Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, has any experienced any creaking from the rear of your CX-30? Today when I drove into my driveway which has a small edge as you enter, I heard creaking from the rear as I went up and down over the edge.
The creaking was very similar to what a wooden floor or a door would sound like when creaking.
So I decided to look at the rear, opened up the trunk and as I was closing it I noticed that the hinges of the hatch were also creaking. That's when I also noticed a much bigger gap between the body of the car and the left tail light compared to the right. When I pushed on the left tail light I noticed it also made a small creaking sound like what plastic souls usually make, but the right side did not make any sounds.
Perhaps it's all connected I don't know but it was the first time I heard it today.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Easily recreated this over and over again and it seems to be the suspension...:cautious:

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
725 Posts
Easily recreated this over and over again and it seems to be the suspension...:cautious:
Time to take this up with your dealer. Looks like you're going to be having a long conversation with him. I do hope you get all these resolved.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I definitely will be good again for this and for the acceleration vibration again.
Too many little things add up

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Auto Machine Grey
33 Posts
I believe some of the rear panels are made from a type of plastic. If you push one or two of mine you can get a creaking sound where, presumably, the panels may touch. Can't hear it at all inside the car and only noticed it when I put a hand against one of the rear panels. Perhaps some dealer adjustment is what is needed?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe some of the rear panels are made from a type of plastic. If you push one or two of mine you can get a creaking sound where, presumably, the panels may touch. Can't hear it at all inside the car and only noticed it when I put a hand against one of the rear panels. Perhaps some dealer adjustment is what is needed?
Hi Geoff,

It does seem to be very isolated so I think you might be right. It seems to be coming only from the back at super slow speed going over bumps and I have a feeling that it's those plastic pieces moving around. The sound is exactly the same whether I am just pushing on the plastic, closing the trunk lid or driving slowly over a bump. It's just different ways to activate the sound.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going to dealership to have this checked out on Monday, as well as the acceleration roughness I have been talking about

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 SELECT
2 Posts
Going to dealership to have this checked out on Monday, as well as the acceleration roughness I have been talking about
What did you find out? I seem to have the EXACT same issue . . . a creaking in and around the driver-side tail light.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
725 Posts
What did you find out? I seem to have the EXACT same issue . . . a creaking in and around the driver-side tail light.
Welcome to CX30talk.com. You can help us answer your query if you update your profile and post an introduction. It's all explained here. I have sent you in a private message explaining this too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Newmarket. I had to change my appointment to next Wednesday, so I haven't gone yet unfortunately. I will keep you all updated once I find out.
Sorry to hear you have it too, I hope it's just something that needs to be oiled up...

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 SELECT
2 Posts
Hi Newmarket. I had to change my appointment to next Wednesday, so I haven't gone yet unfortunately. I will keep you all updated once I find out.
Sorry to hear you have it too, I hope it's just something that needs to be oiled up...
While I'm certainly no expert, it seems the problem is caused by the plastic light assembly flexing when torqued . . . which happens when entering/exiting a driveway, lifting the tailgate, or physically pushing on that area. There's room for movement the way that tail light fits against the metal, and none on the other side.

My wife thinks I should just get over it, as we've leased the vehicle . . . and, ultimately, it's not our problem. But three years of listening to that creaking might drive me crazy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I'm certainly no expert, it seems the problem is caused by the plastic light assembly flexing when torqued . . . which happens when entering/exiting a driveway, lifting the tailgate, or physically pushing on that area. There's room for movement the way that tail light fits against the metal, and none on the other side.

My wife thinks I should just get over it, as we've leased the vehicle . . . and, ultimately, it's not our problem. But three years of listening to that creaking might drive me crazy.
Yeah, you described the problem exactly as I have it. If it's just the light not sitting in properly into the housing, then they should be able to fix that easily. I hope you are correct and that it's not something else, otherwise like you said we both would be hearing creaking from other places too

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

So I learned two things today from the dealership.

1. I showed them the creaking from the rear, they heard it and acknowledged that it is present, however as they don't think it's something that affects the safety or performance of the car and since they do not have a solution for it, I was told that they can not do anything about it currently. The maintenance manager told me that Mazda had intentionally built n the creaking into the car, I could not believe he said that. I asked him if he believes that if I opened up the hatch of all the other 30s in the lot if they will creak too and said, "I don't know". Well obviously no one knows, but to say it's built into the car...come on.

2. Second time going for vibration issues and weird sensation from acceleration at 5th gear. The first time the tires were off balance, so they fixed it. This time I am being told that there is nothing wrong. I demanded that I drive it with the mechanic, which I did and he agrees that there is something, but he said it was within reason, therefore nothing that should be done to the car to fix it. In other words no current fixes for a car that vibrates, lol.

In my opinion, I think with the CX-30, I traded more fun for less comfort and refineness.
I think the reason why some of us might have issues and some don't is based on where we live. I think the car is very sensitive and therefore different roads affected it differently, even when driven exactly the same way. At least in my case, the car seems to pick up small imperfections in the road, so some roads make it vibrate and feel harsh, and others don't.

I will try to get a second opinion at a different dealership when I can.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda cx30 machine grey premium fwd
8 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. I have the same issue, stopped by the dealer last week, drove with a mechanic and confirmed the noise. The mechanic said he will need to contact Mazda Corp. Going to drop off the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to hear that man. I have the same issue, stopped by the dealer last week, drove with a mechanic and confirmed the noise. The mechanic said he will need to contact Mazda Corp. Going to drop off the car tomorrow.
Are you referring to the creaking noise? If so let me know what they say and if find a way to fix it. I think Mazda corp will have to come up with a solution that dealerships can use, that what they can't make up any excuses.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda cx30 machine grey premium fwd
8 Posts
The Car’s been at the dealer for a week now. Got a call from the service advisor this morning saying the creak is coming from behind the quarter panel which they can’t fix. The car is now being sent to a certified body shop to get looked at. Won’t get it back for another 3 weeks or a month. At least I have a loaner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Car’s been at the dealer for a week now. Got a call from the service advisor this morning saying the creak is coming from behind the quarter panel which they can’t fix. The car is now being sent to a certified body shop to get looked at. Won’t get it back for another 3 weeks or a month. At least I have a loaner.
Yup. Seems to be the same answer I got. They can't fix it. That's a shame. For a dealership not to be able to fix the very car they sell to us is not acceptable.
I am glad that someone at least is looking into it. Keep us posted. I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
3 Posts
I have this driver-creaking-issue too in my alley/driveway and other slow/bumpy maneuvers. It triggers my OCD, but it doesn't "sound" like any sort of malfunction or safety issue, and definitely not worth weeks of diagnostics to sort out. Interested to hear what happens...

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Base
16 Posts
Having an issue with this also and I think it really is baked in to the design. All vehicles have some flex, the easiest way to reduce it is more bracing which leads to more weight. Any manufacturer has to decide how rigid is rigid enough for what the vehicle is intended for. The downside of the CX-30's light chassis is the occasional creak, the upside is good gas mileage, a comfortable ride, and crisp handling.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Having an issue with this also and I think it really is baked in to the design. All vehicles have some flex, the easiest way to reduce it is more bracing which leads to more weight. Any manufacturer has to decide how rigid is rigid enough for what the vehicle is intended for. The downside of the CX-30's light chassis is the occasional creak, the upside is good gas mileage, a comfortable ride, and crisp handling.
Thanks q good point. As long as it is not something that will cause issues down the road I am ok, but it is still annoying.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts