Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I haven't test driven CX-30 cause there's shortage of it in Edmonton Alberta.

How would it compare nvh wise to class rivals and even luxury cars? Test drove 2020 3 Hatchback on 18 alloys and performance rubber. Ride felt amooth and comfortable over bumps even speed bumps. Car was real quiet. Came out of a 2022 Lexus ES gas and hybrid. Felt almost as quiet as the hybrid even without acoustic glass and noise reduction 18 wheels.
Ride quality on the ES didn't feel smooth to me andI felt the 3 was just as good for so much less.

Since CX30 is a 3 on stilts does it have the same good nvh? I read somewhere here that the CX30 is as quiet as someone's 2019 ES Takumi with acoustic glass and noise reduction 18s.😋

Feels like I'm the minority butI don't know why people buy Lexus when you can get great nvh at a low price minus other small features...😬

·
Registered
2022 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD (Polymetal Gray)
61 Posts
I would say the NVH is very comparable to the Mazda3. It’s a very quiet and comfortable interior and handles road irregularities very well.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say the NVH is very comparable to the Mazda3. It’s a very quiet and comfortable interior and handles road irregularities very well.
Nice! I wasn't too impressed with the Lexus ES and customer service. Sales and employees were too fake feeling. I felt like the ES was a nicer camry or avalon tbh.

Mazda is killing it nvh wise. My 14 3 is awful with bumpy ride and loud at 70 km. 20 hatch felt smooth and quiet as good as Lexus but not soft. You could feel bumps but it's not jarring. I hit something on my way to the dealer and it shook the ES like it was a cheaper car. I'm shocked to say it's flawed in some ways but handles nicely. No body roll like the 21 Impreza I drove
🤔

Lexus es 2022 felt smooth and not too jarring but I you could feel bumps and pebbles still. All this despite being a $60000 + luxury car. Es350 wind noise I could hear it. Mazda3 is so quiet maybe engine is a bit louder and not as refined.

I can get Mazda3 new for $27k or a CX30 for $29k. I'm impressed 😋🥺

Any opinions on rivals and Lexus?

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
813 Posts
I don't thing NVH is used much here (UK) when describing a car's performance, but, when choosing the CX-30 I found the CX-30 was quieter and more refined than the BMW X1 I was comparing it with - and better than the Audi Q3 for ride quality. I didn't get a chance to test it against the Mercedes GLA - and didn't test against Honda, Kia or Lexus.

Reactions: @1CX30Whiter

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,436 Posts
I compared the NVH to a Seltos on a back to back drive when I was shopping and it was like a night and day difference. 😄

Reactions: @1CX30Whiter

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't thing NVH is used much here (UK) when describing a car's performance, but, when choosing the CX-30 I found the CX-30 was quieter and more refined than the BMW X1 I was comparing it with - and better than the Audi Q3 for ride quality. I didn't get a chance to test it against the Mercedes GLA - and didn't test against Honda, Kia or Lexus.
Can't wait to get my hands on one. It's bargain luxury. Uz, x1, gla etc are just poser cars pretending u got the brand name.

I heard u need to step up to an E class or midsize car to experience the brands. 🙂 solidity and nothing but the best... 😬

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I compared the NVH to a Seltos on a back to back drive when I was shopping and it was like a night and day difference. 😄
Nasty. Those seltos are boxy and roomy but it's bargain cheap for a reason. I heard newer Hyundai KIA cut cost and don't have immobilizer. So u can steal cars with a USB... 🙄

Genesis looks solid albeit dealership network.

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT Sonic Silver & 22 3 Sport Soul Red
116 Posts
Nasty. Those seltos are boxy and roomy but it's bargain cheap for a reason. I heard newer Hyundai KIA cut cost and don't have immobilizer. So u can steal cars with a USB... 🙄

I had contemplated for quite awhile about Genesis, beautiful autos. Their dealer repair network is Hyundai, which in this neck of the woods is close to the same as Mazdas amount of dealers. Deciding factor for me was $$$. I have never been one to own a vehicle solely for the purpose of its badge identity. I will say though, Lexus has a stellar reputation for building reliable long lasting vehicles. But again $$$.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had contemplated for quite awhile about Genesis, beautiful autos. Their dealer repair network is Hyundai, which in this neck of the woods is close to the same as Mazdas amount of dealers. Deciding factor for me was $$$. I have never been one to own a vehicle solely for the purpose of its badge identity. I will say though, Lexus has a stellar reputation for building reliable long lasting vehicles. But again $$$.
Yeah too bad. My experience with Lexus was ok not stellar. Just 1 experience though however they didn't have that many amenities for a VIP service they claim to have. No sandwich station or free food. Just a hot beverages machine and light snacks like chips and granola bars. I was expecting Starbucks and yummy ayce pastries and food.

Lexus is sort of behind the germans like bmw and mercedes. It's laughable and reliability is their only standout but with the Tundra turbo issues and IS500 CEL issues I don't think it's true anymore.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

I doubt that as that is compulsory on all vehicles sold in Canada.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
261 Posts
I also test drove the 3 when I bought my car and agree that the NVH is similar. They drive similarly too with the CX-30 being a bit more comfortable ride but with a bit more body roll (because it's taller).

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also test drove the 3 when I bought my car and agree that the NVH is similar. They drive similarly too with the CX-30 being a bit more comfortable ride but with a bit more body roll (because it's taller).
The only cars I drove with virtually no body roll was the 22 es and 21 Impreza.

I drove a 19 cx5 and it had big body roll. Our 14 has the body roll but not as much.

I didn't focus on the 19 3 hatch. But I noticed Mazda's tend to have body roll? Is this for the fun factors?

What's so dumb is you have auto journalists and magazines who give you professional opinions on what they drive or do as a living. But it's not what u expect if you go do it yourself. ES was not the plush ride I was expecting as Consumer Reports said it was. Also they said Impreza was comfortable riding but I thought it was loud and stiff. Same with mk7.5 Golf. They said cx30 rides stiff too...

I believe you. Cx30 might ride best in class and is the quietest by a long shot. Not going to trust CR on that. Probably as smooth and quiet as luxury brands.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They said cx30 rides stiff too...
I’ve seen that in reviews too but what does “stiff” even mean? Spring-rates? Compression or rebound dampening? Torsion bar configuration? Hard elastomer bushings?

I wanted a comfortable, good-handling car WITHOUT high-rate springs, excessive suspension dampening, ultra-rigid torsion bars, or harsh-feeeling bushings. The CX-30 is wonderfuly comfortable and without it being a boat or a wallowing pig like so many Detroit autos are infamous for.

The OE Bridgestone Turanza EL440 tires are very soft and squishy (from the sidewalls) which helps the ‘ride’ at the expense of ‘feel’. Better tires can negatively affect ride (small bump compliance) but air-pressures can tuned (eg; lowered slightly) to balance ride vs feel without unloading the contact patch centers.

·
Registered
2021 mazda cx-30 2.5 S
43 Posts
The cx-30 is a fun little crossover i would not consider it a luxury car. It does have some minor creaks and rattles and brakes can be creaky sometimes. I find the ride pretty good i actually wanted something a bit more sporty but was practical to drive in the winter. The suspension is definitely stiffer then my moms corolla which i like because the corolla is too soft for me. Another thing is im not sure why mazda used a semi-independent suspension instead of a fully independent suspension in the rear. You can definitely notice the rear suspension can become unhappy when going over multiple potholes or deep snow but otherwise it's pretty good.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The cx-30 is a fun little crossover i would not consider it a luxury car. It does have some minor creaks and rattles and brakes can be creaky sometimes. I find the ride pretty good i actually wanted something a bit more sporty but was practical to drive in the winter. The suspension is definitely stiffer then my moms corolla which i like because the corolla is too soft for me. Another thing is im not sure why mazda used a semi-independent suspension instead of a fully independent suspension in the rear. You can definitely notice the rear suspension can become unhappy when going over multiple potholes or deep snow but otherwise it's pretty good.
in the rear it's a torsion beam.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve seen that in reviews too but what does “stiff” even mean? Spring-rates? Compression or rebound dampening? Torsion bar configuration? Hard elastomer bushings?

I wanted a comfortable, good-handling car WITHOUT high-rate springs, excessive suspension dampening, ultra-rigid torsion bars, or harsh-feeeling bushings. The CX-30 is wonderfuly comfortable and without it being a boat or a wallowing pig like so many Detroit autos are infamous for.

The OE Bridgestone Turanza EL440 tires are very soft and squishy (from the sidewalls) which helps the ‘ride’ at the expense of ‘feel’. Better tires can negatively affect ride (small bump compliance) but air-pressures can tuned (eg; lowered slightly) to balance ride vs feel without unloading the contact patch centers.
Yeah this may be an unpopular opinion but I don't like road feel at all. It makes me get anxious. I want a cloud ride like the old American cars had or the old Toyota Avalon and Lexus from 90s...

Cx30 should be my next car buy I've watched TheTopher and he compared it to the Crosstrek. He noted Crosstrek is better riding but how? I would assume the Impreza Sedan I drove is the same but it's hatch form and raised?

So naturally the Crosstrek would ride harsher the the cx30? I'm looking for lack of road feel and gliding over bumps. Nvh too matters which I heard cx30 does better than crosstrek.

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT Sonic Silver & 22 3 Sport Soul Red
116 Posts
Yeah this may be an unpopular opinion but I don't like road feel at all. It makes me get anxious. I want a cloud ride like the old American cars had or the old Toyota Avalon and Lexus from 90s...

Cx30 should be my next car buy I've watched TheTopher and he compared it to the Crosstrek. He noted Crosstrek is better riding but how? I would assume the Impreza Sedan I drove is the same but it's hatch form and raised?

So naturally the Crosstrek would ride harsher the the cx30? I'm looking for lack of road feel and gliding over bumps. Nvh too matters which I heard cx30 does better than crosstrek.
Have you considered Rolls Royce? I have heard they have a nice ride.😎

1 - 20 of 32 Posts