Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 2020, Soul Red
24 Posts
I think that this is poor design on an otherwise awesome car. My previous car had this same flaw. A little road debris here makes for a bad day - and expensive repair. My US preferred trim has no louvers, but I hope that I've fixed the issue with this mod.

View attachment 212
Where did you find that lower piece? I think it's the only time I ever saw something that covers the whole opening and I'd really be interested in that since I do find it's makes it look much better (and I don't have a front license plate so all the other mods I saw wouldn't really work).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well all Mazda's and every other car has the Condenser at the front of radiator, nothing new there and my 2008 RX-8 is exposed as is my MX-5, you want a cover from stones well you have to go with a Diamond Mesh of about 4mm 1/4 inch anything larger like a mesh of 10mm or 1/2 inch will lets some stones through.

Whatever you do DO NOT go with a home screen of fly wire mesh as it is too fine and will restrict air flow.

The Active Louvre opens up at certain speed and temperatures, it's purpose is to keep freezing cold air out and or to heat up engine radiator coolant faster for emissions, once open it does not protect much from flying stones.

This is not a 'bad' design, everything extra adds weight and cost...the old you get what you pay for, you want it all you buy the premium or top of specs.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD
67 Posts
It is clear that the grill shown in post#22 will not stop small pebbles/grit etc from hitting the cooler. Further any rock too big to go through the holes of that grill will likely break the plastic if the vehicle is moving at speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where did you find that lower piece? I think it's the only time I ever saw something that covers the whole opening and I'd really be interested in that since I do find it's makes it look much better (and I don't have a front license plate so all the other mods I saw wouldn't really work).
This was back before the modular pieces were available, so I made it following a YouTube video -
The supplies came from customcargrills.com - You pick a mesh sheet style you prefer & get some of their rubber trimming as well
It you cut it correctly, the fit is tight & then you can fasten it to the small pillars there with heavy duty cable ties - takes maybe an hour?
It's been more than a year in place and I'm still quite pleased with both function & appearance
Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
In Canada, active shutters were only on the GT models and were dropped for 2021.
I went by the local dealership and saw that the 2021 CX-30 GT (non turbo) did NOT have the shutters but the 2021 CX-30 GT with turbo DOES have the shutters still. At least this was the case on the GT's with turbo that were on the lot.

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
40 Posts
For the US, this video confirms that the shutters are included with the top Premium trim, but are not included on lower trims. For some reason the feature is not listed anywhere on the trim feature lists.

Hmmm i have a 21 premium and no shutters,,,maybe they were discontinued? Dunno. Here is a video how they work.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
8 Posts
It looks to me like the condenser is terribly exposed to damage from stones etc

Comapre to the Mazda 3 where it's properly shielded:

View attachment 77
View attachment 78
It's strange that Mazda left it that exposed down there. Looks awful seeing the unsightly internals of the vehicle exposed like that, in addition to any potential risks of damage from rocks & such. Such a glaring OEM oversight from a solid company like Mazda (hopefully not just to save a few bucks on producing).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Exposed AC condensers is nothing new, there are many years and models this way.

I agree, they can be susceptible to damage.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts