Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

flat battery

40K views 78 replies 21 participants last post by  DONDERA 
#1 · (Edited)
hello guy!
proud CX-30 FWD owner here in Europe, love this car and Mazda generally, coming after 4 years with Mazda 3 (y)

I got this car 3 months ago, a few days back, being at work and having the car close to me, because at times I needed stuff from inside, I decided to keep it unlocked with the keys inside and this was for 12 hrs.

I finished my duty and when I was about to go ... boom, no power whatsoever :confused:

the car service arrived quickly and helped me to start the car, all good then, they checked the alternator and seem to be OK as well but what may have happened?

I suspect the in-car lights might have been on but still, I couldn`t expect the battery to drain that much, the ext lights were surely off so, did anyone encountered such issue?

Dan

#2 ·
as far as I know, the interior lights switch off after a few minutes, even when the keys are inside (if all doors are closed shut).

I would take it up with Gasan, your official Mazda dealer (I'm a fellow Maltese) as it's definitely something with the said battery or else, the whole key/radar interior system which detects the keys inside (in order not to let you accidentally lock the said keys)

#4 ·
an update ...
long story short, faulty main battery :confused:

the first check-up revealed nothing faulty as the "engine malfunction" message that I`ve had after the second battery failure has disappeared and the technician cloud have not identified any fault, probably did not properly check the battery as I have suggested them ... then a third flat battery occurred, I started the car with a power bank, the same error appeared and I went straight away to the dealer. This time they said that the hybrid battery is faulty and needs to be ordered and to use the car without keeping it unlocked :unsure: but ... after several minutes waiting to get the car back, they returned saying that the car refuses to start even with the help of the power bank lol ... I said ... guys, just give me a backup car and let me go to work eh ..

Next day miracle, they called back saying that the main battery was faulty this time, they replaced it and ... it looks ok now, I can keep my car unlocked with or without the fob inside.

I am still concerned, guess I will check again by keeping it unlocked for longer although I am forced to drive almost every day.

You may try this as well and let us / me know how it goes.

thanks for your insights :)

#22 ·
Hello Everybody, let me briefly describe the battery problems I came across with my CX-30 FWD 2.0 Skyactiv-X.

The first situation occurred one month ago: About 1:30h listening to the radio inside the car (drive-in cinema - popular in pandemic time), nothing else was switched on in the car and the engine could not be started again after that time! The battery was completely flat and even the windows in the car could not be closed. With help of insurance, the engine could luckily be started again having power-bank attached. After the situation, the car and the battery were investigated a few days by Mazda, but they did not find any anomaly. The explanation was more, less as follows: "The car is new and the battery could be probably in the lower values of power/voltage". It was however rather hard to believe as I usually drive longer distances between the cities (~400km) and I think it is far enough that the battery could be charged accordingly.

Second situation I had 2 weeks ago. 15-20min. sitting in the garage and adjusting navigation, testing how voice recognition works and when I finally wanted to drive I could not start the car! All the icons/indicators started flashing entirely chaotically, Start/Stop button was blinking in orange, SOS system diode was red, left headlight turned automatically on (after 15min it turned off again). After 30min. icons stopped blinking and there was knocking sound coming from the undercarriage (this phenomenon I recorded on video). I had completely no influence on the car. Mazda Assistance was called and the engine could even not be started with the help of power-bank and had to be towed away to the nearest Mazda Authorised Service..... This time Mazda decided to replace the main battery.

Since then nothing spectacular has happened again luckily :) But I noticed however the same day I received the car back, the i-stop system not working at all (it remains in "not ready" state on the information screen). The i-stop problem was already reported to Mazda and I will deliver them the car soon to have it verified. The car is generally awesome, but I feel rather disappointed by the power supply issue and I am still not certain whether the main battery is the only reason for the problem.

@Dan19: Could you please say if the main battery was only replaced in your car or hybrid battery also? What was your experience with the car last time? Any new observations? Regards :)

#5 ·
Hi Dan,

I've had similar problems in that my battery has died after the alarm has gone off for no apparent reason. This has happened on 3 occasions and my car is now back at the garage for a second time. They have already fitted a new battery but again the alarm went off and the car was completely dead. I couldn't open the door or put the alarm off using the key. It goes off after 10 long repeats. On one occasion the alarm went off even though the battery was apparently dead! It is certainly loud enough. I was given a replacement mazda 3 and even though I hadn't driven it the alarm went off at 7.30 in the morning. Am I doing something wrong? The keys are kept in the house and the car in the drive. I have had a mazda 121, 323, 626, 5 and Cx3 without any problems. Any ideas please?

#6 ·
Hi Dan,

I've had similar problems in that my battery has died after the alarm has gone off for no apparent reason. This has happened on 3 occasions and my car is now back at the garage for a second time. They have already fitted a new battery but again the alarm went off and the car was completely dead. I couldn't open the door or put the alarm off using the key. It goes off after 10 long repeats. On one occasion the alarm went off even though the battery was apparently dead! It is certainly loud enough. I was given a replacement mazda 3 and even though I hadn't driven it the alarm went off at 7.30 in the morning. Am I doing something wrong? The keys are kept in the house and the car in the drive. I have had a mazda 121, 323, 626, 5 and Cx3 without any problems. Any ideas please?
I, too, had a dead battery issue and was told that Mazda was aware of the problem and thought it was caused by the car searching for something. I may have left it unlocked but the fob was well away. My audio had already crashed so it may have been on an endless search for Pandora.

My metal key didn't work because it had never been cut for the car. Mazda sent a code and the dealer cut it.

A "Global System Reboot" had me back on the road and so far/so good. I do make sure it's locked.

#16 ·
I too have a persistent battery problem.
Day after delivery in March, I couldn't unlock the vehicle using the fob or drivers door handle. Had to use the manual key.
Attempted to start the engine and nothing, except a few instrument cluster lights flashed randomly when I pushed the starter button.
DC volt meter on the battery showed 7vDC.
Mazda response called out who jump started the vehicle. No issues found that would have depleted the battery in a day, no cabin lights left on, all doors secured.

I left the battery on a 24 hour charge using a battery conditioner.

No issues since, till last week when three days after using the vehicle on a long journey, I couldn't again get access using the door handle nor key fob. Absolutely everything was dead and having used the manual key to gain entry, the dash was completely dark.
DC volt meter on the batter showed +2.4vDC. That's three days after using the vehicle. No heated seats, no lights, just lots of mileage, mostly at speed.
Mazda response called again. Jump started the vehicle and again, nothing found to cause the issue.

The car's booked in now to the supplying Dealer.

#17 ·
I too have a persistent battery problem.
Day after delivery in March, I couldn't unlock the vehicle using the fob or drivers door handle. Had to use the manual key.
Attempted to start the engine and nothing, except a few instrument cluster lights flashed randomly when I pushed the starter button.
DC volt meter on the battery showed 7vDC.
Mazda response called out who jump started the vehicle. No issues found that would have depleted the battery in a day, no cabin lights left on, all doors secured.

I left the battery on a 24 hour charge using a battery conditioner.

No issues since, till last week when three days after using the vehicle on a long journey, I couldn't again get access using the door handle nor key fob. Absolutely everything was dead and having used the manual key to gain entry, the dash was completely dark.
DC volt meter on the batter showed +2.4vDC. That's three days after using the vehicle. No heated seats, no lights, just lots of mileage, mostly at speed.
Mazda response called again. Jump started the vehicle and again, nothing found to cause the issue.

The car's booked in now to the supplying Dealer.
Sounds very similar to my problems. I couldn't find anything left on and checked to make sure everything was off. I followed Mazda's advice on keeping the car running during lock down. It all seemed fine until the alarm went off again. Currently on my 2nd battery waiting to see what happens next. I'm still waiting to get mine back from the garage. Good luck!

#23 ·
On a German CX30 forum I am also participating in we have a thread about a couple of people have experienced flat batteries, in one case even three days after the battery had already been replaced as a fix. There seems to be a condition possible when the car is drawing 6A even when not in use and locked properly. Mazda Germany has been aware about several cases apparantly and will sent an expert to one case reported last Friday to investigate that case. If there is any feedback mentioned I will report it here.

#25 ·
Thank you for the information Guys!

@Ronnie: The information is very useful and I have passed it on my Mazda dealer. I have already found the thread on german cx30 forum under: Batterien im CX-30 - Mazda CX-30 Forum (I'll put there my observation).

By the way: Recently I noticed another issue on my Mazda. After driving a few thousand km I wanted to test how it runs at a little higher rotation speeds (5k - 5.5k) and ... I noticed sometimes lack of power for about 2-3 sec. at the beginning of overtaking manoevre..... I only hope that it is eventually related to the mentioned power issue (as it is mild hybrid car). I will set up however a new topic on the forum and explain it in more details.

#26 ·
Hallo.
Kjenner meg igjen i de fleste innlegg i denne tråden "flatt batteri".
Jeg kjøpte Mazda Cx30 min 28. mai, og allerede 11. juni (14 dager) var batteriet flatt. De prøvde med poowerbank å starte det. Det funket. Måtte lade det over natten. Etter noen dager det samme problemet. Så byttet de til et helt nytt batteri. Gikk bare 14 dager, da kom problemet tilbake.
Bilen er nå uten strøm for tredje eller er det fjerde gang ??
Nå vil de bytte datamaskinhjernen på bilen.
Alle mulige hypotetiske forklaringer på feilen har skjedd, men vi får se hva resultatet blir.
Skal skrive mer når jeg får svarene :)
Men i det minste den nye bilen jeg gledet meg til å bruke 28. mai, har nå allerede vært i verkstedet 3 til 4 ganger. Ingen "NY" bil lenger :(

#28 ·
Got my car back from the dealer today (2nd time they have had it for the flat battery issue) This time I presented them with the Mazda TSI/TSB RO35/20 ( German version ) that quotes VIN's and production dates (CX-30 production prior to 12/13 March 2020) . The "no charge" invoice given to me says "Carried out checks for the battery going flat. Inspected battery and carried out parasitic draw test and found ok. Checked for TSB's and found RO35/20 and reopened PQI to Mazda from last visit. Advised to carry out IP-ESU update. Carried out - all ok"
What really annoys me is that the TSB is dated 30 April 2020, affects the Mazda 3 and CX-30 and the translated title is Discharged battery after long parking. Yet the dealer had no knowledge and Mazda UK Customer Services profess that they not aware of the issue and what conclusions can be drawn from "reopened PQI to Mazda from last visit."?. This is not an isolated incident having had the same responses in respect of RO18/20, an update to Mazda Connect that addresses amongst other things the HUD speed limits not displaying if a phone running Android Auto or Apple Car Play is connected.
The dealer has had the car for a total 8 days addressing the flat battery issue!

#76 ·
Got my car back from the dealer today (2nd time they have had it for the flat battery issue) This time I presented them with the Mazda TSI/TSB RO35/20 ( German version ) that quotes VIN's and production dates (CX-30 production prior to 12/13 March 2020) . The "no charge" invoice given to me says "Carried out checks for the battery going flat. Inspected battery and carried out parasitic draw test and found ok. Checked for TSB's and found RO35/20 and reopened PQI to Mazda from last visit. Advised to carry out IP-ESU update. Carried out - all ok"
What really annoys me is that the TSB is dated 30 April 2020, affects the Mazda 3 and CX-30 and the translated title is Discharged battery after long parking. Yet the dealer had no knowledge and Mazda UK Customer Services profess that they not aware of the issue and what conclusions can be drawn from "reopened PQI to Mazda from last visit."?. This is not an isolated incident having had the same responses in respect of RO18/20, an update to Mazda Connect that addresses amongst other things the HUD speed limits not displaying if a phone running Android Auto or Apple Car Play is connected.
The dealer has had the car for a total 8 days addressing the flat battery issue!

Hello Peter!

Have you had any problems since then?

I also did the update from APR 2020 and after that I started having problems with the sudden decrease of the battery.

Right now I have the car in service and they honestly don't know what to do with it. The Mazda service recommends that I change the battery...but from what I have found on the forum this is not a solution, even with a new battery this problem manifests itself.

Thank you

#29 ·
I received CX30 March 2020 had flat battery seven times , they finally put in a new battery
And reprogrammed one of my key fobs. Two weeks later flat battery again does anyone know what may be causing this problem with a brand new car, it’s costing me a fortune in lost earnings, I use my car for work ?.

#30 ·
Since your car was built before mid March I think it is demonstrating the symptoms addressed by the RO35/20 software update - battery sometimes going flat after being parked overnight. I've not seen the English version of the update TSI and I don't speak German. After the car is locked it's "electronics" remain active for sometime (no more than 15 minutes?) and this drain can be as much as 6 Amps. The fault is that under some unknown circumstances parts of the car's electronics don't switch off and hence the battery will become flat. One theory I have is that it is caused by the key getting close to the car but the door not being opened - I noticed that when I walk towards the front of the locked car there are distinct clicks/clunks (electrical relays?) when the key is 2 - 3 metres from the front of the car yet the activation zone for keyless entry is around 1m from the door handles. This would give the unpredictable occurrence of the fault - you have to go near the car, with the key in your pocket and not open the car or start it for I guess at least 10 hours to get a flat battery.
Since the dealer is aware of your "flat battery" I would have thought a telephone call and "could you look at TSI RO35/20" would get action. I got action by ringing Mazda and asking if it was acceptable for Mazda Assist to come out twice in 10 days to a flat battery and just jump start the car. The call was made around mid day and around 2hrs later recovery to the dealer and courtesy car offered

#32 ·
[QUOTE = "Ronnie, innlegg: 4124, medlem: 563"]
Et par tyskere fikk nå sin ESU erstattet etter samråd med forhandler med Mazda Tyskland, og dette løste det for dem.
[/SITAT]
Er problemet endelig løst ??
Ikke sikker så lenge det ikke kan komme noen konkret og logisk info.

#34 ·
[QUOTE = "Ronnie, innlegg: 4124, medlem: 563"]
Et par tyskere fikk nå sin ESU erstattet etter samråd med forhandler med Mazda Tyskland, og dette løste det for dem.
[/SITAT]
Er problemet endelig løst ??
Ikke sikker så lenge det ikke kan komme noen konkret og logisk info.
WHAT is ESU UNIT, I will mention this to the garage who searching to fix my car tomorrow.
how is it fixed ? Are they taking away something from the car ? Or are they
Improving the car with a better ESU ?

#38 ·
I’m currently experiencing similar issues. Twice now the battery has drained after the car being parked for 48 hours, both times in very hot (30+ dec C) weather.

First time Mazda Assistance came out, got the car started and took it to the dealer. After a week, they informed me that they had put a new battery in as the original one was dead.

Second time, I opened it up to load the car up for a Staycation, went to program the nav system and found the dash warning lights making like a disco. Car wouldn’t start, so called Mazda Assistance again. Waiting on a resolution

#54 ·
I’m currently experiencing similar issues. Twice now the battery has drained after the car being parked for 48 hours, both times in very hot (30+ dec C) weather.

First time Mazda Assistance came out, got the car started and took it to the dealer. After a week, they informed me that they had put a new battery in as the original one was dead.

Second time, I opened it up to load the car up for a Staycation, went to program the nav system and found the dash warning lights making like a disco. Car wouldn’t start, so called Mazda Assistance again. Waiting on a resolution
I resorted to emailing Mazda UK regarding the TSB issued in Germany about the power issue. Still waiting on a response.

Just picked my car up after Mazda had it for over three weeks. Initially, Mazda tried to tell me that the dash cam I hardwired to the internal fuse box was on all the time and cause the problem. I told them to check the camera for footage and, if it had been recording during the two days the vehicle was parked, I would accept this.

After a couple of days of silence, I drove to the dealership and asked what was going on. They informed me that they had sent a report off to Mazda and were waiting for a response. After a few more days of silence, I drove to the dealership again (next to impossible to get through on the phone) and was told that they were waiting for a replacement ‘module’

The ’module‘ was fitted today and when I collected the car, I was informed that Mazda advised that the circuit I had connected the dashcam to was permanent live and this was causing the issue. When I disputed this, they told me that the circuit was only rated for 2 milliamp draw and the dash cam takes more than this. I told them that I had been in contact with the dashcam manufacturer and know that the dashcam was rated at 2 amps and had built in protection to prevent the voltage from dropping below 11.5v. I also asked why the circuit had a 15 amp fuse if it was only rated for 2 milliamps..... Anyway, they recommended that I get an auto electrician to connect it to a switched circuit, so the camera is not live all the time. I will do this as there may be issues in the future if I don’t and have more issues with the car.

I was told at the beginning that if it was the camera causing the problem, I would be billed for the work, something which I agreed to. When I collected the card, I was informed that there would be no charge as Mazda agreed to consider it a warranty repair (Which makes me suspicious that there is bugger all wrong with the camera setup)

when I asked for details of the work done, I was told that ‘all the paperwork has to go to Mazda UK, so they were unable to provide me any details’ I feel another unanswered email to Mazda UK coming on.....

#50 ·
Left my iphone connected at the usb in front for couple of hours by accident after parking at friends. Wasn't charged.

Regarding overnight flat battery for no apparent reason, on the German forum couple of people with battery problems have reported to have received a newly released Body Control Module update to mitigate the problem. We are hunting for a TSI now.

#52 ·
Mazda Germany has released service bulletin E14/020 to their dealers that there is a potential issue with a "Welcome Light" function draining the battery, preventing the car to go to sleep. This option is not available in EU but might accidentally been activated in the inner software nevertheless. Dealers are advised to check with MDARS that the function has really been de-activated and if not, to de-activate. I enclose the PDF, but it is in German. I guess you need to have a module installed as well to actually have the option, as with the ambient lightning sold as an option and also needs to be activated in software by the dealer.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.