Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
146 Posts
Wow! 35k miles already?! How would you say it has gotten worse over time? Has affected anything else in the car, physical, mechanic? What about performance?
I am taking in mine on Monday to have it looked at a second time.
I am also suspecting something with the AC, but still have to do a bit more observation. However it seems like with AC off it improves on the roughness, and at times even eliminates it.

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
9 Posts
Worse over time that it's happening more frequently. Severity in terms of physical force/movement not changing that much. Seems like it happens more when warmed up but nothing else seems to affect it. Also it has to be when accelerating lightly 10-20% throttle. If no throttle the gear change is smooth. If giving it more gas then no issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well one more thing is that I could replicate it when going around 40mph in 5th then downshift (paddles) to 4th with light throttle and bingo... Shutter/jerky/etc for like second then smooth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you for all of the details! I appreciate you being specific.
You don't feel it at all at higher speeds say above 65 when going from 5 to 4 or vice versa?
If it's a gear think then It should technically be felt at other speeds too if the gears are identical as you said at 40mph.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi all, some food for thought as I just completed a 290 miles trip. I noticed that that car definitely exhibits a lot more imperfections when driving on rough road, even if the car is going the same speed at the same gear. What I mean is I noticed that there is a huge difference in how the car will feel smooth or shaking depending on the road. How I found out is going over patches of 495 in Massachusetts which were super smooth and the car was super smooth too, but when going on the regular stuff that 495 is made of, it's very rough, vibrates and it's quite annoying actual. The interesting thing I noticed too is that it effects everything, acceleration and braking too! Meaning those are also or at least appear to be rough when the road is rough. 495 is very gridy, it's make for those northeast winters where we get lots of snow.
So next time you all check, pay attention to the road and see how it affects the car. I think the simple suspension unfortunately isn't made for really rough roads. I can also compared it with other cars as well I have driven on the same road and they too get rough and vibration or shake when driving on they section of 495. So I am thinking the road plays a huge difference on how the car feels to us.
The one thing that didn't change was the grinding/gravely feel when accelerating between 4 and 5, though smoother roads made it less noticable.
One thing I am also investigating is whether the car a actually vibrates even more at 6 gear, because I noticed it today, but I am not sure it's consistent. It could have been the road too

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium 2.5
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mine is still having the engine noise/rattle from ~2k-3k RPM. I have taken it to the dealer several times now and they keep saying it is within spec for mazda and there really isn't anything they can do for it. They kind of suspect the exhaust still (resonance issue at that RPM range), but they haven't solved it.

I also have a very noticeable creaking noise from the front left suspension when movement happens at low speeds (coming to a stop sign, going over speed bumps, parallel parking, etc.). Same story, they acknowledge that it's there but they say they can't figure out what it is or how to fix it. It passes all the Mazda "tests"/parameters so they just keep giving it back to me.

I'm about to go to a third party shop but I don't want to pay someone for work that should very much be warranty.

I'm also coming up on 35K Miles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine is still having the engine noise/rattle from ~2k-3k RPM. I have taken it to the dealer several times now and they keep saying it is within spec for mazda and there really isn't anything they can do for it. They kind of suspect the exhaust still (resonance issue at that RPM range), but they haven't solved it.

I also have a very noticeable creaking noise from the front left suspension when movement happens at low speeds (coming to a stop sign, going over speed bumps, parallel parking, etc.). Same story, they acknowledge that it's there but they say they can't figure out what it is or how to fix it. It passes all the Mazda "tests"/parameters so they just keep giving it back to me.

I'm about to go to a third party shop but I don't want to pay someone for work that should very much be warranty.

I'm also coming up on 35K Miles.
I am in your situation too. Dealership hasn't been able to to figure out my issue with vibration and roughness when accelerating at 2500-3000 rpm. They say everything is normal.

Also creaking but from rear left for me. They said they hear it but can't do anything about it since Mazda doesn't have any specific solutions for it. The manager even told me that Mazda built in the creaking into the car, lol.
I don't think so!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also noticed that the vibration is the worst when the car hasn't been driven for a few days. The more I drive it the more it smooths out, but once I drive it for the first time after a few days the vibration is quite noticable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: So after a recent long road trip and experiencing the issue more I called my local mazda dealer. They asked if I could bring it in and have a tech take a ride and see if I could duplicate it. Today I went in and was able to duplicate the issue when shifting to 4th gear. Both an up shift from 3rd and downshifting from 5th. The tech immediately concurred it was an issue and most likely with the transmission. I asked him if he's seen issues and he stated that an earlier production run he's seen abnormal behavior. Nothing catastrophic. He said the newer replacement transmissions have a different part numbers than the original ones. I purchased my CX-30 in Dec of 2019 so it was one of the earlier built ones I think. In any case they gave me a loaner and now I'll find out next week what they determined and did with the car. I'll update when I get new information.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Update: So after a recent long road trip and experiencing the issue more I called my local mazda dealer. They asked if I could bring it in and have a tech take a ride and see if I could duplicate it. Today I went in and was able to duplicate the issue when shifting to 4th gear. Both an up shift from 3rd and downshifting from 5th. The tech immediately concurred it was an issue and most likely with the transmission. I asked him if he's seen issues and he stated that an earlier production run he's seen abnormal behavior. Nothing catastrophic. He said the newer replacement transmissions have a different part numbers than the original ones. I purchased my CX-30 in Dec of 2019 so it was one of the earlier built ones I think. In any case they gave me a loaner and now I'll find out next week what they determined and did with the car. I'll update when I get new information.
Thank you! Someone has finally decided to help you and therefore all of us. Thank your Mazda dealership for recognizing this as an issue because so far I haven't been able to convince mine that it is more than just wheel balance or something more standard.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I saw on another Mazda forum someone posted that this could be related to the torque converter. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Any updates on your vehicle? I hope you are having luck dealing with this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What timing. I actually just received my car back today. So after demonstrating the issues with a tech they replaced my transmission. Took almost two weeks in all but the have me a loner.

They said that there are known issues with some of the early cars where a transmission solenoid would act up and cause issue with shifting smoothness. It's early yet but the drive home in rush hour traffic with conditions that previously had things act up my shifts were very smooth now. I'll be monitoring for a few days to see if it's truly gone. I'm optimistic and really thankful my local Mazda dealer did all this under power train warranty. I can update with more miles and impressions. I really just want to drive normal and not think or notice this. My loaner was a new cx5 but I prefer my cx30. Please jerky transmission be gone!

·
Registered
146 Posts
What timing. I actually just received my car back today. So after demonstrating the issues with a tech they replaced my transmission. Took almost two weeks in all but the have me a loner.

They said that there are known issues with some of the early cars where a transmission solenoid would act up and cause issue with shifting smoothness. It's early yet but the drive home in rush hour traffic with conditions that previously had things act up my shifts were very smooth now. I'll be monitoring for a few days to see if it's truly gone. I'm optimistic and really thankful my local Mazda dealer did all this under power train warranty. I can update with more miles and impressions. I really just want to drive normal and not think or notice this. My loaner was a new cx5 but I prefer my cx30. Please jerky transmission be gone!
Fingers crossed! I hope that it is now fixed and you have nothing to worry about any longer. Keep us updated jtsturdivant. Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
2nd day of driving and really, really nice. Very smooth. I'm pretty confident this resolved my issue. Now it will be monitoring the long term for any changes. When I first got my CX30 I didn't notice any issues with shifting. I drive a ton (51K miles now). I would guess I started really noticing the issues 35K miles or so. Time will tell!

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I spoke to my local mechanic to get a second opinion on this.
I told him, this is a brand new Mazda CX-30, with 4500 miles on it, it has vibrations at 25-35 ; 45-55 ; 65-75 ,etc mph. As soon as he heard that, he got real uncomfortable, tense and said "this is a transmission issue."

The guy has been doing this for around 30 years, he didn't even look at my car and already knew something wasn't right.
He said that a lot of the time the only fix on new, modern cars that have these kinds of vibrations so early on is an update of the computer.

Now that brings me to my second point. I have been posting on this forum about having issues with my transmission too. It jerks, it has grinding acceleration at certain gears and RPM, and I can feel a kick from under the floor right where the transmission is located when driving down the road especially at faster speeds, so it gets worse when going faster.

So for those of you whom are still having vibration issues but not at the expense of the tires or wheels, then look into this. We all know that there are tons of people who have have issues with the transmission and lots who have had it corrected by a computer update.

My mechanic was so thrown off by this, he said if Mazda can't fix it what am I going to do with it to help you out? He said i can look at it but I probably won't be able to help you out.

Now I will be bringing my car into another dealership for another opinion before I bring it back to the one I was originally going to.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts