Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Please to be a part of the forum. I have just picked up my car yesterday and I am noticing a droning sound coming into the cabin when accelerating above 2000 rpms. When I was picking up the car, I started it and while it was warning up the right exhaust pipe was shaking while the left was still. Also noticed today that my driver's mirror shakes while the passenger's does not and neither does the rear view mirror.
I am thinking that this is coming from the exhaust/muffler.
What do you all think? Any suggestions or ideas what it could be?

Thank you!

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
114 Posts
When my car is warming up I hear a droning/drill sound. The engine seems to have a sound under harder acceleration that I would describe like a drill. I don't mind it, but it does sound different to all the different cars I owned.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Navii,

thank you for your feedback. It’s not the sound of the engine that bothers me. All the other ones I drove had the same sounds, however there is an additional sound added on. Sounds like vibration coming from under the car.
When I accelerate there is some vibration within the car as well, mostly felt through the floor and perhaps a bit through the pedal.
Since I have driven other CX30s I know it should be smoother, but mine has a bit of a roughness to it when acceleration, but again, only when I push it a bit harder, usually above 2500 rpm.

Best,
Miro

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will bring it to the dealership at the end of this week or early next week for diagnosis. Hoping that once "break" in time is over when I bit 600 miles that it should become better but we will see. I am already over 400

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
I have to say I don't notice any droning noise when starting up (I got the car with 700 miles on it and it now has 2,700). I do notice the engine does sound a little like a diesel at start-up (I have the 2 litre SkyActiv-X) but once under way there's no drone even above 2,000 rpm.

Hope you get this sorted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say I don't notice any droning noise when starting up (I got the car with 700 miles on it and it now has 2,700). I do notice the engine does sound a little like a diesel at start-up (I have the 2 litre SkyActiv-X) but once under way there's no drone even above 2,000 rpm.

Hope you get this sorted.
Agree with you one the diesel sound. It’s the same with the 2.5 here in the USA. The sound does not bother me, it’s more about this added vibration sound I am getting and feel through the car. Though it’s not really bad, I can notice it’s happening only when accelerating so there definitely is something going on.

·
Administrator
829 Posts
Agree with you one the diesel sound. It’s the same with the 2.5 here in the USA. The sound does not bother me, it’s more about this added vibration sound I am getting and feel through the car. Though it’s not really bad, I can notice it’s happening only when accelerating so there definitely is something going on.
Yes - once you notice something like that you can't un-notice it, can you? I have a buzz / rattle from the bottom of the drivers door that annoys me....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am bringing the car to the dealership tomorrow. Let's see what they say. The strange thing is that the car has changed behavior after the brake in period, though the vibration has not gone away

·
Administrator
829 Posts
Please let us know what is resolved after your dealership visit so we can update the thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone. I am back from the dealership as I went to have my car inspected based on my concern of excess vibration coming into the cabin above 2000 rpm and between speeds of 65-75 MPH. These speeds were the most troublesome, but not the only ones that exhibited the vibration. It was also happening around 50-55 miles per hour.

After test driving the car with the mechanic, he also agreed that there was vibration and he felt it too.
They did a road force balance on all tires and found out that all were a bit off. They did not give me final numbers on how off it was and sorry, I didn’t really ask. I also noticed that my tire pressure was not the same for all 4 tires when I picked up the car. I checked when they were hot and the computer showed between 38-40 psi, so once I am able to check them cold and get final numbers I will update you. Perhaps the uneven tire pressure too is adding a bit to the vibration, though 1-2 psi should not make any major difference.

The rebalance made the car 90% better! I would say I am happy with the results. The other 10% I would say is normal vibration from the rough roads here in Massachusetts and honestly the cheap tires that came with the car. I have read many reviews about the Bridgestone Turanza L440 and people aren’t happy. I am not greatly satisfied either and these just don’t feel great and they lack in grip when needed most.

I hope this makes some of you a bit relieved that it is the tires and not something else on the car. I sure am relieved!

For those in Massachusetts, I went to 495 Mazda, spoke to Cesar the manager and worked with Cyril the mechanic. Both were very nice guys, and quite welcoming. So far I have had a good experience with them, through sales and maintenance department. Even their accessories prices are good for those looking for some good discounts.

Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer, otherwise I would say this case has been resolved.

·
Administrator
829 Posts
Great feedback.

I'd almost mark the discussion 'resolved', but I reckon we should wait till you've done a few miles and see if the vibration has gone for good. What do you think?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealership is about 15-20 miles away from my house, mostly on highway. Felt pretty good but sure I think that's a good idea. I will see how it is tomorrow as I do my errands and report back. Thank you Savcom.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so another update although I wouldn’t say conclusive. Perhaps you were correct Savcom to wait a bit.
I drove it today and though it drove better, some of the cornering characteristics of the car felt a bit different. I checked the tire pressure monitor and it seems like the dealerships played with the PSI pressure to adjust some of the previous vibration issue. How I know this is because all tires were set at 36 psi, bit when I got it back it was 39 for both at the front, then 38 on the rear left and 40 on the rear right.

Today I am trying to adjust them back and even maybe a bit below 36 though I didn’t have any problem with the firmer ride of the car before. Believe it or not with the higher PSI it some how felt softer...hmmm, idk...
So I am still trying to adjust and figure out the “right“ psi I would feel comfortable with.

The other thing I noticed though is that there was some vibration still, but now it was more prominent at around 50 where i felt it before, but I feel it more now. No longer do I really feel it at 65-75. This vibration is different however because now it feels more like a shake than a vibration if that makes sense. I feel it more in the steering wheel and not so much in the pedal, whereas before it was in both.

Hopefully this makes sense. I will keep you updated as I keep driving the car more, but there definitely is an improvement after the rebalancing, though I wouldn’t call it perfect, it is not. This makes me think that it is a poor quality tire problem, personally, but then again I am not an expert.

·
Administrator
829 Posts
I would say two things to be aware of if the car tyres have been adjusted, rebalanced (and hopefully aligned too).
  • I would make sure that the car tyre pressures are balanced left/right on the same axle. Any imbalance would be more noticeable than a similar overall PSI change.
  • The car may feel different over surfaces that you have got used to (particularly when cornering) as the car suspension geometry would have been slightly altered as part of any alignment process. The feeling should be an improvement (smoother, better control, better precision when steering)
And I would discuss bringing the car back in to check, in case any of the balance weights fall off after (say) 500 miles.

Reactions: mimilano

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would say two things to be aware of if the car tyres have been adjusted, rebalanced (and hopefully aligned too).
  • I would make sure that the car tyre pressures are balanced left/right on the same axle. Any imbalance would be more noticeable than a similar overall PSI change.
  • The car may feel different over surfaces that you have got used to (particularly when cornering) as the car suspension geometry would have been slightly altered as part of any alignment process. The feeling should be an improvement (smoother, better control, better precision when steering)
And I would discuss bringing the car back in to check, in case any of the balance weights fall off after (say) 500 miles.
Thank you Savcom. I will keep an eye on the weights.

I think you make great points. I also like them to be the same all the way around if not at least the same in the front then same in the back even if from front to back they are different.

The ride does feel smoother, just a bit different but what you are saying about the adjustments makes sense. Hopefully once I drive it next with all wheels adjusted to the same psi it drives as well as I expected it to.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, I guess this isn't resolved. Though the car might have improved at some speeds, it now has issues are other speeds. For example I feel like at lower speeds when before it was super smooth, not I feel every little imperfection on the road. Also, vibration still happens, just at different speeds like I mentioned now it's more around the 45-55 ish mph, not so much 65-75, unless I get close to 80.

I don't know, my feel like I mentioned before is that this is a tire/wheel issues. I think these tires suck. For the car to be this sensitive from the start and with every little change, it makes sense for it to be the tires. The chassis and the suspension feel good to me. Everything feels tight, absorbent, comfortable from a suspension perspective, so I don't think it's a suspension issue.

Any thoughts?

I will bring it back to the dealership eventually. Just won't be right away.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I took a 280 mile trip. Before I left I adjusted the tires pressure to 37-38 psi measured cold. This made a difference.
The difference is that I no longer feel vibration through the pedal or the wheel, however the shaking is still there around the 45-55 mph and a bit around 65-75. Much improved from before, but still there.
One thing however has not changed and that is the vibration I feel when accelerating at higher speeds, above 2500 rpm. The way I can describe this vibration is it feels like a power tool. Imagine using a hand sander and you feel the vibration coming from the tool.
However, this happens if I press down on the pedal harder than just slowly pushing it down. Smoothens is possible if slowly accelerating, even if above 2500 rpm, but not if I press harder. There is an acception however. If I was to press is really hard from a stop, this vibration is very minimal or pretty much gone.
Does anyone else experience this? I hope what I am saying makes sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.