Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CX-30 Sagging Power Liftgate Recall

"The Mazda CX-30 is one of our favorite subcompact crossovers thanks to its gorgeous styling, luxury car-rivaling interior and zoom-zoom dynamics. Grab a 2021 model with the newly available 2.5-liter turbocharged engine and it is genuinely fun to drive, something you can't say about many of its competitors. This stellar little vehicle's otherwise sterling reputation is being sullied somewhat by a recall, however, which was announced on Feb. 18.

The automaker is calling back certain 2020 and 2021 CX-30s -- just shy of 14,000 vehicles in total -- because the power liftgate can unexpectedly lower when the vehicle is parked on an upward-facing hill, particularly when ambient temperatures are high. While far from the most egregious recall ever issued, if you're loading cargo in the back or just sitting on the bumper this could cause bodily injury. CX-30s not affected by this action either feature improved control software that prevents the hatch from dropping on its own or are simply not fitted with power-operated liftgates.

Models affected by this droopy-hatch defect were produced between Oct. 1, 2019 and Nov. 24, 2020. If this recall applies to your vehicle, Mazda will reach out via mail with instructions on how to get the issue rectified. This is expected to be completed no later than April 19, so keep an eye on your postbox for a note from Mazda. As for the repair, dealers will update the liftgate control modules with new software and, if necessary, replace the drive units with updated parts. This will all be done free of charge.

If you have any questions about this CX-30 recall, reach out to Mazda at 1-800-222-5500. You can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration directly by calling 1-888-327-4236. Mazda's internal number for this recall is 4621B; NHTSA's campaign number is 21V086000. If this recall applies to your CX-30, get it taken care of as soon as possible and stay safe out there."

And from the NHTSA website:

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
698 Posts
CX-30 Sagging Power Liftgate Recall

"The Mazda CX-30 is one of our favorite subcompact crossovers thanks to its gorgeous styling, luxury car-rivaling interior and zoom-zoom dynamics. Grab a 2021 model with the newly available 2.5-liter turbocharged engine and it is genuinely fun to drive, something you can't say about many of its competitors. This stellar little vehicle's otherwise sterling reputation is being sullied somewhat by a recall, however, which was announced on Feb. 18.

The automaker is calling back certain 2020 and 2021 CX-30s -- just shy of 14,000 vehicles in total -- because the power liftgate can unexpectedly lower when the vehicle is parked on an upward-facing hill, particularly when ambient temperatures are high. While far from the most egregious recall ever issued, if you're loading cargo in the back or just sitting on the bumper this could cause bodily injury. CX-30s not affected by this action either feature improved control software that prevents the hatch from dropping on its own or are simply not fitted with power-operated liftgates.

Models affected by this droopy-hatch defect were produced between Oct. 1, 2019 and Nov. 24, 2020. If this recall applies to your vehicle, Mazda will reach out via mail with instructions on how to get the issue rectified. This is expected to be completed no later than April 19, so keep an eye on your postbox for a note from Mazda. As for the repair, dealers will update the liftgate control modules with new software and, if necessary, replace the drive units with updated parts. This will all be done free of charge.

If you have any questions about this CX-30 recall, reach out to Mazda at 1-800-222-5500. You can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration directly by calling 1-888-327-4236. Mazda's internal number for this recall is 4621B; NHTSA's campaign number is 21V086000. If this recall applies to your CX-30, get it taken care of as soon as possible and stay safe out there."

View attachment 1515
Just called Mazda Canada's customer service line and no open recalls on mine as of yet.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
72 Posts
I was happy to see the recall, my CX-30 has done that from day one. It's fine when parked on flat pavement but get on an incline like my driveway and the liftgate will start to come down. If you don't watch out you will get your head bopped.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was happy to see the recall, my CX-30 has done that from day one. It's fine when parked on flat pavement but get on an incline like my driveway and the liftgate will start to come down. If you don't watch out you will get your head bopped.
Carfax notified me of the recall the other day I haven't called my dealer yet as I haven't noticed the issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you for posting this. Could you post the link where you found that info on the NHTSA site? I've searched the site and it mentions 3 recalls for the cx30 but when I click it there are no recalls listed. I searched by the campain number 21V086000 as well but it comes up empty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Carfax notified me of the recall the other day I haven't called my dealer yet as I haven't noticed the issue.
That's how I first saw it as well, got a Carfax notification. Nothing from Mazda yet.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for posting this. Could you post the link where you found that info on the NHTSA site? I've searched the site and it mentions 3 recalls for the cx30 but when I click it there are no recalls listed. I searched by the campain number 21V086000 as well but it comes up empty.
This is the direct link to the NHTSA site: Power Liftgate May Lower Unexpectedly

·
Registered
2020 Deep Crystal Blue Mica CX-30 Premium AWD
7 Posts
I had this issue but it was because of heavy snow on the tailgate. I had to open it to get out the snow brush and it came down on my head. I learned my lesson and now store the snow brush in the back seat area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts