Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
2021 CX-30 Turbo Black on Black
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that a lot of CX 30s that are in Europe/UK have a CD player with a USB port right next to it in the dashboard. I have a Mexico made CX 30 and live in New York. I have noticed that there is a filler panel in the spot where the CD player would reside.

my question is, is it possible to put a CD player in the vehicle? Secondly do the cars that are made in the other countries that have the CD player with the USB port on the dashboard don’t have the USB port in the console?

Do other countries use compact discs more than the United States does and that’s why Mazda didn’t feel the need to put the player in the car? Market preference etc.?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,191 Posts
why would you want to go to all the trouble and expense of putting a CD player in a car these days? It's gone the way of the cassette player.

I owned a Kia Soul before my Mazda and they stopped installing a CD player back in 2014. Many other manufacturers have generally got rid of the CD player when that model was due for a major refresh. I doubt you would find a CD player on any mainstream vehicle sold in North America today.

I had a 2012 Kia Soul with a CD player and a USB port, once I got use to the flash drive I never used the CD player anymore there was no point to it. There is no advantage of a CD player over a USB flash drive which is safer and easier to use and takes up no space, cheap to buy and can be used over and over again and can hold thousands of tracks far more than what would take up all that space in your cargo area if it was holding CD's.

Reactions: Chu

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
152 Posts
There is no advantage of a CD player over a USB flash drive which is safer and easier to use and takes up no space, cheap to buy and can be used over and over again and can hold thousands of tracks far more than what would take up all that space in your cargo area if it was holding CD's.
Hmm, here I was thinking that it was just us millennials who thought that way!

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 e-SKYACTIVE X MHEV GT Sport Tech Soul Red Crystal 2WD Manual
152 Posts
I have noticed that a lot of CX 30s that are in Europe/UK have a CD player with a USB port right next to it in the dashboard. I have a Mexico made CX 30 and live in New York. I have noticed that there is a filler panel in the spot where the CD player would reside.

my question is, is it possible to put a CD player in the vehicle? Secondly do the cars that are made in the other countries that have the CD player with the USB port on the dashboard don’t have the USB port in the console?

Do other countries use compact discs more than the United States does and that’s why Mazda didn’t feel the need to put the player in the car? Market preference etc.?

Thanks for the input!
In the 2021 generation of CX-30 at least in the UK Mazda removed CD player from all 5 trim levels. However, they did have a single CD player on the 2019-2020 generations and the Anniversary edition. It seems that your US car is also 2021 generation, so from the point of view of lacking a CD player, it is not different from the recent UK ones. I have a 2021 UK top trim level and it doesn't have a CD player.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
117 Posts
Here in Thailand no cd-dvd player either. Although we have space for it and you can install CD or DVD player no problem. Though need some electrical and cable work

·
Registered
1 Posts
why would you want to go to all the trouble and expense of putting a CD player in a car these days? It's gone the way of the cassette player.

I owned a Kia Soul before my Mazda and they stopped installing a CD player back in 2014. Many other manufacturers have generally got rid of the CD player when that model was due for a major refresh. I doubt you would find a CD player on any mainstream vehicle sold in North America today.

I had a 2012 Kia Soul with a CD player and a USB port, once I got use to the flash drive I never used the CD player anymore there was no point to it. There is no advantage of a CD player over a USB flash drive which is safer and easier to use and takes up no space, cheap to buy and can be used over and over again and can hold thousands of tracks far more than what would take up all that space in your cargo area if it was holding CD's.
Unless you actually care about sound quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input!
I had same question, I ended getting it installed by my self and it works fantastic! on a Mazda 3 2020

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd like to find a way to make use of that open space, in a professional non janky way. A wireless charger or something similar.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5 S PR AWD
17 Posts
Alternative --

Check the owner's manual, the infotainment system may support reading OGG or FLAC format audio files from a USB stick. That will satisfy any concerns about lossy compression from MP3s or such. Plus, you can have a multiple CDs worth of audio ripped to 1 USB stick if you so choose. Best of both worlds! Possible caveat, the player may not support gapless playback. I haven't tried this yet, but that would suck for some albums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unless you actually care about sound quality.
Mazda's system plays FLAC files in addition to MP3 from USB. FLAC is lossless, 100% exactly the same quality as the original CD. Uncompressed WAV works too but there's no benefit over FLAC, just doubles the file size.

Supported file types:
  • Audio files: MP3, WMA, AAC, MP4, 3GPP, WAV, FLAC, OGG.
  • Video files: MP4, AVI, ASF.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts