Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the U.K. catalytic convertor theft is increasing massively. Thrives apparently target certain models/makes. This got me wondering how “desirable” and how easy to nick is the CX30 cat?

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but catalytic converter theft is a global issue, so not just prevalent in the UK. However, one UK insurance company has assessed claims made for Catalytic Converter theft and the top four cars targeted are the Honda Jazz, Toyota Prius, Toyota Auris and Lexus RX. Apparently Hybrids such as these are particular favourites for thieves as their converters don’t work as hard as in other vehicles and so the precious metals contained in them are less corroded.

Another report shows that where you live may increase your chances of being targeted; the top three areas are London, Birmingham and Coventry.

As to the ease of removing a CX-30 cat I don't know. Has anyone seen the underside of their vehicle to check how accessible the cat is?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
111 Posts
Here in the U.K. catalytic convertor theft is increasing massively. Thrives apparently target certain models/makes. This got me wondering how “desirable” and how easy to nick is the CX30 cat?
Theives got my honda accord CAT ....quicksaw ... After about a year of thefts they were finally caught, Cost too much to fix car (OEM CAT $1500) that
I bought new CX-30 instead and cut my losses. FYI ...The prius CATs are $3200 a piece

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but catalytic converter theft is a global issue, so not just prevalent in the UK. However, one UK insurance company has assessed claims made for Catalytic Converter theft and the top four cars targeted are the Honda Jazz, Toyota Prius, Toyota Auris and Lexus RX. Apparently Hybrids such as these are particular favourites for thieves as their converters don’t work as hard as in other vehicles and so the precious metals contained in them are less corroded.

Another report shows that where you live may increase your chances of being targeted; the top three areas are London, Birmingham and Coventry.

As to the ease of removing a CX-30 cat I don't know. Has anyone seen the underside of their vehicle to check how accessible the cat is?
CX-30 has CAT integrated with the exhaust manifold... $1800 us dollars (w/o labor) ...

Catalytic Converter with Integrated Exhaust Manifold

PY1G2050X Product Image View Catalytic Converter with Integrated Exhaust Manifold Full-Sized Product Image

Part Number: PY1G2050X
Supersession(s): PY1G-20-50X; PY1C2050X

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
CX-30 has CAT integrated with the exhaust manifold... $1800 us dollars (w/o labor) ...
Good. That looks very difficult to remove at the side of the road with an angle grinder. Presumably that would be for the USA model (2.5l?) Anyone know if this applies to UK/Euro models?

While you're here, @CaliJoe you still need to complete your registration like this:
  1. Go to top right, click on your avatar then click on Account Settings
  2. Then in Location field, enter your ‘Location’ (The town and country you live in).
  3. In Vehicle Details: enter your CX-30 details.
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Save

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 SEL LUX
147 Posts
Was at a local theme park last Saturday ( July 3rd ) was interrupted by the ring doorbell, there stood the police, 9 cars were done in our village, the neighbours Honda Jazz was one of them, app they were seen under my CX 30 and my dads Citroen ( both ok ) The Honda was a 2004, clean car low mileage, app will be written off as the price of the cat outweighs the value of the car

·
Registered
111 Posts
Was at a local theme park last Saturday ( July 3rd ) was interrupted by the ring doorbell, there stood the police, 9 cars were done in our village, the neighbours Honda Jazz was one of them, app they were seen under my CX 30 and my dads Citroen ( both ok ) The Honda was a 2004, clean car low mileage, app will be written off as the price of the cat outweighs the value of the car
thats what happened with my car ...write off as fixing cat would cost more than car worth,,, cut your losses

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.