2021 Mazda CX-30 2.5T Premium
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car & Driver initial review and updated performance results

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 5.8 sec
1/4 mile: 14.3 sec @ 97 mph
100 mph: 15.1 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.4 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.0 sec
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 128 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 179 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.82 g
*stability-control-inhibited

C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 27 mpg

Unfortunately, the 215mm Turanza EL440 tires disappointed with 0.82g skid test. I myself don't quite understand why Mazda built something made to be enjoyed for performance and didn't think to go with a higher rated all season tire.

With some Michelin P.S. 4 A/S 235/50's on the stock 18x7 wheels the difference is quite noticeable, and I'm sure the same is true with the other top rated all seasons. I'd be very curious to see a retest with that in mind, but I understand that's not how it works lol.

Regardless, happy to see the CX-30 Turbo beat out pretty much every non-sedan/coupe available under $40k. Interesting to see where Mazda will be in the next few years...

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo
306 Posts
From the Car and Driver review:

"Among subcompact SUVs in this price range, the updated Mazda's acceleration makes it one of the swiftest options out there. To find something quicker requires stepping up to one of the small, sporty options from BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-AMG, or Mini. But those near-300-horsepower alternatives come with a five-figure premium over the CX-30 Turbo's $31,225 starting price."

also:

"We recorded 68 decibels of sound at a steady 70 mph, which is decently quiet and the same as you'll hear in a Mercedes GLA250" (0-60 mph in 6.3 seconds...)

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo
306 Posts
Comparing cost, I took a +1 size increase from 215/55-18 to 235/50-18 as a given (with the EXACT SAME overall diameter), and here are the prices:

Our CURRENT tires;

Upgraded Performance Tires:

MUCH BETTER tires for $138 LESS a set...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Comparing cost, I took a +1 size increase from 215/55-18 to 235/50-18 as a given (with the EXACT SAME overall diameter), and here are the prices:

Our CURRENT tires;
View attachment 1797

Upgraded Performance Tires:
View attachment 1798

MUCH BETTER tires for $138 LESS a set...
Having ridden the difference, though I went the Pilot Sport 4 route rather than the Eagle Sports, there doesn't seem to be a single valid explanation for Mazda's choice here other than a corporate deal on them unless I'm totally missing something.

Regardless, for anyone reading this considering changing out tires, able to mentally justify changing out tires before end of lifespan, do it and you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
Oh, I'm positive OEM tires are selected for reasons of economy; there's absolutely no way it makes sense otherwise. Now the question is if I want to get aftermarket wheels for extra weight savings. 🤔
If you have the cash and the desire, there are gains to be made with lighter and/or wider wheels. For bang for the buck, just get some better rubber.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
Car & Driver initial review and updated performance results

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 5.8 sec
1/4 mile: 14.3 sec @ 97 mph
100 mph: 15.1 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.4 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.0 sec
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 128 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 179 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.82 g
*stability-control-inhibited

C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 27 mpg

Unfortunately, the 215mm Turanza EL440 tires disappointed with 0.82g skid test. I myself don't quite understand why Mazda built something made to be enjoyed for performance and didn't think to go with a higher rated all season tire.

With some Michelin P.S. 4 A/S 235/50's on the stock 18x7 wheels the difference is quite noticeable, and I'm sure the same is true with the other top rated all seasons. I'd be very curious to see a retest with that in mind, but I understand that's not how it works lol.

Regardless, happy to see the CX-30 Turbo beat out pretty much every non-sedan/coupe available under $40k. Interesting to see where Mazda will be in the next few years...
I must say that's a pretty impressive time! wow.. cant wait to upgrade to one :) Really best in its class power.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you have the cash and the desire, there are gains to be made with lighter and/or wider wheels. For bang for the buck, just get some better rubber.
I am still waiting for my car to be delivered, so I'm going to ask the dealer for a deal on new tires - since these will be "0 km", they may take them back at a nice price (and chuck them in some old lady's car) and fit a pair that's, basically, safer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am still waiting for my car to be delivered, so I'm going to ask the dealer for a deal on new tires - since these will be "0 km", they may take them back at a nice price (and chuck them in some old lady's car) and fit a pair that's, basically, safer.
You likely won't have a ton of luck approaching it from a safety standpoint considering Mazda received 5 star safety ratings with the Turanzas. I'm not sure how valuable the tires are (new or not) to the dealerships. Definitely worth asking the dealership if you can get anything back from brand new Turanza's though, if you're sure about changing out the tires there's no use in wearing in the other ones, and maybe they may have a use for them and maybe they will do a free install or knock a couple hundred off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You likely won't have a ton of luck approaching it from a safety standpoint considering Mazda received 5 star safety ratings with the Turanzas. I'm not sure how valuable the tires are (new or not) to the dealerships. Definitely worth asking the dealership if you can get anything back from brand new Turanza's though, if you're sure about changing out the tires there's no use in wearing in the other ones, and maybe they may have a use for them and maybe they will do a free install or knock a couple hundred off.
The 5 star safety rating is for collision avoidance and mitigation, it has nothing to do with tires. But indeed, I hope they offer something back for the unused tires, it sure beats throwing them away with 0 km (or trying to sell the to the ignorant masses).

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
The 5 star safety rating is for collision avoidance and mitigation, it has nothing to do with tires. But indeed, I hope they offer something back for the unused tires, it sure beats throwing them away with 0 km (or trying to sell the to the ignorant masses).
As to be expected... the stock tires don't like a experienced spirited driver... not meant to handle well in that case.. the turbo when i upgrade to it.. I want to throw a set of perelli performance A/S tire. Had perelli tires on my rally race car when i had it and loved the tires as they handled great being thrown around corners at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
219 Posts
I might be wrong here, but I don't believe that either IIHS or NHTSA safety testing really involves the tires; it's mostly crash and safety systems testing (for which the CX-30 scored very well). The moose test, on the other hand, could almost certainly be improved with a better tire, and the CX-30 did not fare that well in it (though that failure is not just limited to tire performance).

·
Registered
743 Posts
I might be wrong here, but I don't believe that either IIHS or NHTSA safety testing really involves the tires; it's mostly crash and safety systems testing (for which the CX-30 scored very well). The moose test, on the other hand, could almost certainly be improved with a better tire, and the CX-30 did not fare that well in it (though that failure is not just limited to tire performance).
if safety was related to tires then they would be testing the vehicle in ice and snow conditions.. to which LOL the tires would fail miserably 😂

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.