Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 CX-30 GT DCBlue w/Gyeon Syncro Ceramic Coat + PPF
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Installed the Curt hitch onto my CX-30 GT and when the bikes are on the rack, the car will slam on the brakes in reverse, even with the parking sensors disabled and the button to disable safety features pressed... the issue seems to be the Smart Brake Support - Rear that can only be temporarily disabled by going through the menus, it becomes enabled every time the vehicle is restarted or the safety button is pressed. What an absolute pain! Seeing as Mazda is offering their own hitch for the CX-30 now there must be some update that can remedy this otherwise everyone who gets the OEM hitch with a GT model will have it slam on the brakes in reverse when something is attached to the hitch.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
824 Posts
Reactions: DezM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are updates to the Mazda safety features regarding the towing hitch insofar as they disable certain safety features when towing hitch is fitted.

Do check what applies in Canada though as I understand different towing restrictions apply in your country.
Mazda now offers an OEM hitch, so they should be able to put this software change in for owners who add the hitch... I will call on Monday and see. In my manual, SBS-R is not disabled when the safety feature button is pressed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been exploring the fitting of a cycle carrier and expanding on @savcom 's post and from his link:
  • When towing a trailer, do not use the following safety systems (If a Mazda genuine trailer hitch is used, these systems are automatically turned off):
    • Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
    • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
    • Smart Brake Support [Rear] (SBS-R)
    • Smart Brake Support [Rear Crossing] (SBS-RC)
    • Parking Sensor System (Rear)
My understanding is that the tow bar electrics have to include a "black box" in addition to any coding of the Mazda's software ( not certain if any is needed ). For example the electrics for the 3 and cx-30 at MZ16707U states no coding needed but doesn't mention things like cross traffic alert:
Rear fog light cut offWith rear fog light cut off
C2 indicator controlWith C2 indicator - Audible Buzzer
PDC cut offFactory fitted OE PDC cut off
Installation time (est.)30-45
LED Lighting CompatibilityTrailer/Caravan LED lighting compatible (40mA minimum Draw Per lighting Circuit)
CodingNo coding required

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
111 Posts
Hi,

Installed the Curt hitch onto my CX-30 GT and when the bikes are on the rack, the car will slam on the brakes in reverse, even with the parking sensors disabled and the button to disable safety features pressed... the issue seems to be the Smart Brake Support - Rear that can only be temporarily disabled by going through the menus, it becomes enabled every time the vehicle is restarted or the safety button is pressed. What an absolute pain! Seeing as Mazda is offering their own hitch for the CX-30 now there must be some update that can remedy this otherwise everyone who gets the OEM hitch with a GT model will have it slam on the brakes in reverse when something is attached to the hitch.

Any thoughts?
Where is this "safety button" ? Is safety button park of the OEM trailer hitch install ? Do you disable safety options from center console display perhaps ?
I intermitantly use a bike rack so curious. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem has been solved! Took the CX-30 in for the recall to update the software of the MRCC… turns out the update allowed for SBS-R (rear braking collision avoidance) to be turned off now and STAY off indefinitely. Have had the function off for a week or so now and the car is perfectly fine to reverse with bikes on the rack!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

Any thoughts?
disable "Smart Parking" (button left of steering column

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.