Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of crazy, but I took delivery of my 2021 Turbo Premium last Saturday. The one I purchased was parked on the showroom so I test drove another one, no issues, drove a 3 Hatch as well to compare and just really loved the size and comfort of the 30.

I left the dealer and within 10 minutes started thinking, something isn't right. When looking out the left or right quarter of the windshield everything looked like I was looking through a magnifying glass. I also noticed that when I would hit a bump the whole world would look wavy like the ocean, and no matter what I did with adjustments the HUD was blurry or ghosting.

I spoke with Service that Monday, and they pointed me back to my sales rep. I went back and forth with him for a few days sending pics/videos and him and his rep and manager had no idea, and I think thought I was a touch crazy.

Well I took it into a service appt today to have it inspected, and the service tech checking me I also looked at me like I was crazy. However, he hopped in the drivers seat, looked around for a few seconds and said "Nope, that's definitely defective."

The tech, Mazda Rep, Manager and sales guy all said they had never seen that, the tech saying he had seen it once in his career on a passenger window of a Subaru.

So good news is they are replacing the windshield for me, awesome, bad news is they apparently have to get a windshield from Mazda and have no idea the ETA. Bit of a bummer as the vehicle is brand new and I really can't drive more than 10-15 minutes without getting a headache from the glass, so I guess it will sit in the garage until they can get some glass shipped in.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
677 Posts
Man, that's an odd thing to have on a new car! Let's hope you don't have long to wait for a replacement.

Does this impact / affect your comments on the HUD elsewhere or are these both separate issues?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@savcom believe so, I was getting really bad ghosting and just struggled to find any angle by which the HUD was legible. The dealer believes the two are related and hopefully replacing the windshield resolves it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had my 3 delivered with a squiggly vision windshield. Also had a cx5 windshield that had to be replaced after rock damage and the replacement was squiggly.
It's not so rare if you are sensitive to such things, Many of the cars I have had show squiggles as I peer through the passenger side windshield at an angle from the drivers seat. I just accept that as near normal.

As I debated whether or not to try to get the new 3s windshield replaced under warranty with the possible collateral damage that might entail, the decision was taken from me by a gravel truck at 1500 miles, so the replacement was on me. I did not realize how much it bugged me until I saw how much more I enjoyed the car after the replacement was installed.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my 3 delivered with a squiggly vision windshield. Also had a cx5 windshield that had to be replaced after rock damage and the replacement was squiggly.
It's not so rare if you are sensitive to such things, Many of the cars I have had show squiggles as I peer through the passenger side windshield at an angle from the drivers seat. I just accept that as near normal.

As I debated whether or not to try to get the new 3s windshield replaced under warranty with the possible collateral damage that might entail, the decision was taken from me by a gravel truck at 1500 miles, so the replacement was on me. I did not realize how much it bugged me until I saw how much more I enjoyed the car after the replacement was installed.
bummer to hear you have had so many issues, I’ve never seen anything like it across all my vehicles. Glad to hear the replacement was an improvement for you!

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
107 Posts
I have noticed that some of the cx30s can been seen having a wavy windshield on the outside but when looking through the inside you can't see it. It's weird. Mine has some waviness that can been seen at an extreme angle from the outside

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have noticed that some of the cx30s can been seen having a wavy windshield on the outside but when looking through the inside you can't see it. It's weird. Mine has some waviness that can been seen at an extreme angle from the outside
Yea, so I just got mine back from the repair on Monday, this took 3+ weeks to sort out, and the new windshield definitely has that bit of waviness when you look at extreme angles out and, in the sides, but I had issues at any angle that severely impacted driving, the new windshield is definitely way better.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
107 Posts
Yea, so I just got mine back from the repair on Monday, this took 3+ weeks to sort out, and the new windshield definitely has that bit of waviness when you look at extreme angles out and, in the sides, but I had issues at any angle that severely impacted driving, the new windshield is definitely way better.
That's great news. I am happy you got some resolution. Let us know how it goes over time. I hope it's fixed for good.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Good to hear. Marking the thread as 'Resolved' for you.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30
3 Posts
Kind of crazy, but I took delivery of my 2021 Turbo Premium last Saturday. The one I purchased was parked on the showroom so I test drove another one, no issues, drove a 3 Hatch as well to compare and just really loved the size and comfort of the 30.

I left the dealer and within 10 minutes started thinking, something isn't right. When looking out the left or right quarter of the windshield everything looked like I was looking through a magnifying glass. I also noticed that when I would hit a bump the whole world would look wavy like the ocean, and no matter what I did with adjustments the HUD was blurry or ghosting.

I spoke with Service that Monday, and they pointed me back to my sales rep. I went back and forth with him for a few days sending pics/videos and him and his rep and manager had no idea, and I think thought I was a touch crazy.

Well I took it into a service appt today to have it inspected, and the service tech checking me I also looked at me like I was crazy. However, he hopped in the drivers seat, looked around for a few seconds and said "Nope, that's definitely defective."

The tech, Mazda Rep, Manager and sales guy all said they had never seen that, the tech saying he had seen it once in his career on a passenger window of a Subaru.

So good news is they are replacing the windshield for me, awesome, bad news is they apparently have to get a windshield from Mazda and have no idea the ETA. Bit of a bummer as the vehicle is brand new and I really can't drive more than 10-15 minutes without getting a headache from the glass, so I guess it will sit in the garage until they can get some glass shipped in.
We came home from purchasing CX-30 premium, with a similar story.
We went to drive CX-30, and I drove, husband rode in the passenger seat. Within 2 minutes, he was bobbing his head up and down, saying that there was a wave in the glass. I rolled my eyes, and said that he was crazy. I could not see it on the driver's side.
We traded seats, and I could definitely see it. It was in my field of vision, half way up the windshield.
When we returned to the dealer, (we were set to drive a CX-5), we told our salesman about the wave in the glass. He went out to look, and couldn't see it, so he called over his boss to look. Two persons saw the wave along with us, so they brought over another CX-30 for us to compare. The 2nd car definitely did NOT have the wave.
After speaking honestly, it was a deal-breaker for us. The dealership agreed to replace the windshield. Wow, we were thrilled, and gladly signed the papers. We love the car.
So... the story continues. They gave us a demo CX-30 to drive while the windshield is getting replaced. We drive home in the rain/darkness.
The next morning we go out to drive the demo car, and sure enough, there's a wave in the glass. But, it is in the upper part of the windshield this time. We both can see it, but it is not in our field of vision. It makes the difference.
All of this said, we are concerned about the new windshield going in the brand new car. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS Machine Grey
1 Posts
Same issue here. Test driver was fine but as soon as I drove off the lot after delivery, something was off, like wearing a friend's prescription glasses. Spoke to sales rep and maintenance and it was replaced within about 10 days. I needed to be firm in my ask and wasn't taking no for an answer. The new glass is not perfect, but is night and day from the first one. Rarely now do I think about the defect as I can drive almost 100% symptom free. Being tired makes it worse, but overall this is much better.
From what I gather on forums and making friends and folks around me look through the glass, they can see the "wave-like deformity", but it doesn't seem to give them headaches. So I guess this problem is subjective to people more sensitive to their vision. This is not CX-30 specific... I've seen it on other makes and brands. Overall windshield quality has deteriorated over the years...

Now to get the low battery alert fixed...

Love this car, but it has its flaws. Hopefully this is part of growing pains of a new model (<3 yrs) but that we will come out happy on the other side!

·
Registered
205 Posts
There does seem to be more wavy windshields around these days, but much of it stems from the steep angles now favored for sleeker looks and airflow. The greater the angle, the quicker flaws become apparent. If you were stand your old windshield upright, like an old pickup truck, I doubt there would be a problem. Most any glass with show distortion at some point if leaned over far enough. If you are a taller person or like to sit high, that increases the angle as well. Not saying that high quality glass cannot be produced to give wave free viewing at some pretty extreme angles, just that it becomes more difficult to get it right.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Same issue here. Test driver was fine but as soon as I drove off the lot after delivery, something was off, like wearing a friend's prescription glasses. Spoke to sales rep and maintenance and it was replaced within about 10 days. I needed to be firm in my ask and wasn't taking no for an answer. The new glass is not perfect, but is night and day from the first one. Rarely now do I think about the defect as I can drive almost 100% symptom free. Being tired makes it worse, but overall this is much better.
From what I gather on forums and making friends and folks around me look through the glass, they can see the "wave-like deformity", but it doesn't seem to give them headaches. So I guess this problem is subjective to people more sensitive to their vision. This is not CX-30 specific... I've seen it on other makes and brands. Overall windshield quality has deteriorated over the years...

Now to get the low battery alert fixed...

Love this car, but it has its flaws. Hopefully this is part of growing pains of a new model (<3 yrs) but that we will come out happy on the other side!
Welcome to CX30Talk. Hope you get the low battery issue fixed.

Why not post an introduction here so we can welcome you to the forum?

If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, then read our introduction here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a wavy windshield too, which is going in for service tomorrow. It causes double vision in the heads up display.
The number, mph, the corners, all have ghosting or double vision. The corners are visible because I'm in the menu settings adjusting height/title/brightness.
And when driving, it really does take a toll on one's eyes, as objects/bridges/stoplights shrink/grow/move depending on where it is in the line of sight. I don't think I could drive more than a hour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on my issue: Mazda replaced the windshield. The new one still has the same wavy issue, double vision in heads up display. Now waiting for the dealership service department to present this issue again to Mazda corporate for approval of a second replacement.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Update on my issue: Mazda replaced the windshield. The new one still has the same wavy issue, double vision in heads up display. Now waiting for the dealership service department to present this issue again to Mazda corporate for approval of a second replacement.
Good luck. Maybe start a new thread of your own, if this starts to drag on ....

Reactions: Mike012345
1 - 17 of 17 Posts