Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sport Lux
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Guess I'll have to join this hallucinating crowd. Mine just did it for the second time today. First time, we were on a trip, and I ran into to grab a snack. Came out and asked my wife (who was still in the car) why she opened the hatch. She was totally unaware it had opened. Second time was today when I walked out into my garage, and it was open. Totally random, fob in it's normal spot in house. Hope someone figures this out, and soon.
My car is going in for the recall on Monday, spoke to Mazda yesterday, they once again said its not possible and no one else has ever reported it. So I am not confident. To be honest, I wont be keeping mine much longer, I've had it 18 months. But I'm still frustrated Mazda clearly think I'm making it up.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
123 Posts
My car is going in for the recall on Monday, spoke to Mazda yesterday, they once again said its not possible and no one else has ever reported it. So I am not confident. To be honest, I wont be keeping mine much longer, I've had it 18 months. But I'm still frustrated Mazda clearly think I'm making it up.
It's a shame that whomever you are talking to at the dealer is leaving you with the impression that you are making this up, rest-assured that the technicians who actually do the work would not take that opinion. That being said, there is little that they can do unless they can get the problem to occur, and that means they probably need it to occur more than just one time while they are testing the system to work out the answer.

I could outline here how a technician would go about tracking a problem like this down but suffice it to say that the process would be tedious. The most likely suspects (but not the only possibilities) would be a problem with one of the key fobs as mentioned or a problem with the hatch switch circuit. By monitoring both of those for starters with a scan tool and a digital oscilloscope simultaneously (I have a receiver that would trigger when it see's a key Fob talking) plus watching for the command from the power liftgate module to open the hatch the first phase of the diagnostics would be completed when the gate opened itself. That's not much but it would be a starting point for the process allowing for some potential causes to be ruled out while others would still be in play. Then depending on what was discovered the second phase could be set-up and now the process repeats with the waiting and watching for it to happen again. Some things like this can be solved with a single event, others can take numerous events while data is gathered that leads to the answer.

There is one part of this that few outside of the repair trade know. As a technician assigned to figure this out it's likely the majority of the time invested would be unpaid hours. The repair itself once proven would have the technician paid by the warranty flat rate manual but that would amount to a small fraction of the actual time the tech might have to dedicate towards the task. (That BTW is not a Mazda thing it happens with every vehicle manufacturer.)

·
Registered
2020 Sport Lux
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It's a shame that whomever you are talking to at the dealer is leaving you with the impression that you are making this up, rest-assured that the technicians who actually do the work would not take that opinion. That being said, there is little that they can do unless they can get the problem to occur, and that means they probably need it to occur more than just one time while they are testing the system to work out the answer.

I could outline here how a technician would go about tracking a problem like this down but suffice it to say that the process would be tedious. The most likely suspects (but not the only possibilities) would be a problem with one of the key fobs as mentioned or a problem with the hatch switch circuit. By monitoring both of those for starters with a scan tool and a digital oscilloscope simultaneously (I have a receiver that would trigger when it see's a key Fob talking) plus watching for the command from the power liftgate module to open the hatch the first phase of the diagnostics would be completed when the gate opened itself. That's not much but it would be a starting point for the process allowing for some potential causes to be ruled out while others would still be in play. Then depending on what was discovered the second phase could be set-up and now the process repeats with the waiting and watching for it to happen again. Some things like this can be solved with a single event, others can take numerous events while data is gathered that leads to the answer.

There is one part of this that few outside of the repair trade know. As a technician assigned to figure this out it's likely the majority of the time invested would be unpaid hours. The repair itself once proven would have the technician paid by the warranty flat rate manual but that would amount to a small fraction of the actual time the tech might have to dedicate towards the task. (That BTW is not a Mazda thing it happens with every vehicle manufacturer.)
You're right, I only ever get to deal with the front desk staff not technicians. I had a note added to the technician document yesterday to ensure they were aware of the issue. I got a call from the garage after only 1 hour. They told me they had done the system update, but my model didn't need the boot struts replacing so they wont investigate the boot issue. I am welcome to book it in for a separate repair, but they couldn't guarantee it would be covered by the warranty??? Its only 18 months old, less than 1600 miles. To be honest, I was already on the verge of selling it, I think the customer service has made my mind up.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
719 Posts
To be honest, I was already on the verge of selling it, I think the customer service has made my mind up.
I'm sorry to hear that - but you can't go on driving a car you're not happy with. If you're canny with your buying, there are good trade-in deals with Mazdas in the UK at the moment. I've had two dealers contacting me with offers for trade-in and my son has taken advantage of his dealer and got a new Mazda 3 for the same money he's paying now for his 18-month old car.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Reactions: Grillz80

·
Registered
2020 Sport Lux
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm sorry to hear that - but you can't go on driving a car you're not happy with. If you're canny with your buying, there are good trade-in deals with Mazdas in the UK at the moment. I've had two dealers contacting me with offers for trade-in and my son has taken advantage of his dealer and got a new Mazda 3 for the same money he's paying now for his 18-month old car.

Good luck with your endeavours.
Thanks, I'll shop around. I like a taller car, so have always gone for Jukes, but the new next generation one is woeful. Which is why I went for the Mazda and I do like all the gizmos it comes with. My mileage is very low, so fingers crossed I'll get a good deal.

·
Registered
2020 Sport Lux
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bump.
Did anyone get to the bottom of this? Mine has just done it too.

Keep safe
Hi,
Mazda refused to check it when I took the car in, they said it can't happen and I must have pressed the fob. Unless my house is haunted, no one touched that fob. Sorry that doesn't help you, though might be worth showing them this thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Mazda refused to check it when I took the car in, they said it can't happen and I must have pressed the fob. Unless my house is haunted, no one touched that fob. Sorry that doesn't help you, though might be worth showing them this thread.

Cheers, will do.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
180 Posts
I've never had this happen to me, but my car is parked in the garage at night and I was always paranoid about another family member accidentally triggering the hatch button on the remote while fumbling around with the various vehicle fobs in our key box, so I keep it in a faraday bag that blocks the signal. The spare remote is kept in my office (also in a faraday bag, but only because they came as a set of two).

I'd be worried about it opening inside with the garage door closed and damaging the hatch.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
Another advantage of my lowly S model, no random boot openings. This is an interesting case study. Looking forward to learning the cause and resolution.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Skyactive-X FWD, Sport Tech, Polymetal grey
24 Posts
I had this happen once - on the day of pickup.
Left the car in the drive for the first time and looked out later the boot was open.
Rural area, no other cars around.

However...
I had been adding keys to the keyring etc and generally fiddling/initially too many keys without intermediate rings in my pocket, initially directly through the (too narrow IMHO) fob loop.

Could have easily been me pushing the button without noticing, or undue twist/side pressure on the fob.

Has not happened since ~900 miles driven now.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts