2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good luck as well jhaupt47! Let us know how it goes 💋💋

·
Registered
2020 Preferred Snowflake AWD
191 Posts
These type of updates should be pushed out over the air to customers directly. Unless there is an issue, I don't bring my car to the dealership since I do as much of the maintenance as I can myself. And I am not in favor of the I have to ask dealership about updates bs either.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here's what my dealer said:
Software updates for the Mazda connect system are only performed by dealers if there is a system issue. Such as the screen rebooting. I have not seen anything through Mazda for an update for the transmission, and I did speak to our shop foreman and he has not seen or heard anything from Mazda on that either. Mazda does not have anyone that actively updates guests on updates unless it falls under a recall.

--Brandon Neumann Luther Brookdale Mazda Mitsubishi

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
404 Posts
Hmm interesting I mean I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.. but I know for certain the master tech who worked on my vehicle did show me the update and it was a pcm update so I'm not sure what else I can say regards to your experience.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT - 2.5 L AWD
158 Posts
I had my vehicle in today for the 8000km inspection and oil change. I asked about the PCM update and they stated that they are not aware of an update from Mazda. I do not have any issues, was just curious.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had my vehicle in today for the 8000km inspection and oil change. I asked about the PCM update and they stated that they are not aware of an update from Mazda. I do not have any issues, was just curious.
wow already a oil change at 8,000.. had mine in for just the inspection and its not due for a oil change till 16,000 km as per mazda https://fs.sm360.ca/var/mazda/2020_Mazda_CX-30_Maintenance_Brochure_EN.pdf

and that's what my dealer ship is following so i hope you aren't getting ripped off...

·
Registered
404 Posts
i am old school as well and i had two nissans that both as per nissan service bookone said 8k and the other 6k but i have always followed the maintenance book to a T and have also worked many different roles in dealerships and i can say that vehicles have allot better technology in them now and engine oil now in vehicles is now full synthetic 0W-20 and lasts allot more then what it used to many years ago.
I had a 2012 nissan sentra long time ago now but i at first let the dealer tell me when the oil needed to be changed and from day one i used full synthetic and they had me going 4500 km per oil change and then i happened to go into nissans website and lookup the maintenance info and it said 6000 km so i waited till then one time and then sent an oil sample off to a lab when i changed the oil my self at the dealership i was working at which was a toyota dealer ship and the lab told me that i was at a perfect oil change interval as far as contaminates etc.
what people dont know is that dealerships make most of their money not off the vehicle sale but the vehicle service it self and well I will let this CBC market place vid speak fot it self :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thank you for the information
not a problem :) and i wouldnt be afraid to follow mazdas oil change scedule of 16,000 km or when the vehicles oil life moniter lights up the wrench light and only go for the 8,000 km tire rotation and inspection like indicated in the cx-30 maintenance guide.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wonder how "smart" the oil life monitor is. I'd guess it takes a number of variables into account like engine temp, revs, mileage, outside temp, various engine operating conditions, etc.

Anyone have much experience with this type of technology in other vehicles?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wonder how "smart" the oil life monitor is. I'd guess it takes a number of variables into account like engine temp, revs, mileage, outside temp, various engine operating conditions, etc.

Anyone have much experience with this type of technology in other vehicles?
it also takes in to account how you drive the vehicle along with the other variables you mentioned..if you drive it hard or only take short trips and the engine doesn't reach operating temp then the oil life monitor will go down quicker especially in the cold climates that i get here in the winter of -35 degrees C and more frequent oil changes will be required.
As far as how good these are.. i had a 2006 Acura CSX and it had a oil life moniter and the dealership would only change the oil when it reached 10% and the wrench indicator came on.. i had that vehicle for a long time and it was still going strong at 3 hundred thousand km and from day one i followed it as the dealership never put a sticker other then telling me to follow the wrench indicator.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Or, is it simply based on mileage alone?
no it uses driving habits along with many other variables.. i even reached out to mazda customer service via Phone.. and it even tells you in the Manuel that it is in fact intelligent and the dealership told me as well.

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
51 Posts
no it uses driving habits along with many other variables.. i even reached out to mazda customer service via Phone.. and it even tells you in the Manuel that it is in fact intelligent and the dealership told me as well.
Thanks, that's really clever. Is it in CX 30's sold here in the States or just Canada.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks, that's really clever. Is it in CX 30's sold here in the States or just Canada.
it should be in the USA models as well.. go into the info tainment centre and go under information and vehcile status and maintenance and if it is set to automatic it will fully use the oil life miniter sensors but do remember tho that it needs a inspection only which includes tire rotation but no oil change.. every 8k or 4970.97 miles but if it is set to Manuel to remind you of the inspection service don't worry it will still tell you about the oil change as the system will still work.

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
51 Posts
it should be in the USA models as well.. go into the info tainment centre and go under information and vehcile status and maintenance and if it is set to automatic it will fully use the oil life miniter sensors but do remember tho that it needs a inspection only which includes tire rotation but no oil change.. every 8k or 4970.97 miles but if it is set to Manuel to remind you of the inspection service don't worry it will still tell you about the oil change as the system will still work.
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
Interesting... Here in Romania the dealer showed me that oil change is due every 20000km or one year, whichever comes first. As I tend to drive lower and lower distances every year I wouldn't worry about that.
On my previous Volkswagen, the garage switched the "flex service, up to 20000km" to "fixed service, up to 15000km or 365 days" saying that 20000km is a lot, and from their experience oil quality sensor is not really accurate, and would kick in in some cases after more than one year, which is not good, as oil loses properties even if the car is not driven much.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Interesting... Here in Romania the dealer showed me that oil change is due every 20000km or one year, whichever comes first. As I tend to drive lower and lower distances every year I wouldn't worry about that.
On my previous Volkswagen, the garage switched the "flex service, up to 20000km" to "fixed service, up to 15000km or 365 days" saying that 20000km is a lot, and from their experience oil quality sensor is not really accurate, and would kick in in some cases after more than one year, which is not good, as oil loses properties even if the car is not driven much.
I was going by if you drive the vehicle daily but even if you don't it dose say 1 year in the Mazda maintenance guide :) 16,000 km is what they say but it can decrease in the computer depending on driving habits etc like discussed before and if it doesn't tell you which it should but if some strange reason one year or 16,000 whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv X AWD UK
12 Posts
If I may bring this discussion back to firmware updates - I’ve successfully updated the firmware on a U.K. CX-30 to 10047 , but (as forewarned by the update instructions) the microphone has stopped working. Has anyone else encountered this?

I’m contemplating just disconnecting the battery for a while once I find the correct wrench.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts