Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium (Polymetal Gray)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the disappointments I have with the CX-30 Turbo Premium is the sound the doors make when closed. The driver's door especially. They sound cheap and don't close with a solid thunk. My car is in the shop this weekend to have a rotor replaced (700 miles on the car) because of a clearly bad rotor sound when slowing that I noticed when I drove it off the lot last month.

They gave me a 2021 CX-5 base model to drive and the doors are incredibly solid sounding. At the price point for the CX-30 (around 35K out the door), I would have expected something a bit more substantial. Does anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
no, mine sounds very solid.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
174 Posts
One of the disappointments I have with the CX-30 Turbo Premium is the sound the doors make when closed. The driver's door especially. They sound cheap and don't close with a solid thunk. My car is in the shop this weekend to have a rotor replaced (700 miles on the car) because of a clearly bad rotor sound when slowing that I noticed when I drove it off the lot last month.

They gave me a 2021 CX-5 base model to drive and the doors are incredibly solid sounding. At the price point for the CX-30 (around 35K out the door), I would have expected something a bit more substantial. Does anyone else notice this?
All reviews have also commented on that. From the inside they sound fine but from the outside they so sound a bit hollow.
Mine is the same.
It's also the perception of what solid is or what it is not. People will have different opinions even if all the cars are exactly the same

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
I have a 4th gen 3 and a 2nd gen CX5. The best thunkers are the rear doors on the 5, then the front doors on the 5 then the front doors on the 3 and lastly the 3's rear doors and surrounding sheet metal are very tinny. My 3rd gen three was not so good either. First gen 3 sedan had very solid rear doors.
My last Golf (MK VII)had really great feel to door closings front and rear,

I should like to take the opportunity to compare directly the cx 30 vs the 3 hatch. Most reports I've seen would seem to indicate they are comparable.
Funny how something so arcane can affect your overall perception of quality, which in turn affects ownership satisfaction.

It's a misfire when a manufacturer neglects this aspect, as most everybody notices.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Lining the inside of the doors with a self adhesive sound deadening sheet will go a long way to make them sound more solid.
No doubt, but when I see the sheet metal around the door deflecting, the problem seems more fundamental and adding weight to the door would further stress the weak structure at the c pillar.

·
Registered
GT Sport, Deep Crystal Blue
121 Posts
Does it really matter what type of noise the door makes when it is closed? As long as it closes properly and all the electrics work as they should then I don't see that there is a problem.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Does it really matter what type of noise the door makes when it is closed? As long as it closes properly and all the electrics work as they should then I don't see that there is a problem.
I don't know, does it matter if the stereo sounds crappy so long as it works?
Does it matter if the paint has flaws so long as there is enough coverage to prevent rust?
Some people are more finicky than others and have different ideas about what represents quality.
But I will concede, as mimilano says, It is somewhat subjective.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know, does it matter if the stereo sounds crappy so long as it works?
Does it matter if the paint has flaws so long as there is enough coverage to prevent rust?
Some people are more finicky than others and have different ideas about what represents quality.
But I will concede, as mimilano says, It is somewhat subjective.
I think it does not apply to everything.
Yes, it does matter if the radio sounds crappy and the paint is cheap. Of course it does.

The reason why I agree with Robbo is because the primary function of a door is to keep us safe, insulated from the outside, and keep the sound from the outside to as minimal as possible, and I think the Mazda cx-30 does a great job doing that. Does it sound great? Well...
The sound, whether it sounded like it did or if sounded like a luxury car, would not change the primary characteristics and functions of the door, therefore it becomes just a sound, whether pleasant or not.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think it does not apply to everything.
Yes, it does matter if the radio sounds crappy and the paint is cheap. Of course it does.

The reason why I agree with Robbo is because the primary function of a door is to keep us safe, insulated from the outside, and keep the sound from the outside to as minimal as possible, and I think the Mazda cx-30 does a great job doing that. Does it sound great? Well...
The sound, whether it sounded like it did or if sounded like a luxury car, would not change the primary characteristics and functions of the door, therefore it becomes just a sound, whether pleasant or not.
Does not sound like we disagree all that much. We both find a tinny door unpleasant to hear. We disagree on the significance of that. Am I right so far? Obviously, it is not the end of the world important or the rattle so bad that the overall satisfaction of ownership is negative for me. I like my 3 and would buy it again.. It just makes the car feel cheaper than it has to.

"therefore it becomes just a sound, whether pleasant or not"
How about dash rattles? Are you ok with those? Not directly comparable, I concede, as few things are as annoying as a loud dash rattle, but the principle applies. After all, the primary purpose of the dash is to inform you and provide crash protection. A little squeak or rattle from there does not affect those things. The dash is doing it's job, right? Tinny doors are a rattle, if only at a point in time, that just like a dash rattle triggers something in the brain that tells you something is off and not put together solidly. A solid door by contrast, like a well machined and oiled rifle bolt, gives a little feeling of satisfaction every time you close it. And I am not comparing my 3 to Audis and Benzes, but rather to my Golf and other Mazda's I have owned previously.

But in fairness, I am talking about my 3 hatch and tinny doors in general. The 30 may be better in this regard, so my whole argument may be pointless to 30 owners here.

If you want it, I give you the last word.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does not sound like we disagree all that much. We both find a tinny door unpleasant to hear. We disagree on the significance of that. Am I right so far? Obviously, it is not the end of the world important or the rattle so bad that the overall satisfaction of ownership is negative for me. I like my 3 and would buy it again.. It just makes the car feel cheaper than it has to.

"therefore it becomes just a sound, whether pleasant or not"
How about dash rattles? Are you ok with those? Not directly comparable, I concede, as few things are as annoying as a loud dash rattle, but the principle applies. After all, the primary purpose of the dash is to inform you and provide crash protection. A little squeak or rattle from there does not affect those things. The dash is doing it's job, right? Tinny doors are a rattle, if only at a point in time, that just like a dash rattle triggers something in the brain that tells you something is off and not put together solidly. A solid door by contrast, like a well machined and oiled rifle bolt, gives a little feeling of satisfaction every time you close it. And I am not comparing my 3 to Audis and Benzes, but rather to my Golf and other Mazda's I have owned previously.

But in fairness, I am talking about my 3 hatch and tinny doors in general. The 30 may be better in this regard, so my whole argument may be pointless to 30 owners here.

If you want it, I give you the last word.
All agreed on. At the end of the day I too would love if the sound and feels of the doors were solid and heavy like a luxury car. Definitely would welcome that!
I do agree with you that the doors on the 3 and the 30 feel cheap especially when you hear the sound they make and how light in weight they feel. My passengers usually always slam the doors and I hate that. It's because of the light weight and ugly sound.
I hope that Mazda can fix this for future generations especially if it's proven they had better doors on the 3 in the past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.