Just completed a chrome delete on my Soul Red
Car Wheel Vehicle Plant Tire

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Cosmetics Rectangle Tin Gadget Automotive lighting

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Plant

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Plant

2021 Turbo Premium. Turned out pretty good for under $180. Lower grille inserts on the way and will be adding tint to the front logo. Next up: new continental tires (and maybe wheels too), a Corksport exhaust and considering a timing chip to increase horsepower. (Can't get 93 octane in AZ) Zoom-Zoom! 😎

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
270 Posts
Much nicer looking, & helps incorporate that thicker cladding & plastic bumper in better with the overall design of the vehicle. It's also one of the reason why black/dark-gray wheels is pretty much mandatory on the CX-30 (IMO) in order to look right.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Soul Red Crystal Metallic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Soul Red Crystal Metallic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sure would be helpful if mentioned how you did it and where you got the stuff you used.
l did it all myself in my garage. Bought black satin 3M vinyl on ebay for the window sills, bought 2 cans of black matte Plasti-dip at ace hardware (much cheaper than Amazon) for the roof rails and rear badges, and bought the front bumper cover ($130) on Amazon. I watched videos on YouTube to learn how to do the work - took about 8 hours total.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Auto Machine Grey
64 Posts
Looks superb, well done that man (y) I do like my machine grey/chrome finish but I might have had a tough time deciding if that had been offered as a Mazda finish:unsure:

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's an amazing transformation - very impressive-looking. I'd be inclined to try Avery SW900 gloss black vinyl for $17 on the front grill chrome rather than the taped-on TGFOF plastic covers for $120. The front emblem is darkened with just 20% window tinting vinyl? What was used on the hatch badges/emblem? Is that just Plasti-Dip or something else?

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo Polymetal Gray
85 Posts
Finally my black plastic covers arrived. Very pleased with the look, the fit was great as well. I added extra double sided tape for peace of mind.
Thanks for the inspiration Bartman78 :)
That looks so sick. I want to do that but I dont know if a wrap shop would be cheaper... These plastic covers are relatively expensive now.

You should tint the front emblem 50% as a final touch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That looks so sick. I want to do that but I dont know if a wrap shop would be cheaper... These plastic covers are relatively expensive now.

You should tint the front emblem 50% as a final touch.
Thanks, I paid $125 for the plastics which wasn't too bad IMO. Yeah, I may black out both emblems and roof rails as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Those look good and they'll be more durable than vinyl along with being easier to install. On the other hand, a 12x60-inch roll of Avery Dennison SW900 Gloss Black is only $16 shipped. I've ordered that along with a 5x20-foot PPF roll to do the hood and front bumper. I have to think about whether or not it's worth the effort to just pull the front bumper and work with separated parts on a table vs doing vinyl on the car. Funny thing - once I've seen a car blown up into a bunch of cheap plastic bits, I can't UNSEE that and it changes my perception of the car. It loses some of the magic. It's a mental thing.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just ordered the PPF, tinting vinyl, and color vinyl to do my own chrome delete on my Soul Red Turbo. Nothing to do with chrome delete (brand new car), the only full-size PPF I could find on Amazon was ‘Hoho Film’. Perhaps not as good as XPEL or STEK DYNOShield but the price and reviews look good. I want to cover the entire hood in one piece of PPF to avoid having a line

Avery Dennison SW900 (Gloss Black) is great to work with so I’m using that to cover the grill trim, window trim and, roof rails.

For the grill emblem, headlights and taillights, “VViViD+ Ultimate Headlight Taillight Tint Vinyl Wrap (Light Smoke)”, which only came out a few months ago, appears to a huge leap forward in tinting wrap. The results shown on YouTube are stunning:

I did find black CX-30 roof rails on eBay for $199 shipped from China (see their photo) but I’ll try $16 Avery vinyl first.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Electronic device

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD Premium Soul Reaper Red
14 Posts
Man, it looks SOOO good! I just got my 30 over the weekend and I'm dying to do this stuff to it. Had you ever done vinyl work before doing the window sills? If not, how tricky was it and do you have any pointers? Also, what did you use to do the front emblem? Did it affect any of the driver assist sensors in the emblem? Hoping I can get mine looking as clean as yours!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Had you ever done vinyl work before doing the window sills? If not, how tricky was it and do you have any pointers? Also, what did you use to do the front emblem? Did it affect any of the driver assist sensors in the emblem?
I was in love with these photos and set out to get my brand-new CX-30 Turbo Premium (Soul Crystal Red) similarly blacked out.

Avery Dennison SW900 (gloss black, obviously) is one of the easiest and most forgiving vinyl wraps to work with. The chrome door trim should be easy to do, especially if you use knifeless tape. Doing that soon.

Today, I wrapped the roof rails and they look amazing. WAY cooler-looking than the factory polished aluminum. The cross-section of the rails is fairly complex though. I had to use various vinyl application tools and a heat gun to get a smooth finish with no air bubbles in the recessed channels. A single 12” x 60” roll cut into two 6” strips does both rails.

The chrome grill trim pieces might be tricky to wrap but I’m going to remove the whole front bumper to do that plus apply paint protection film (the whole front half of the car) along with tinting the headlights all at the same time

Just this February, Vvivid came out with their new “VViViD+ Ultimate Headlight Taillight Tint Vinyl Wrap (Light Smoke)" which appears to be a stellar product ($30 for the basic kit). Very stretchable and forgiving plus super high-gloss. I’ll use that on the front emblem also.

Vvivid’s older Tec R gloss carbon fiber wrap was previously part of their XPO line and it had a clear layer applied over regular faux carbon fiber. All such vinyls are prone to delaminating and will look like crap in less than a year. Fortunately, new for 2022, Vvivid reformulated their Tec R gloss carbon fiber with a solidly fused clearcoat which solves the delaminating problem. The new version is part of their “Vvivid+ Plus” premium line now and costs more but it’s worth it ($40 shipped for a 24” x 60” roll). I’m doing the rear spoiler and the two surrounding trim pieces in this vinyl because the black plastic there looks exactly like what it is - cheap black plastic.

The rear emblem and badges I’ll spray in Hyperdip (smoother and glossier than Plastidip but more expensive).

Additionally, I’m doing my brake calipers in bright yellow. I don’t understand why people try to paint brakes on the car - it’s just four bolts! With the caliper carriers free and the caliper bodies semi-detached, it’s much easier to do a thorough spray job. Being kind of a perfectionist, I’m taking the time to Dremel the rough sand-castings smooth (and to fill in the numbers and “MADE IN MEXICO” on each caliper with high-temp JB Weld). That takes many hours though so I’m chipping away at it a couple of hours at a time.

I’ve only had my car for three days so this all will take a minute to get done.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts