Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have posted this on another thread but not sure who gets to see that so thought I would start one of my own.

Hopefully someone with technical / auto electric knowledge will read this. I had a dash cam fitted to my brand new CX30 in September. Having had many experiences of being 'dinked' in car parks, I opted for one that had parking sensors. I picked what I thought was a reusable company to have it fitted. To be fair I haven't used the car as much as I would normally due to Covid, but a week or so ago I went out to the car to find it absolutely flat. Mazda recovers came out and diagnosed an alternator issue. They took it off to Mazda, who said the car was fine but mentioned that the Dash Cam could be draining the battery in Park Mode. I had the installer come out to check the cam and he re-routed the supply for the park mode but said everything checked out. I didn't get in to the car for a couple of days but when I did the Cameras now say 'no signal' - and as I have the 360 parking cameras they are all out. Anyone got any ideas / comments / suggestions please?

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
677 Posts
Hi.

I don't know your dashcam model, but is there a sleep mode on the camera you should engage to reduce power when the car is parked? This sleep mode should, of course, enable the camera to pop back into action when its sensors are triggered. Also, do you leave the camera running whenever you park or, are there times (maybe at home for example) when the car doesn't need to be so closely monitored?

Can you measure the current drain on the camera or does it state the drain in the specifications?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.

I don't know your dashcam model, but is there a sleep mode on the camera you should engage to reduce power when the car is parked? This sleep mode should, of course, enable the camera to pop back into action when its sensors are triggered. Also, do you leave the camera running whenever you park or, are there times (maybe at home for example) when the car doesn't need to be so closely monitored?

Can you measure the current drain on the camera or does it state the drain in the specifications?
The dash cam is a think ware model. It has a Parking Mode - most times when my car has been damaged has been when it is parked) - so needs a live feed. Have one on my other car and that hasn't caused an issue

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
677 Posts
I wonder if your issue is more relating to where your dashcam is wired? You posted in this thread about this and there were discussions and warnings about the car not going to sleep properly after the wiring is modified for dashcams - so maybe it's not the dashcam, per se, but the way it's installed.

Have you looked at how you can use the USB power for this? - or, not being funny, running the dashcam from a USB-based rechargeable battery in the car that is charged from the USB when the car is running?

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
49 Posts
I am under the impression this vehicle's stand by power consumption us a bit under powered....as we have issues in which normal radio listening has killed the battery. All we need to do is switch the battery to a more powerful one. That will give you plenty more juice for your camera. Or for a longer radio listening session without leaving you stranded.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
159 Posts
I run a dual-channel dash camera with parking mode, but I use an external battery to drive it. The battery only charges when the car is running: the pain of which is, you cannot tap one of the internal "always on" fuses but have to run the power feed through the firewall to the fuse panel under the hood. The battery itself tucks nicely under the driver's seat and provides about 25 hours of power for a dual-camera system and 45 hours for a single camera system. Works perfectly and never utilizes the vehicles battery.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
86 Posts
I run a dual-channel dash camera with parking mode, but I use an external battery to drive it. The battery only charges when the car is running: the pain of which is, you cannot tap one of the internal "always on" fuses but have to run the power feed through the firewall to the fuse panel under the hood. The battery itself tucks nicely under the driver's seat and provides about 25 hours of power for a dual-camera system and 45 hours for a single camera system. Works perfectly and never utilizes the vehicles battery.
I am looking at building the same setup with accesory fuse tap and external battery,
Question: Did you find any problems with fuse tap (as mazda loves to have non-standard fuse sockets) . Do you have the part number or link to that fuse tap ?
Please advise. Thanks

CaliJoe

·
Registered
20 CX30 AWD Premium Skyactive G w/ Cyl Deactivation
17 Posts
I resolved it with a relay that taps into the fuse box and spliced into the wireless charger as a trigger for ignition on. Powering a blackvue battery and camera set up, and a radar.

Check the thread: “No Switched Fuses for Radar Dectector/Dashcam”

1 - 8 of 8 Posts