Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Select Machine Gray Metallic Mobil 1 0w20
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the manual, you want to get the car up to operating temperature, then turn the engine off and wait at least 5 minutes to check the oil level.

When I check mine in the morning, after the car has sat overnight, it's slightly below the top hole. When I check it the way the manual states, it hits the hole exactly.

I'm curious if others have noticed this as well?

·
Registered
2020 Preferred Snowflake AWD
205 Posts
I've read about this method as well. I'm not sure how the reaching operating temp then waiting at least 5 minutes method vs checking cold is any different. If anything, the cold level is usually slightly higher.

In any event, I changed the oil today. 4.8 qts fills it halfway up the dipstick. So I went ahead and added the addl 6 oz for a total of 5 qts, which didn't move the needle very much. Went with Mazda oil. Very straightforward oil change. Will swap it out again at 10k.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is weird. Hot level in this car is definitely higher. I think it's due to thermal expansion of the oil when hot.

I've read that in the 2.5L, it takes 5-5.2 qts to hit the top fill hole on the dipstick. Mazda may have recommended 4.8 due to the oil level rising a bit when hot, which is maybe why they recommend that method in the manual. I've always checked the oil level cold.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read about this method as well. I'm not sure how the reaching operating temp then waiting at least 5 minutes method vs checking cold is any different. If anything, the cold level is usually slightly higher.

In any event, I changed the oil today. 4.8 qts fills it halfway up the dipstick. So I went ahead and added the addl 6 oz for a total of 5 qts, which didn't move the needle very much. Went with Mazda oil. Very straightforward oil change. Will swap it out again at 10k.
Did the 5qts bring it to the top hole? I noticed the same. I put in 4.8 and its at the half way mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts