Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Update your profile
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have it? I just bought the 2021 Cx30 with the Premium package. I love how it looks inside and out. It rides well on the freeway but any rough roads, I feel like I'm riding a horse! Any tips to make it better? Would larger tires help? I checked the tire pressure and it's 36/38/33/36 DF/PF/DR/PR

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
Anyone else have it? I just bought the 2021 Cx30 with the Premium package. I love how it looks inside and out. It rides well on the freeway but any rough roads, I feel like I'm riding a horse! Any tips to make it better? Would larger tires help? I checked the tire pressure and it's 36/38/33/36 DF/PF/DR/PR
I feel your pain. The ride quality is the biggest disappointment with my 3. Recommended tire pressures are quite a bit higher than most manufacturer's. I have improved the ride quality in my 3 to acceptable by going 33 front, 30 rear. That reduces understeer a little too. If handling overall suffers as a result, I can't tell it.

I have to wonder why Mazda recommends the same high pressure front and rear, even though the front is carrying over 60% of the weight and undergoes much greater loads in cornering and braking. My suspicion is they want to keep it simple for the customer and maximise fuel economy.

The taller sidewalls of CX 30 do not seem to give it any better ride quality than the 3. Perhaps the higher C.G. and shorter wheelbase of the 30 cancel out what should be an advantage.

·
Registered
2020 Cx-30 GS
5 Posts
I bought mine in march 2020 and in my case, the ride became way more comfortable after a couple of kilometers (around 1k). I found the overall suspension to be softer on dirt road rolling with the 18" stock tires. I have not done anything to the car but as other wrote, tire pressure might help!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
167 Posts
Yes!!! It most definitely will soften up as you continue to use the CUV. I am at 14,000 miles now and it rides so much smoother. And some how has maintained its excellent handling characteristics.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
Yes!!! It most definitely will soften up as you continue to use the CUV. I am at 14,000 miles now and it rides so much smoother. And some how has maintained its excellent handling characteristics.
I find even the transmission had to go through a sort of break in period.. now at 17,300 km it has smoothed right out to the point sometimes I have to remind my self that it's not a CVT .. it's pretty buttery smooth now.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 GT Sport Tech Skyactive X Auto Deep Crystal Blue
72 Posts
It's a well known fact in the motor trade (new or used) that dealers deliberately reduce tyre pressures in the cars you take out for a test drive. It makes the car ride better on town roads, dampening out the rougher ride normal pressures give. They also know you will not be driving at high speeds which may effect the handling as few potential drivers get the chance to use motorways or go for a high speed thrash.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 GT Sport Tech Skyactive X Auto Deep Crystal Blue
72 Posts
Just out of interest have you checked the tyre pressures, if the dealer has not carried out a proper PDI you may find as I and other owners have discovered, the pressures could be as high as 46psi. I noticed the choppy ride then saw comments on this forum about high pressures from the manufacturers.

On checking mine two weeks after ownership all the tyres showed a reading of over 40psi. I lowered them to 34psi (2psi under recommendations) and the ride is fine.

·
Update your profile
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel your pain. The ride quality is the biggest disappointment with my 3. Recommended tire pressures are quite a bit higher than most manufacturer's. I have improved the ride quality in my 3 to acceptable by going 33 front, 30 rear. That reduces understeer a little too. If handling overall suffers as a result, I can't tell it.

I have to wonder why Mazda recommends the same high pressure front and rear, even though the front is carrying over 60% of the weight and undergoes much greater loads in cornering and breaking. My suspicion is they want to keep it simple for the customer and maximise fuel economy.

The taller sidewalls of CX 30 do not seem to give it any better ride quality than the 3. Perhaps the higher C.G. and shorter wheelbase of the 30 cancel out what should be an advantage.
Thanks! I will definitely try that.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
Thanks! I will definitely try that.
A word of caution, and I am assuming the low tire pressure warning works the same in the 30 as the 3. If you reduce the pressures directly from the recommended, the warning will not activate. But if the warning is triggered for whatever reason, you must first inflate to the recommended pressures, drive till the warning disappears, and then deflate to the lower pressures. The warning will only return if there is a real problem.

·
Registered
2021 PP Turbo Polymetal Gray
45 Posts
The ride in ours is bumpier than expected -- not harsh but a bit jittery. It's not sports car stiff, but neither is it big sedan smooth. On the other hand, it handles much more like a sports car than a big sedan. If I were Dave Coleman, Mazda US Grand Poobah of Vehicle Dynamics, I'd probably choose spring rates and dampers that give a softer, more compliant ride in the standard CX30, but wouldn't sacrifice handling precision for ride quality in the high performance turbo version.

·
Registered
98 Posts
TIRE SELECTION
People : Look out, because you are going to be in for some disapointments.

The sleection of tire is not to be taken lightly !

There is no one tire out there as the be all and end all ,so ! be prepared to accept some compremises.
such as :-
Soft tires give nice ride but don't last long.
Hard tire give uncomfortable ride with good milage.
and so on
May i recomend you make a list of your requirement in order of preference
Speed rating needs to be near the top of the list.

Pitfalls
Many of you may be like me would want to go for super wide tires that may require wider/ taller wheels ,
Note : There are safety limitations.
I have decided not to" chance fate" an stick with O.E.M. size 215 / 55 /R18 as you only get an extra 3/4" wider with a 225 or 235/ 50/ R18 which cause pinching not, good on a 7" O.E.M. rim.

I can not stess enough the importance relating to the selection of suitable OE.M. tires for your car the variables in tire selection are some what conflicting , road conditions , climate conditions , are changing variables are enough to make you pull you hair out.

Go for your favourite brand name first , next find with in that brand name that tire which offers your cars correct size, now comes the hard part selecting the build date; ride quality ; summer ; winter ; all season; speed ratings ; tire ware ; and so on.

Try not to be guided by price as that is not considering people safety.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Less than 1/2"
May I add to my comments above .
Correcting errors to be honest with you .
The 225mm wide tire gives you an additional wider tire by 4/10 " or 0.393 mm over the 215 mm tire so you are looking at less that 1/2"

·
Registered
98 Posts
CXNewbie21
TIRE PRESSURE

Dependant on the time of year vehicles driven in hot climates will experiance radical changes in tire pressure.

I have seen roads give off steam after a quick rain shower.

I have also experienced tire pressure fluctuations on other cars I see tire pressure changing by as much as 6 P.S.I . due to hot roads; long distance driving.

To save gas. Do not over inflate tires.

Excessive breaking and hard cornering affects tire pressure

I often let my car range and only use brakes when absolutely nessesary.

Traction control must be taken into consideration.

The many variations in tire tread and specifications affect tire pressure.

There are very few after market brand names and tire sizes that fit the CX30 be prepared for many disapointments, consequently you may not get the perfect tire or should I say safe tire.

Tire manufactures and dealers want your money and will only tell you what they want you to know.

Tire reviews often reflect conflicting oppinions.

Find your dislike you have to live with that .

" I do not like constant tire road noise."

·
Registered
98 Posts
CXNewbie 21
With larger tires comes the posibility of larger wheels then you are looking at increasing the un ~ sprung weight.
You may like to try some extra people in the vehicle before changing the vehicle specifications after all the CX30 in a 4 person car ... may be +1 extra rear seat middle plus luggage !
Heavy cars wheels bounce .
Heavy wheels car bounce.

Donald

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.