Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium 2.5
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a terrible sounding rattle (gravelly?) sound from my motor from 2000/2500 to 3000 rpm especially under load like accelerating up a hill. The dealer has tried to chase it a few times with no luck and Mazda is saying everything is "within normal operating condition". They checked exhaust system, AC compressor bolts, heat shields, etc etc with no luck.

Anyone else having this noise? Also have a lot of rattles around the cabin but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

2020 Premium 2.5

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
146 Posts
I have a terrible sounding rattle (gravelly?) sound from my motor from 2000/2500 to 3000 rpm especially under load like accelerating up a hill. The dealer has tried to chase it a few times with no luck and Mazda is saying everything is "within normal operating condition". They checked exhaust system, AC compressor bolts, heat shields, etc etc with no luck.

Anyone else having this noise? Also have a lot of rattles around the cabin but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

2020 Premium 2.5
Yes sir. Same issue. It sound and feels like you described it gravely. As if something is grinding. What I have found out is that if you are easy on the accelerating or very aggressive it won't happen, but it's that in between push of the accelerator pedal when you feel it, especially at higher speeds.
I did have some unbalanced tires which kind of fixes vibration within my cabin but not the acceleration issue.
My feeling might be that it's still a problem with the tires and wheels or that perhaps something is just loose underneath the car.
Does your acceleration issue feel like a vibration or sorts if that's a good way to describe it...?

·
Registered
146 Posts

This is the link to the one I started about a month ago

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium 2.5
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's more of a gravelly rattle from under the car - not really a vibration in the wheels/steering. I also just got new tires mounted and balanced - no change in the engine rattle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's more of a gravelly rattle from under the car - not really a vibration in the wheels/steering. I also just got new tires mounted and balanced - no change in the engine rattle.
You described it perfectly. When I said vibration I meant you hear it from under the car but also there is small vibration felt through the floor too, not the wheel or the seat.
Also if it helps, check if at idle your car has the a small vibration when you put your foot on the pedal, especially the brake pedal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the feeling we are definitely talking about the same thing, just describing it a bit differently. It's very specific and unique that it's not something easily described. It's my first time experiencing something like this with any car.
I am considering asking the dealership to let me drive other cars on the lot and if they don't have the issue then at least they know something is going on that isn't supposed to happen

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium 2.5
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I def feel it through the pedal and the floor - but not necessarily at idle?

I've driven a few other cars from them that didn't have any vibrations or rattles like my motor does. :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for confirming on your year drives. Then it seems like we got to figure this out because it's not normal. I also don't remember it in my test drives before I bought the car.
Yes, sometimes the pedal vibration is there when moving too, in my case I feel it when moving and when at idle.
I will keep on digging at this because it's definitely an annoying issue.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
719 Posts

2020 Premium 2.5
I've added the 2.5 to your vehicle details. This way you don't need to keep repeating what model car you have when you ask a question. It's now visible under your picture beside your posts.

I have one rattle in the car which will be attended to when the car goes in for its first service next month. I have noticed an edginess to my engine (we don't have the 2.5 here in the UK) but I wonder if my edginess is due to the SkyActiv-X technology used in my engine.

Good luck with resolving this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've added the 2.5 to your vehicle details. This way you don't need to keep repeating what model car you have when you ask a question. It's now visible under your picture beside your posts.

I have one rattle in the car which will be attended to when the car goes in for its first service next month. I have noticed an edginess to my engine (we don't have the 2.5 here in the UK) but I wonder if my edginess is due to the SkyActiv-X technology used in my engine.

Good luck with resolving this.
Thank you for always being so attentive Savcom! I appreciate your presence.
I hope you figure out what is going on with yours as well!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv X AWD UK
19 Posts
You don’t happen to be hearing the sound of engine knock right ? My Skyactiv X occasionally makes a noise resembling engine knock at mid range RPM especially when shifting gear. I was told it’s a normal thing for the Skyactiv X

·
Administrator
719 Posts
You don’t happen to be hearing the sound of engine knock right ? My Skyactiv X occasionally makes a noise resembling engine knock at mid range RPM especially when shifting gear. I was told it’s a normal thing for the Skyactiv X
I wondered that too, but, as I understand it, the 2.5L non-Turbo doesn't have SkyActiv technology (can someone please confirm?) The Turbo version on the 2021 model does appear to be SkyActiv-G.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In the USA the 2.5L G engine does have the SkyActiv technology if that's what you are referring to.
I would say it does sound a bit like a diesel engine from the sound it makes. I don't know about driving characteristics.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Could this be normal for the SkyActiv G engine as well if it has knock/grind like feel to it when accelerating?

·
Administrator
719 Posts
Could this be normal for the SkyActiv G engine as well if it has knock/grind like feel to it when accelerating?
My understanding is that:
  • SkyActiv-G is a highly-efficient direct-injection gasoline engine that has a very high engine compression ratio (14.0:1)
  • SkyActiv-X is a new engine design in which the benefits of a spark-ignition gasoline engine—expansiveness at high rpms and cleaner exhaust emissions—have been combined with those of a compression-ignition diesel engine—superior initial response and fuel economy—to produce a crossover engine that delivers the best of both worlds.
The combination of spark ignition and compression ignition is what gives rise to the unusual sound signature of the SkyActiv-X engine.

I don't think the SkyActiv-X technology is available in the US models of CX-30.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My understanding is that:
  • SkyActiv-G is a highly-efficient direct-injection gasoline engine that has a very high engine compression ratio (14.0:1)
  • SkyActiv-X is a new engine design in which the benefits of a spark-ignition gasoline engine—expansiveness at high rpms and cleaner exhaust emissions—have been combined with those of a compression-ignition diesel engine—superior initial response and fuel economy—to produce a crossover engine that delivers the best of both worlds.
The combination of spark ignition and compression ignition is what gives rise to the unusual sound signature of the SkyActiv-X engine.

I don't think the SkyActiv-X technology is available in the US models of CX-30.
No, the SkyActiv X tech is not available here yet until 2023 models come out

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since balancing the tires fixed most of my vibration and the dealership said they were not our of round when I asked, I think this is a drive train issue, most likely some component that is part of the drive shaft

·
Registered
146 Posts
The other day I checked when this gravely noise and feel happen and guess what. It's the transition from 4th to 5th gear, something that a lot of people have complained about has been a problem for the transmission. From jerking, to rough shifting. This might be what we are experiencing as well.

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
9 Posts
Hey add me to the list of owners with 4th to 5th gear shifting issues. I've experienced under low acceleration from 30-40mph jerking, shaking, etc. It ranges in severity and I wouldnt say gonna break but very annoying and wish Mazda would hurry up and address it. I've taken my car to a dealer who has updated every pcm/flash out there but hasn't really fixed it. It's some what random but it's there. Seems like it got worse or more noticeable over time. Im a heavy commuter and didn't notice this until the last month or so. Have over 35K miles on it. I'm waiting for now but will get more vocal closure to warranty expiring hoping that they'll get this figured out. Otherwise love the car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts