Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I currently ride a 2016 GTI, manual. I'm a manual transmission driver. It is getting somewhat old and I have some difficulty entering my "go-cart", so my eyes are now turning toward the CX30. In Canada, it is available with the Manual Trans but just with the base trim with the 2.0 engine and FWD ( in Canada only...). I am okay with the FWD but the manual trans is not available with the 2.5 engine. I would love a CX30 GS FWD with the 2.5 - Manual. So, after studying my options, an idea came to me, to either install a manual trans on a CX30 GS FWD (costly affair) - OR to get a Mazda3 Sport (Hatchback) GS, 2.5, FWD, Manual Trans, and raise the suspension with a set of CX30 suspension. Would this be a good and viable option? Am I looking for trouble (car's computer management)? (If you say that the Automatic Trans has a manual mode, no need to reply; you are not a Manual Trans driver. Just saying.)

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
545 Posts
"In Canada, it is available with the Manual Trans but just with the base trim with the 2.0 engine and FWD ( in Canada only...). "

the CX-30 in Canada does not come with a manual transmission in any model.

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
51 Posts
How about importing? Modifying a brand new car sounds like trouble and it will ruin the warranty.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
545 Posts
it doesn't really matter, (my pdf owners manual shows a manual but it doesn't apply to Canada), you have to go off the countries website as to how they equip their vehicles, that's where I got the info from my post above for Canada. There is no manual transmission offered in the CX-30 sold in Canada or the US. If you want a manual then you have to go for the Mazda 3 Sport.

this is from the Mazda Canada webstie under Engineering features in the specs section for the CX-30:
Vehicle Specs | 2021 CX-30 | Mazda Canada

I use this for the digital owner's manual
Mazda CX-30 Owner's Manual

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it doesn't really matter, (my pdf owners manual shows a manual but it doesn't apply to Canada), you have to go off the countries website as to how they equip their vehicles, that's where I got the info from my post above for Canada. There is no manual transmission offered in the CX-30 sold in Canada or the US. If you want a manual then you have to go for the Mazda 3 Sport.

this is from the Mazda Canada webstie under Engineering features in the specs section for the CX-30:
Vehicle Specs | 2021 CX-30 | Mazda Canada

View attachment 1329

I use this for the digital owner's manual
Mazda CX-30 Owner's Manual
A Mazda 3 sport and raise the suspension, my first thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 PP Turbo Polymetal Gray
32 Posts
Welcome, Luc. I've driven manuals all my life until recently and still have a 6-speed manual VR6 GTI that I will probably drive 'til the wheels fall off. However, when I retired in 2017 we bought an auto Outback with all the bells & whistles for road trips (curtailed in 2020 due to an outbreak of mass insanity). Self-adjusting cruise control in slow-'n'-go urban traffic made me an auto tranny fan for life!

We just bought a new CX-30 Turbo, available only with AWD and Mazda's 6-speed auto. The tranny is great -- shifts smooth and fast -- and with the paddle shifters it's very responsive and does a great job of selecting the right gear when downshifting while entering a corner. The 2.5 liter turbo is great, too. Mazda engineered it for smooth, linear torque in the heart of the rev range, giving effortless power on demand that feels more like my old Camaro Z28 than like one of today's tiny turbo four-bangers.

Also, you might want to check with Dave Coleman of Mazda NA before buying a 3 expecting to bolt on a few CX30 parts to lift it.

·
Registered
‘17 CX-9 Signature & ‘19 Mazda 3 GT
50 Posts
Hello from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I currently ride a 2016 GTI, manual. I'm a manual transmission driver. It is getting somewhat old and I have some difficulty entering my "go-cart", so my eyes are now turning toward the CX30. In Canada, it is available with the Manual Trans but just with the base trim with the 2.0 engine and FWD ( in Canada only...). I am okay with the FWD but the manual trans is not available with the 2.5 engine. I would love a CX30 GS FWD with the 2.5 - Manual. So, after studying my options, an idea came to me, to either install a manual trans on a CX30 GS FWD (costly affair) - OR to get a Mazda3 Sport (Hatchback) GS, 2.5, FWD, Manual Trans, and raise the suspension with a set of CX30 suspension. Would this be a good and viable option? Am I looking for trouble (car's computer management)? (If you say that the Automatic Trans has a manual mode, no need to reply; you are not a Manual Trans driver. Just saying.)
Just go for the Mazda 3 Sport if manual tranny is a deal breaker...the CX30 only has almost 2” more of ground clearance which won’t be an issue unless you really need to go off roading. Besides, even if the 2.0L engine was available here in Cda for the base model, the 2.0 engine is under powered and noisy/buzzy...I know coz I had a CX-3 for a year hence also part of reason I got rid of that.

Modifying the GS FWD from an auto to a manual tranny as you’ve said will be very costly and this may affect the power train warranty of Mazda should there be a warranty claim within the covered period. Might not be worth it...

If the Mazda 3 Sport won’t really suffice or modifying the auto tranny of the GS FWD to manual prove to be not worth it and you really can’t stomach driving an automatic, hate to say it but you may have to find another subcompact CUV with manual tranny like a Subaru Crosstrek. Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just go for the Mazda 3 Sport if manual tranny is a deal breaker...the CX30 only has almost 2” more of ground clearance
FYI, conflicting ground clearance reports on the CX30 led me to get out my tape measure. 8", just like Mazda's current spec sheet claims. The 3 hatch has 5.5"

·
Registered
‘17 CX-9 Signature & ‘19 Mazda 3 GT
50 Posts
FYI, conflicting ground clearance reports on the CX30 led me to get out my tape measure. 8", just like Mazda's current spec sheet claims. The 3 hatch has 5.5"
not conflicting...info was based from Mazda USA with CX-30 listed at 6.9” of clearance vs 5.5” on the Mazda 3 Sport so almost 2” of ground clearance diff was right. Not saying you’re wrong on your actual measurement but maybe Mazda has a diff way of measuring...besides I find it hard to believe it has 8” of clearance as it would just be the same as my CX-9. At any rate, that wasn’t the point as it was meant to show the gap was not really that huge.

8617A3D8-C840-405C-A8D2-5A943DD0B1DC.jpeg

·
Registered
32 Posts
not conflicting...info was based from Mazda USA with CX-30 listed at 6.9” of clearance vs 5.5” on the Mazda 3 Sport so almost 2” of ground clearance diff was right. Not saying you’re wrong on your actual measurement but maybe Mazda has a diff way of measuring...besides I find it hard to believe it has 8” of clearance as it would just be the same as my CX-9. At any rate, that wasn’t the point as it was meant to show the gap was not really that huge.
See what I mean about conflicting information? Even Mazda's own publications show 6.9" in some cases and 8.0" in others, which is why I measured to see for myself. The screenshot below is from Mazda USA's website today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts