Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal CX-30 AWD 2.5L Turbo Premium+
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the CX-30 Turbo, purchased Jan. 2021. Has anyone else noticed that the shift points sometimes ain't quite right? My car sometimes seems to stay in certain gears too long or short and the shifts effect a balky sort of way that doesn't seem to synch correctly with the engine rev speed. I came to Mazda after owning Audi turbos for many years and the transmission behaviors on my prior A3 & A4 were a dream compared to what I'm currently experiencing. Any word of a corrective software update for the Mazda transmission?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the CX-30 Turbo, purchased Jan. 2021. Has anyone else noticed that the shift points sometimes ain't quite right? My car sometimes seems to stay in certain gears too long or short and the shifts effect a balky sort of way that doesn't seem to synch correctly with the engine rev speed. I came to Mazda after owning Audi turbos for many years and the transmission behaviors on my prior A3 & A4 were a dream compared to what I'm currently experiencing. Any word of a corrective software update for the Mazda transmission?
[/QUOTiE]
I’ve noticed mine doing similar things and I have a 2022. It shifts smooth but sometimes stumbles. I feel like it doesn’t always pick the best gear for the situation. Maybe it’s my driving style. My cars very new and maybe the ecu is learning my driving behavior still. I’d also be curious if Mazda has a update for the transmission.

·
Registered
2020 CX30 Premium
24 Posts
In my opinion, this transmission is poorly programed. It's slow to downshift and is usually in too high of a gear. Example... driving at 35mph and its in 6th gear. They say its for better fuel economy. This is the 1st automatic transmission that I've had and I'm not impressed. Mazda seems to take pride in not having a CVT but, I don't see what they have to be proud of with these transmissions that they are producing.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,364 Posts
In my opinion, this transmission is poorly programed. It's slow to downshift and is usually in too high of a gear. Example... driving at 35mph and its in 6th gear. They say its for better fuel economy. This is the 1st automatic transmission that I've had and I'm not impressed. Mazda seems to take pride in not having a CVT but, I don't see what they have to be proud of with these transmissions that they are producing.
...........then you have nothing to compare it too. If you don't like the way it shifts automatically then use the manual mode or sports mode.

I think the 6-spd auto works fantastic and is smooth and shifts beautifully. I've been driving auto's for 30 years and also about 30 years driving manuals, so can speak from experience.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
171 Posts
My first automatic here after almost 40 years of driving, but the normal mode seems optimized for fuel efficiency & keeping the RPMs as low as possible more than anything else - which is fine really for everyday errand/commute driving if you don't fancy yourself a street-racer. Normal mode can affect the "driver experience" a bit though if your aim is a more "sporty" driving experience. So, shift to sports-mode for that & it behaves more accordingly, staying in gears longer & pushing the RPM's higher between shifts. My only complaint in that regard is that it resets to normal mode every time you turn off the vehicle, when it really should remember your personal settings/preferences. Honestly though, if you want a "real driving experience" then find a good manual vehicle - no automatic can come close to that.

Reactions: camatz01

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...........then you have nothing to compare it too. If you don't like the way it shifts automatically then use the manual mode or sports mode.

I think the 6-spd auto works fantastic and is smooth and shifts beautifully. I've been driving auto's for 30 years and also about 30 years driving manuals, so can speak from experience.
I, personally, do have something to compare with - Many years (~30) driving Audis & BMWs with excellent extremely smooth shifting auto trans vehicles and I my assesssment is still the Mazda's trans isn't quite right. The Audi's dual-clutch unit was the best.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,364 Posts
I, personally, do have something to compare with - Many years (~30) driving Audis & BMWs with excellent extremely smooth shifting auto trans vehicles and I my assesssment is still the Mazda's trans isn't quite right. The Audi's dual-clutch unit was the best.
sorry, but if you read my reply it was not directed at you, it was at in response to tdog18's comment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry, but if you read my reply it was not directed at you, it was at in response to tdog18's comment.
I know your comment was for someone else but my comment was directed to all, offering info from my different experience based on owning quite a number of automobiles, mostly higher end European models. Over the past about 50 years, I've owned Volvo, VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW & finally, most recently, Mazda. Not all of my EU models had an auto trans but, my predominate experience with those that did have an auto trans was very favorable.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a 2015 Mazda 3 with 211,000 miles on it, a 2016 CX-5 with 134,000 miles, and a 2022 CX-30 with 120 miles on it. All three have the 6 speed automatic. I use the manual shift mode or the sport mode a lot to offset what I do not like about the programming. But given the fact that I have had zero transmission problems with the 3 or the CX-5 after racking up so many miles, I fee that Mazda is doing something right with their transmissions. CVT's are not know to have long term reliability, nor are many other automaker's trannys. Are you listening GM?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
163 Posts
I have a 2015 Mazda 3 with 211,000 miles on it, a 2016 CX-5 with 134,000 miles, and a 2022 CX-30 with 120 miles on it. All three have the 6 speed automatic. I use the manual shift mode or the sport mode a lot to offset what I do not like about the programming. But given the fact that I have had zero transmission problems with the 3 or the CX-5 after racking up so many miles, I fee that Mazda is doing something right with their transmissions. CVT's are not know to have long term reliability, nor are many other automaker's trannys. Are you listening GM?
I have sold Toyota's, Mazdas, and BMW's.... These are definitely fantastic and reliable transmissions. Do you mind if I ask what kind of maintenance if any you have done over that mileage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts