Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Update your profile and enter your Vehicle Details
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking about the REAR wiper blade. Following the manual, I got as far as removing the "cover" over the pivot. (first time I've ever had to do that to get the wiper into the service position). Then I'm supposed to remove the "stop". The diagram simply show that it is removed in the vertical direction. Except there is nothing to remove once the cover is off. And I can't get the arm into the service position. The piece in the diagram seems to be a solid part of the plastic on my arm. Can't get a wiggle out of it. As much as I like the -30, having to follow such a complex procedure to change a wiper blade seems a bit loony. Thanks to anyone with any info or ideas.
Font Line Parallel Automotive design Diagram

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,191 Posts
I haven't done it on this vehicle (now you've brought it to our attention I'll have to take a closer look 😀), but my previous vehicles with the rear wiper were easy pretty easy to replace, but it's not an item that you replace very often, I usually went 3-4 years before replacement as they don't get the same use as your front wipers.

When I bought my wiper from the dealer (on my previous car) they change it at no charge.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Auto Machine Grey
51 Posts
A different take - I've always thought of the rear wiper on an otherwise cool ride to be an aesthetic distraction, read, ugly.

Solution:

AXO-8-601 Rear Wiper Delete (corksport.com)
Aside from the rear wiper being an essential safety feature in my view, why would anyone want to dismantle half a car to put what is effectively a bung in a hole that you have created yourself 😳 Just saying 😉

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm confused about what is being attempted here. The posted extract of the manual for replacing the rear wiper blade doesn't seem to match the instructions given in the online CX-30 manual at https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-30/cx-30_8hq1ee19i/contents/07031102.html
I think the online manual is missing a step (that is actually the 3 step), my owners manual shows what was shown on the first post, there has to be some sort of stop there as you can't simply bend the wiper arm off the glass as shown in the first step of the online OM - try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've just tried to change the wiper blade. There is a keyway in the spindle hub where something could be inserted to prevent the arm from being lifted but certainly never fitted on my car. I can't think of any benefit in preventing the wiper being manually parked off the screen.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

The removal of the blade is as described in the manual - rotate the blade away from the arm and it cams out
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could it be that in some markets the theft of wiper blades is a common occurrence and the adding of a plug prevents casual theft of the blade? - but increases the chance of a broken arm if force is used.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
...it could also mean that perhaps it helps the wiper keep more flush with the glass and preventing it from lifting at high speeds which could happen on the air flow coming the rear glass.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo
47 Posts
Aside from the rear wiper being an essential safety feature in my view, why would anyone want to dismantle half a car to put what is effectively a bung in a hole that you have created yourself 😳 Just saying 😉
Well, you're asking a question that was clearly answered in my post. Different strokes for different folks. Wait'll you see the system I'm replacing the front wipers with.

And if the rear wiper is so essential, why is it not standard or even optional equipment on all cars.

Over the years I've driven many commercial vehicles that lack even rear windows, so maybe it's not as big a deal to me as others.

And it's not just a bung - it's a bung with initials!

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Auto Machine Grey
51 Posts
Well, you're asking a question that was clearly answered in my post. Different strokes for different folks. Wait'll you see the system I'm replacing the front wipers with.

And if the rear wiper is so essential, why is it not standard or even optional equipment on all cars.

Over the years I've driven many commercial vehicles that lack even rear windows, so maybe it's not as big a deal to me as others.

And it's not just a bung - it's a bung with initials!
I can't remember the last time I saw a hatchback type design here in the UK without a rear wiper so maybe it is more common in Canada. Like many hatchback designs my CX30s rear window soon becomes opaque if there is much rain about and useless for vision. I would always prefer, road safety wise, to be able to see out of rear mirrors and the rear window where it is available to me. But we are all entitled, within the law, to do what we like best of course. I would certainly be interested to see the front wiper replacement you plan. Probably best in a new thread though as I have led us away from the original post here and will rightly get a smack from Admin if not careful :rolleyes:

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The video should help
Thanks, it does look simple. On my unit there is some kind of a plastic wedge just behind the arm hinge that I can't seem to budge. Well it's 11 degrees today, so I won't be fiddling with it until it warms up a bit, lol.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm confused about what is being attempted here. The posted extract of the manual for replacing the rear wiper blade doesn't seem to match the instructions given in the online CX-30 manual at https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-30/cx-30_8hq1ee19i/contents/07031102.html
Yes, my manual is quite different from that one online. I was able to find the correct manual by searching for '2020 CX-30 manual' instead of without the year. Perhaps for 2021 it's been changed.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
what an strange statement, it's because it's not needed on all cars, only hatchback models, as sedans don't need it. You would have problems trying to find any hatchback vehicle that didn't have a rear wiper as standard equipment.
It is all to do with the airflow around the back of vehicle, a trunk breaks that up and therefore not necessary and the glass is not at the back of the car. The airflow around the back of a hatch will vary depending on the angle of the glass and the style of air deflector. I used to own a hatchback that the deflector and window angle seemed just about perfect and used the rear wiper very little, the next hatchback I purchased the rear glass was almost vertical and got coated very quickly. The CX-30 appears to be reasonable good and it seems rare that I have to run the rear wiper in constant use.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo
47 Posts

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
152 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts