Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Update your profile
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have it? I just bought the 2021 Cx30 with the Premium package. I love how it looks inside and out. It rides well on the freeway but any rough roads, I feel like I'm riding a horse! Any tips to make it better? Would larger tires help? I checked the tire pressure and it's 36/38/33/36 DF/PF/DR/PR

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 SP (Sport Plus)
171 Posts
A taller side wall tire might help a little but you are never going to get a luxury SUV ride as the CX30 is tuned to give a sporty ride. You should have found out about the ride quality on your test drive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anyone else have it? I just bought the 2021 Cx30 with the Premium package. I love how it looks inside and out. It rides well on the freeway but any rough roads, I feel like I'm riding a horse! Any tips to make it better? Would larger tires help? I checked the tire pressure and it's 36/38/33/36 DF/PF/DR/PR
I feel your pain. The ride quality is the biggest disappointment with my 3. Recommended tire pressures are quite a bit higher than most manufacturer's. I have improved the ride quality in my 3 to acceptable by going 33 front, 30 rear. That reduces understeer a little too. If handling overall suffers as a result, I can't tell it.

I have to wonder why Mazda recommends the same high pressure front and rear, even though the front is carrying over 60% of the weight and undergoes much greater loads in cornering and braking. My suspicion is they want to keep it simple for the customer and maximise fuel economy.

The taller sidewalls of CX 30 do not seem to give it any better ride quality than the 3. Perhaps the higher C.G. and shorter wheelbase of the 30 cancel out what should be an advantage.

·
Registered
2020 Cx-30 GS
3 Posts
I bought mine in march 2020 and in my case, the ride became way more comfortable after a couple of kilometers (around 1k). I found the overall suspension to be softer on dirt road rolling with the 18" stock tires. I have not done anything to the car but as other wrote, tire pressure might help!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
120 Posts
Yes!!! It most definitely will soften up as you continue to use the CUV. I am at 14,000 miles now and it rides so much smoother. And some how has maintained its excellent handling characteristics.

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
641 Posts
Yes!!! It most definitely will soften up as you continue to use the CUV. I am at 14,000 miles now and it rides so much smoother. And some how has maintained its excellent handling characteristics.
I find even the transmission had to go through a sort of break in period.. now at 17,300 km it has smoothed right out to the point sometimes I have to remind my self that it's not a CVT .. it's pretty buttery smooth now.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 GT Sport Tech Skyactive X Auto Deep Crystal Blue
57 Posts
It's a well known fact in the motor trade (new or used) that dealers deliberately reduce tyre pressures in the cars you take out for a test drive. It makes the car ride better on town roads, dampening out the rougher ride normal pressures give. They also know you will not be driving at high speeds which may effect the handling as few potential drivers get the chance to use motorways or go for a high speed thrash.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD Premium Polymetal Gray
2 Posts
I traded a Fiat 124 for my CX-30, so the CX-30 feels like a cloud in comparison. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just out of interest have you checked the tyre pressures, if the dealer has not carried out a proper PDI you may find as I and other owners have discovered, the pressures could be as high as 46psi. I noticed the choppy ride then saw comments on this forum about high pressures from the manufacturers.

On checking mine two weeks after ownership all the tyres showed a reading of over 40psi. I lowered them to 34psi (2psi under recommendations) and the ride is fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry, I did not spot the pressures had been adjusted to: 36/38/33/36 DF/PF/DR/PR

·
Update your profile
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel your pain. The ride quality is the biggest disappointment with my 3. Recommended tire pressures are quite a bit higher than most manufacturer's. I have improved the ride quality in my 3 to acceptable by going 33 front, 30 rear. That reduces understeer a little too. If handling overall suffers as a result, I can't tell it.

I have to wonder why Mazda recommends the same high pressure front and rear, even though the front is carrying over 60% of the weight and undergoes much greater loads in cornering and breaking. My suspicion is they want to keep it simple for the customer and maximise fuel economy.

The taller sidewalls of CX 30 do not seem to give it any better ride quality than the 3. Perhaps the higher C.G. and shorter wheelbase of the 30 cancel out what should be an advantage.
Thanks! I will definitely try that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks! I will definitely try that.
A word of caution, and I am assuming the low tire pressure warning works the same in the 30 as the 3. If you reduce the pressures directly from the recommended, the warning will not activate. But if the warning is triggered for whatever reason, you must first inflate to the recommended pressures, drive till the warning disappears, and then deflate to the lower pressures. The warning will only return if there is a real problem.

·
Registered
2021 PP Turbo Polymetal Gray
43 Posts
The ride in ours is bumpier than expected -- not harsh but a bit jittery. It's not sports car stiff, but neither is it big sedan smooth. On the other hand, it handles much more like a sports car than a big sedan. If I were Dave Coleman, Mazda US Grand Poobah of Vehicle Dynamics, I'd probably choose spring rates and dampers that give a softer, more compliant ride in the standard CX30, but wouldn't sacrifice handling precision for ride quality in the high performance turbo version.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts