Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT Sport Tech MHEV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In January 2020 I became the proud owner (note the past tense) of a CX-30 GT Sport Tech-MHEV (manual). I am retired and due to my domestic circumstances I don't use the car a lot and in May this year the car has only covered just over 3000 miles. I had been pleased with it (not so impressed with the dealership !). Smooth ride, 40 mpg out of a 2 litre engine and the mild hybrid technology enables early upshifts of gears, so overall a relaxing drive.

a.m. Monday 10th. May 2021 : Car started ok but engine not running smoothly and message on instrumentation (together with engine management light) to get car checked. Tried driving car around the block in case it was just a temporary fuel blockage, but the car wouldn't accelerate properly. Contacted my local Mazda garage who advised the first step was for me to contact Mazda Assist, which I did. After a lengthy wait the breakdown technician arrived. Long story short : Diagnostic interrogation of the car showed numerous spurious values for various functions. Just two examples: lap-top readout indicated my 12 volt battery was outputting 38 volts, and the catalytic converter's temperature was 2000 degrees (I asked what temperature was normal and I was told about 700 degrees). These tests were carried out at my home address and, as the car had started to function normally by the time I reached home (although the management light and 'check' message were still displayed) I was told it was safe for me to drive to my Dealership (approx 8 miles distant). Diagnosis was the main computer command module was scrambling the messages it was receiving from the numerous satellite control modules in the car's system (my wording for something I know 0 about !)

11/5/21: Drove the car to my Dealership with no apparent misbehaviour (warning message still displayed on instrumentation).

Over the following few days the dealership, being led by Mazda UK, carried out a number of diagnostic checks. As I'm led to believe, when the data from each test was fed to Mazda UK and didn't lead to a specific diagnosis, yet more tests were provided but these also proved inconclusive.

Late p.m. Monday 17/5/21 (Now a week after the fault arose !): No update from Dealership so I phoned them. Bottom line of information provided to me : Mazda UK had advised that the main command module needed to be replaced (effectively what the breakdown technician had diagnosed in about 15 minutes of his checks, and me with my mecahanical knowledge could see was the likely cure for the problem). Problem : No replacement command module immediately available. Dealership advised me that it was likely to be the end of the week before more positive news available !

Late p.m. Wednesday 19/5/21 : I received an update phone call from the dealership by the After Sales Manager, who offered his apologies on behalf of Mazda, but the earliest ESTIMATED date for some sort of further news was 28/6/21 (the ASM stressing this was only an estimate, not a promise !!!).

I am a cautious person by nature (albeit I am silly enough to still be riding a motorcycle for pleasure !) and I am not willingly an 'early adopter' for new technology, however, having seen on a television programme how stringently motor manufactures, such as Kia, test their prototype vehicles, and based on the motoring press worship of the Mazda brand, I felt safe in my decision to buy the CX-30 with the new technology engine. How I now regret that decision ! Coming from a mechanical and practical working background I appreciate that any mechanical or electronic contrivance can fail, but my measure of a supplier is how promptly and efficiently any problem is sorted out. In my eyes Mazda have failed me dismally.
Let potential buyers beware !

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
That's not a good sign, either from Mazda or from the Dealer. First question (for such a wait) is if you've been provided with a courtesy car at all to tide you over until the replacement arrives?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT Sport Tech MHEV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have been provided with a courtesy car (Mazda UK funded, although not the collision damage waiver insurance). It's not one I would wish to own. It's from a local hire-car company and the car has low profile tyres and hard suspension so a rough ride, not at all like my CX-30 (it also has a quite amazing three cylinder 1000cc petrol engine). Definitely not one I relish driving for approx a month and a half, might have to have my fillings replaced. It also has the most vicious brakes I've ever had the misfortune to operate ! It also hasn't got a dashcam (with front and rear camera) that my car has. I had it fitted after a County Court struggle with a driver who drove into my car (not a Mazda at that time) on a roundabout a couple of years ago. Third party then alleged I was to blame. It took a lot of paperwork on my part + dealing with junior, unaware and totally inneficient young case preparation trainees in the legal company my insurance company employed to fight the case (found in my favour). I swore I would never find myself in such a predicament again.I had to spend literally hours on the paperwork relating to the case preparation. I currently don't have the added safetynet of the dashcam!

(Savcom/Martin, Not being much into IT I am a bit confused about your e-mail asking I complete some additional personal information on my profile. When I click on the link I'm presented with a link to Google and Facebook, neither of which I use. On trying the Google link, I'm asked for a password and it doesn't like what I input, although it matches what I have recorded from some years ago when I had to have a Google account for some other functions).

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
(Savcom/Martin, Not being much into IT I am a bit confused about your e-mail asking I complete some additional personal information on my profile. When I click on the link I'm presented with a link to Google and Facebook, neither of which I use. On trying the Google link, I'm asked for a password and it doesn't like what I input, although it matches what I have recorded from some years ago when I had to have a Google account for some other functions).
OK thanks for the feedback. Neither Facebook nor Google are needed to complete what is required, so I'll try and put together a step-by-step guide for members. Perhaps you can trial this for me when it's ready.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.