first event. No fault found sign off after the second event.Yes. Mar-21 as part of service
@Susan
(Canada)
March and April 2021At home2021 CX30 GT AWDRegular 'Low Battery' alarms. One flashing console episodeNo recovery required. Car taken for a drive instead.Not involved with incident but have been to dealership more than once. Battery checked each time and all was okNot known. Complaint made to Mazda Canada.
@DaveHenrie
(USA)
March and April 2021At home2021 C-30 PreferredOne failure to start and several 'low power' warnings, usually after washing car.No recovery required (able to jump-start)No
@SoxFan Feb'21
Mar'21
Apr'21
May'21
At home
At home
At home
At home
2021 CX30 AWD Turbo Prem+Numerous low battery warningsNo
No
No
No
No
Yes and No
No
No
Unknown
@SoxFan 2nd Apr 2021Rockville, MD2021 CX30 AWD Turbo Prem+failed to startyes. Mazda app reported interior light on. light was verified not on.
Battery fully discharged
Mazda Roadside AssistanceUnknown.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've not followed the battery issues closely since software updates fixed my car (now the car wakes up only when a door handle is touched and not when the key fob came within 3 metres). As I understand the current situation only cars manufactured from around November 2020 have the low battery message and that this message is displayed when a timer reaches 30 minutes of "switched on and engine not running". The timer logs from a door being opened to in effect the car shutting down after locking. The timer is only reset when the engine runs for more than 5 minutes or a specific fuse is pulled, charging the battery has no effect on the timer. Since the time is accumulated it is not necessarily the last "I just went to the car and opened the tailgate" action that triggers the alert. There is a Mazda Germany service bulletin on this topic if any fluent German speakers can confirm the above Energy-saving mode for the 12V battery with a message to the driver when the charge level is low I think you have to join the forum to view the document. The document also appears to have starting VIN number/production date for Japan and Mexico factories but only references "European" markets and also has a warning to dealers about ensuring the timer is reset so that the warning doesn't pop up when a customer is being shown round their new car.

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
49 Posts
Thank you Peter--on your comment that SU fixed your car. Can you provide details on that SU you are talking about? Is there a way we can tell in our vehicles if we have or need that software update? Just yesterday--I read in FB an entry from a lady that found her car dead the next day after normally using her car--she, unbeknownst to her--is thinking because she left the windows down a little. It is interesting how our minds work and start thinking on our own what it is may be causing our trouble... I am guessing she was not able to hear nor see the dash warning so that she could --as the warning suggests-- Start her car for a little while to recharge the battery. I guess the more important aspect from what you are sharing with us is the mysterious "reset" action starting the engine does--to clear that warning from keep coming on.
MemberDateLocationVehicle DetailIncidentRecovery required?Dealer Involved?Battery Discharge SSP applied
@OERA1
(Mexico)
@OERA1
(Mexico)
@savcom
(UK)
9th Apr 2021At home washing car2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport TechCar wouldn't startNoYesUpdate applied to correct battery discharge after incident
@digitaldoc77
(USA)
May 2021Home, next day after picking up the car.2021 CX-30 Preferred AWD (2.5NA)Low battery alert (Numerous times)NoVehicle subsequently checked, and no issue found.Reportedly delivered with all updates applied.
@almazda
(UK)
May 2021At home or work.
Happens regularly. Having door open triggers warning
2021 CX-30 GT Sport Tech Skyactiv G Automatic.Low battery alert (this remains in place until car is driven again)NoDealer checked and confirmed battery OK. No error codes.
Dealer stated it was a normal warning and that it didn't mean battery is about to die.
Reportedly delivered with all updates applied.
@paulf
(UK)
Started Mar-20At homeGT Sport Tech X, AutoThree "failures to start"Jump-starts requiredYes. Battery replaced following the first event. No fault found sign off after the second event.Yes. Mar-21 as part of service
@Susan
(Canada)
March and April 2021At home2021 CX30 GT AWDRegular 'Low Battery' alarms. One flashing console episodeNo recovery required. Car taken for a drive instead.Not involved with incident but have been to dealership more than once. Battery checked each time and all was okNot known. Complaint made to Mazda Canada.
@DaveHenrie
(USA)
March and April 2021At home2021 C-30 PreferredOne failure to start and several 'low power' warnings, usually after washing car.No recovery required (able to jump-start)No
John et al,

I did continue having the warning, when I was washing my car this past Saturday----and BTW--This warning is not included in all the possible warnings from the owners manual ( I was able to find it) ---Also, just happen to read something quite interesting--it happenned yesterday--as I read a lady's posting from FB--One of my many groups I now belong to. She said that, because she locked her car the day before but left the windows down a little--because it was too hot. When she tried to start her car the next day--it was DEAD completely. There is a sensor called Intrussion Sensor--and according to the manual--even wind can trigger it--Really? And are in fact recommending us not to lock our cars with windows down a little---go figure.
So, they are also telling us how to disable it. My question---How do we know if our car has these sensors?

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT AWD Snowflake White
49 Posts
Hello Fellow Members...today I brought my CX 30 GT A.W.D. or I believe Premium in the U.S.A for service as Requested by Mazda Canada.. Not Customer Service.
If you have been following my Adventures to the dealership and Customer Service this is the Latest.
M.C. gave a list of what they wanted checked...and I asked if all checked out and was told that it did whatever it all was. Software were up to date.
I asked Service Advisor if I would get a copy from them for my record when they get a reply and told no...but he says it didn't mean that they won't ask them to do other checks.

I'll say it again....all of you please go to your dealership with this matter. Start the Process. Don't just call In.
Then phone Customer Service...this will start your file.

They have had phone calls Only at this time...and I am the only one so far that is looking into this.

Doing this and that.. under your hoods... with battery and chargers and what nots might come back and haunt you and might just cancel your warranty.....on those parts and more.
Yes it is frustrating...to have to do that and keep Records but what's the alternative(s).
Can you imagine the costs of bringing your cars in after the warranty.
Your Cars are under Warranty at this time so bringing it in and getting them to check it out.

We need to push this Worldwide....Don't kid yourselves they can fix this..we are their guinea pigs. Engineers have created this mess we sure as heck don't need this and put up with it...we bought in good faith..$$$$$
Living on this side of the Pond we need each other to push together...So please North America let's do it.

I am 70 +++ from Canada and decided to treat myself...love that vehicle and driving it is a pleasure but surely did not need this of stress...like all of you.
Sincerely,
Susan

·
Registered
CX-30 2021 2.0 186HP AT
8 Posts
I've not followed the battery issues closely since software updates fixed my car (now the car wakes up only when a door handle is touched and not when the key fob came within 3 metres). As I understand the current situation only cars manufactured from around November 2020 have the low battery message and that this message is displayed when a timer reaches 30 minutes of "switched on and engine not running". The timer logs from a door being opened to in effect the car shutting down after locking. The timer is only reset when the engine runs for more than 5 minutes or a specific fuse is pulled, charging the battery has no effect on the timer. Since the time is accumulated it is not necessarily the last "I just went to the car and opened the tailgate" action that triggers the alert. There is a Mazda Germany service bulletin on this topic if any fluent German speakers can confirm the above Energy-saving mode for the 12V battery with a message to the driver when the charge level is low I think you have to join the forum to view the document. The document also appears to have starting VIN number/production date for Japan and Mexico factories but only references "European" markets and also has a warning to dealers about ensuring the timer is reset so that the warning doesn't pop up when a customer is being shown round their new car.

let's take a stab at it:

Subject:: CX-3 (DK), CX-30 (DM), CX-5 (KF), CX-9 (TC), MAZDA2 (DJ), MAZDA3 (BN, BP) and MAZDA6 (GL) with oil level, with oil level sensor warning lights light up and fault code (DTC) P250A: 00 is stored DescriptionDescription On some vehicles it is possible that the main warning light and the engine oil warning light light up and the fault code (DTC) P250A: 00 (engine oil level sensor: functional fault) is stored. The error messages are shown on the multi-information display, if the vehicle is equipped with one. The fault code (DTC) P250A: 00 is stored if the value measured by the engine oil level sensor does not change while driving. If the engine oil level is too high or the engine oil is diluted with fuel, the oil level will exceed the detection range of the sensor and the PCM will judge this as a malfunction of the engine oil level sensor.

1. Max. Detection range of the engine oil level sensor 2. Oil pan

Checking the engine oil level sensor 1. Check the oil level with a dipstick. If it exceeds the values given in Table 1, it is very likely that the cause of the error is an excessive amount of oil (for details see Service Information E012 / 18). Note: The oil level must be checked for at least 5 minutes if the engine oil temperature is above 60 ° C after the engine has been switched off. In addition, the vehicle must be on a level surface to ensure an accurate measurement.

Tabelle 1MotorÖlstandSKYACTIV-G 1.5MAX + 10 mmSKYACTIV-G 2.0MAX + 25 mmSKYACTIV-G 2.5MAX + 25 mmSKYACTIV-X 2.0MAX + 30 mmSKYACTIV-D 1.5 / 1.8MAX + 20 mmSKYACTIV-D 2.2MAX + 15 mm

2. Use the DataLogger function * of the M-MDS to check that the value given by the engine oil level sensor corresponds to the value measured with the dipstick. If the values are the same, the sensor is working correctly and the cause of the error is an excessive amount of oil or a dilution of the oil with fuel. * PID: EOL or ENG_OIL_LVL.Note: For details on the dilution of the engine oil, see service information E023 / 17

Affected VIN Model designation Model series code WMIVDS FIN range from FIN range to
CX-30CX-30 (DM)JMZDM******100001ZZZZZZ

Hope it helps

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Auto Machine Grey
11 Posts
This thread is a log of when members are affected by the Low Battery issue on the Mazda CX-30 2019/2020/2021 models in all markets.

This is as a result of requests from members who are affected so that some form of evidence can be gathered in one place.

For background information the following threads should be reviewed:

To add your record, simply enter the following information in a new post below:
  • When and where the incident occurred
  • What the incident was (low battery warning/failed to start etc.)
  • Your car model and year
  • Did the car need to be recovered from the incident
  • Was a dealer involved
  • (if known) has the Battery Discharge update been applied by Mazda
We may update this as things go on.
To keep the thread tidy, I will remove posts made once details are entered into the table.
Here’s my contribution to the list:

- have had the car for just over a week and started to get the warning from day 2, perhaps because I spent time in the car with the engine off playing with various things. It occurs seemingly randomly though I assume it is tied to accumulating 30 minutes of time with the system up but the engine off;

- I get the low battery warning and irritating chime;

- car is 2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X GT Sport auto;

- the car has not, as I write, failed to start;

- the dealer has not yet been involved other than my mentioning it briefly to sales who said the car just needed to be driven and it should simply go away;

- have yet to ascertain whether any relevant SU had been applied to th car before I took delivery but I plan to ask the dealer shortly.

Hope that is helpful.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Polymetal grey GT Sport Tech Skyactiv G auto
22 Posts
Here’s my contribution to the list:

- have had the car for just over a week and started to get the warning from day 2, perhaps because I spent time in the car with the engine off playing with various things. It occurs seemingly randomly though I assume it is tied to accumulating 30 minutes of time with the system up but the engine off;

- I get the low battery warning and irritating chime;

- car is Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X GT Sport auto;

- the car has not, as I write, failed to start;

- the dealer has not yet been involved other than my mentioning it briefly to sales who said the car just needed to be driven and it should simply go away;

- have yet to ascertain whether any relevant SU had been applied to th car before I took delivery but I plan to ask the dealer shortly.

Hope that is helpful.
Yeah, it's worth mentioning to the dealer just so they can log it. The more people that pester dealers about it the better, then Mazda might do something about it. I expect they will just tell you what they told me, "Your battery is fine and it doesn't mean its about to die".
If your car is new then all the latest updates will have been applied at the factory. Mine had been and I got it in March.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 AWD Turbo Premium+ (Soul Red/White)
7 Posts
My entries are in the above table. My Dealer indicated the low battery warning was a known issue and did not reflect the actual battery status. Mazda was aware. Cause is reported to be frequent "wake up" of the system when people approach the car. Have not been back to dealer since the roadside assist but will bring to their attention on next visit.

·
Administrator
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it's worth mentioning to the dealer just so they can log it. The more people that pester dealers about it the better, then Mazda might do something about it. I expect they will just tell you what they told me, "Your battery is fine and it doesn't mean its about to die".
If you are writing/emailing the dealer, it may be beneficial to send them links to these discussions to show the level of member/owner dissatisfaction about the whole battery control logic.

If your car is new then all the latest updates will have been applied at the factory. Mine had been and I got it in March.
Your car may have been purchased 'new' but it may have stood in a lot for a few months (mine had, for example, been sat for six months before being sold, due to the pandemic) so I would specifically get the dealer check and confirm to you that all relevant updates have been applied - or use the Mazda VIN utility to check for yourself

·
Registered
2021 CX30 AWD Turbo Premium+ (Soul Red/White)
7 Posts
If you are writing/emailing the dealer, it may be beneficial to send them links to these discussions to show the level of member/owner dissatisfaction about the whole battery control logic.
I visit the dealer and speak directly to the service manager.

Your car may have been purchased 'new' but it may have stood in a lot for a few months (mine had, for example, been sat for six months before being sold, due to the pandemic) so I would specifically get the dealer check and confirm to you that all relevant updates have been applied - or use the Mazda VIN utility to check for yourself
My CX30 model wasn't even available until 30 Dec, we bought it on 6 Jan. The service manager says they check for updates every time it comes in for service. I don't know about the Mazda VIN utility. Can you provide some additional details? I had to go to Mazda.ca to get updates for the maps and gracenote. .

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Auto Machine Grey
11 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Mazda VIN utility. Can you let us know how to access and use it? I assume that it may be more reliable than asking the dealer re software updates I may or may not have ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts